Back to Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach by University of London

This course explores ways of teaching reading skills in English as Second and Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) using a task-based approach. You will be introduced to the concept of task and the key principles of task-based language teaching (TBLT) and learning. TBLT uses communicative tasks as the key unit for creating language learning activities. You will also examine the role of reading in real-life and in second and foreign language teaching and current thinking about the interface between TBLT and second language reading. You will explore how TBLT and teaching second language reading can be successfully integrated in practice through analysing task-based reading materials. The course culminates in creating task-based materials for teaching reading in your own language teaching contexts. After completing the course, you will be able to: 1. Explain the main components and tenets of a task-based approach to teaching language; 2. Explain the main issues involved in teaching reading; 3. Illustrate connections between TBLT approaches and the teaching of reading; 4. Integrate tasks into your own teaching; 5. Identify reading texts that are suitable for the construction of tasks; and 6. Construct reading tasks and sequences for use in your own classroom....

RY
Dec 19, 2018

The course has refreshed me on how to do Task based teaching in my classroom. The professors and guest speakers are all very helpful in giving new ideas for lesson plan. I really enjoy the lesson.

DA
Nov 20, 2018

An exceptional course which brings up really interesting, thought-provoking ideas about pedagogy and ELT. Well-researched, easy to understand, and has some great assignment topics. Loved it.

26 - 50 of 137 Reviews for Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach

By Ann Y

Feb 2, 2021

I have learned a lot from this course. First of all, I learn additional methods to design a student-centered course and to consider each reading as a task rather than just a drill or an activity. Second, this course reinforces the importance of extensive reading for students, which is crucial. Only self-motivated reading can last longer and improve much. The last one is that even a boring text can be transformed into a task to help students learn from the reading assignment. These notions help me to change and improve my strategy and lesson plans.

By Maria R

Nov 16, 2020

I work as an online English language tutor, so the knowledge I've gained is extremely useful and I've been using it on practice already. I've learned a lot of new and useful information thanks to this course and its amazing lecturers.

An interesting fact that I didn't know about before the beginning of the course: Dr. Amos Paran teaches at Goldsmiths, University of London, where I got my Media & Communications degree in 2015. Again, I would like to thank all the lecturers for this interesting, informative course.

By Widyawati N

Jul 14, 2017

I learnt a lot on this course and have enjoyed the learning process. It is conducted in digestible manner and the videos are very useful and easy to follow!

The only suggestion I would make is that some of the given instructions for the assignments aren't very clear or worded quite ambiguously. Other than that, this course is very beneficial and useful and some of the ideas I have learnt have already been implement in my classrooms.

By Mary-Julia L L S

Nov 18, 2019

Quite an experience for me since this is my very first online course. I like the clear instructions and layout of the course. Although there was time when I was a little lost with the submission since no one else was grading my work even though I submitted it way on time, I eventually found a way to interact with other course members to help commenting and grading my work. I will definitely join another course in the future.

By Lea C

Jun 24, 2017

I am really grateful to finish this course in Coursera. Coursera has given me a chance to learn a lot about my field of interest (Languages, Reading and Literacy). The course about Task Based Approach is a avenue for a teacher to upgrade his/her teaching techniques especially during reading class. I absolutely recommended this course to all Language and Reading teachers. Happy Learning everyone!

By Sofía G P D

Apr 22, 2019

It is a very useful course to learn about how to make reading a more practical activity inside the classroom. They give lots of resources to put into practice in the classes and the explanations are clear. I learned a lot and I recommend this course to everyone who wants to enrich their knowledge and become a good professional in teaching reading.

By Johnrey L P

Sep 26, 2019

This course is an absolute refresher of my stored- reading knowledge. It is indeed a very informative comprehensive learning experience. The speaker or lecturers are very competent and compassionate in presenting and delivering a crystal clear instruction, valuable researched inputs information and well- spoken presentation. A huge thanks.

By Osei A

Mar 2, 2021

This course is great. It has really added more to what I knew. The assignment section gave me the opportunity to put what I was learning into practice. I have been able to share some wonderful ideas from the course to other language teachers and they really loved it. Thank you giving me to the chance to learn with you from afar.

