Back to Ethical Social Media

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ethical Social Media by The University of Sydney

Social media connects us across space and time, allowing us to find like-minded communities and participate creatively in public life as never before. We may often use social media without thinking much about the possible consequences. But there is a shadow side associated with social media use, which takes the form of hate speech, increased surveillance, lack of anonymity and questionable use of our data. What do we need to know to use social media spaces effectively, in a way that is safe and productive for all? This course will guide you into a deeper exploration of online identity, social media communities and their users. You will examine the ways that social media is being used by public institutions such as government to build participation and conversation with audiences. You will encounter the most common ethical debates in social media. You will also have the opportunity to build your practical skills by developing your professional social media profile, defining your audience, building your social media influence and understanding how to interpret data analytics to "listen" and communicate well....

BK
Sep 19, 2016

All users are good at using social Media but they don't really understand the SM Ethics. Thanks to this course to give us the world view on SM Ethics. Love the course

MK
May 4, 2017

This course have increased my knowledge about Social Media and how to plan Social media strategy. Provided materials was good too. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Reviews for Ethical Social Media

By Muhammad K

May 4, 2017

By Jaime L

Oct 24, 2018

Very interesting topic and explanations on how to tackle it in the new era

By Vivek S

Jun 2, 2020

Very Good Course. I liked the content. The only difficulty I faced was the Forum was less active.

By Fahad M

It was good, but could be more practical rather than just lectures and theories.

By Allison M

Dec 28, 2016

Having to pay before you take the course is really disappointing. Not many students to interact with because of this. Course was very basic also. Not worth the money. Coursera offers many quality courses which are much better than this one.

By Scott S

Jun 11, 2019

Content is largely out of date, finicky wording on questions, no fellow students to "grade" (yet, it forms part of the assessment).

Great idea though, had high hopes!

By Eva V

Dec 17, 2016

This course gives a great overview of the aspects concerning ethics you have to keep in mind while working with social media. This course has helped me to get a better grip on issues like privacy and accessibility. It says that reading the articles will take you 10 minutes, it took me an hour. I loved the variety of tutorials, interviews, assignments, readings etc. I would have preferred that my final assignment was reviewed by the professor himself.

By Premila G

Oct 23, 2020

This course broaden my knowledge about social media ethics and how to run a social media campaign ethically. Very clear content, delivery and the assignments are very useful for actual implementation of a campaign. Thank you very much for instructor - university and coursera.

By BILU K

Sep 20, 2016

By JORGE L M G

Jul 26, 2020

Very interesting. I will recommend it to both future social media managers as well to academic researchers.

By Darshit

Apr 5, 2020

Great MOOC!

By Margherita

Apr 17, 2018

This course gave me the opportunity to think about social media in a new way.

I liked the lesson number 4 because it was the most "practical".

By Shreyasi J

Sep 28, 2020

This was a very unique yet interesting course. I learnt a lot about things which seemed really trivial before!

By Marina N N

Sep 15, 2020

great course

By Joy S

Jun 1, 2017

for those who are working with social media.

By AKSHAY M

Jul 30, 2020

Please think before choosing this course as you have to wait for a very long time to make your peer-graded assignment to get approved. There is a lack of Peer Reviews so think of it once before choosing this course.

Here you only have theories with no practical assignments & its not worthy at all. It took me around a week's time to request people to please grade my assignment.