By Aasiya S

Nov 13, 2020

A fantastic course which was easy to follow and had a great format. It allowed me to learn and apply my knowledge. I enjoyed reading peers work and giving them feedback. It has encouraged me as well as given me the confidence to use task-based teaching in my classrooms. Thank you for developing this course!

By Emmanuella B d S C

Feb 9, 2019

I've loved taking this course! My initial intention was to improve my ESP classes, since I work only with reading comprehension, but I've learned so much about using tasks in class that I'm looking forward to start using them with my other students. Thank you very much for providing such an enlightening course!

By Vanessa R

Jan 6, 2020

This is an excellent class because you not only get introduced to things you may not have known about before, but also you get to do hands-on assignments applying the things you're hearing about. It has also given me concrete skills I can use since it's built around having you create your own TBLT activities.

By Tiffany P

Jun 3, 2021

As an EFL teacher, one aspect I did not focus on was reading. Showing or giving the students the opportunity to enjoy reading and focused more on the linguistic aspects of English. After taking this course, I look forward to applying what I have learned and hopefully inspire students to read and enjoy it.

By Ria V S

Aug 23, 2021

First of all, I would like to say thank you so much for give me the oppurtunity to join and learn from this course. Also, thank you for coursera to provide this course so I can learn everything from various sources. To every lectures that invole in this course thank you so much and have a blessed life.

By José H G

Dec 28, 2019

Excelente curso de la UCL, aborda en profundidad la lectura como herramienta de aprendizaje y pone en valor su influencia , haciéndonos reflexionar en aspectos de los que no somos conscientes cuando leemos. Recomiendo como imprescindible este curso a los profesores de Inglés y educadores en general.

By Nikolaeva M A

Nov 21, 2020

I've learned new facts about task-based and task-supported teaching that was highly important for me as a teacher. I also prepared several tasks for assessment which I'm planning to use with my students. I'd love to express my deepest gratitude to the course creators for their professional work.

By Kateryna R

Oct 4, 2021

I am thankful to all the instructors and developers of this course for immensely valuable information. I have taken a lot of courses on Coursera, and this one is among the best (if not the best!) in terms of combining theory and practice. All practical tasks were interesting and challenging.

By Son T B

Sep 15, 2021

The course provides me with useful information about how design a task-based reading lesson and how to develop students' reading room beyond the classroom. I also like the fact that at the end of each week, we can have a task to do and interact with our fellow participants.

By Kashevskaya A M

Apr 9, 2018

Thanks for very interesting course that gave me an opportunity to involve into the world of reading activities and know a lot of useful information about it. And also for the communicative practice with such interesting people that are really good specialists.

By Eli A

May 5, 2021

Thank you dear friends and colleagues for the interesting and useful course of the University of London on Teaching/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach. Stay healthy and God bless you and waiting for the next interesting course that you can offer me!

By Dr. D C

Jun 12, 2020

Taught by passionate teachers, the course will inspire teachers to design their pedagogical practices in a learner-centric manner. It sensitizes teachers to the perspective of the learners and their varied challenges and needs. Superb course!

By Stefany B

Aug 9, 2020

This course is useful for us as teachers, I learn many tasks and different activities to apply in the classroom and also how to adapt some activities that some books bring into tasks to make your class closer to a real-life context.

By Brenda H

Jun 12, 2020

Excellent teaching : the teachers are outstanding, Easy to follow materials. The assignments provided opportunities for students to review the topics. The activities were authentic and can be used as examples in your own teaching.

By Francesco G

Jan 27, 2021

I found the course both very well explained and useful in its content. TBL is a very useful tool for an ESL or EFL teacher as it is very versatile and can easily be integrated with other teaching methodologies and activities.

By Ifrah y

Aug 8, 2020

It is a very very creative task in this course , and totally it was a new learning, I am very happy to see my certificate after completing this course effectively. great opportunity to learn a new ways to teach or learn.

By Panupan P

Dec 14, 2016

This course is really nice for someone who is working in teaching English as a second of foreign language area. It enhance us to be more understanding in L2 reading context, and I enjoy working on the assignment.