Back to Everyday Chinese Medicine

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Everyday Chinese Medicine by The Chinese University of Hong Kong

This course aims to serve as an education platform on Chinese medicine (CM) for the general public. Our primary goal is to empower healthcare choices by promoting awareness and practical application on CM diagnostic and therapeutic approaches, as well as regulation on CM services and herbal products using international examples. In the first part of this course, learners will develop skills in applying basic theory of Chinese medicine (CM) for understanding health and illnesses, and be able to compare and contrast views from Chinese and western medicine perspectives. In the second part, learners will be able to diagnose their own CM body constitution, and to apply appropriate CM self-care practice including food therapy, acupressure, Baduanjin and meditation. Learners will also be able to identify commonly used Chinese herbs, and to describe the core principle of acupuncture. Specific competencies include: 1. State the basic theory of Chinese medicine and compare it with the principle of western medicine. 2. Apply the diagnostic approach of Chinese medicine and describe one’s body constitution. 3. Describe the core principle of Chinese herbs and acupuncture, and to understand their role in promoting health and wellness. 4. Develop self-care plan according to body constitution, using the practice of food therapy, acupressure, and Baduanjin....

AA
Feb 19, 2019

My interest in herbalism and alternate medicine brought me to this course. It was very informative indeed and I made notes often. The tests are also to the point. Thank you, professors and Coursera!

AP
Dec 28, 2020

A very nice program for understanding the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Quite analogous to the Ayurvedic Medicine that deals with imbalance of vata (air), pittha (fire) and kapha (cold).

151 - 175 of 209 Reviews for Everyday Chinese Medicine

By 王治国

Apr 7, 2019

讲的

By Seth V P

This course was very helpful for me to get a nice grasp of the core basics of Traditional Chinese Medicine. I'd give this course and its lecturers a 4,5-star review if I could because I enjoyed the course and think it will be useful for my job as a TCM assistant. I wish the questions from the weekly exams would have the function of jumbling around every time I took the test so as to make it a bit more challenging. The English pronunciation in this course was clear enough to understand, although I had to stop and listen again or read the transcription on a few occasions. All in all, a nice learning experience. Thank you!

By Nathan C

Mar 17, 2019

Great overview of Chinese Medicine. This helped me review for parts of my acupuncture certification exam.

Many of the videos were slightly too fast, making it difficult to take notes. This also led to only briefly discussing many points, without providing background information or explanation.

This course is a great survey of Chinese Medicine that should help a curious student to decide whether they would like to continue studying Chinese Medicine in more depth.

By Marissa V

Dec 30, 2020

I found this course to be very good, My only concern was that the reading materials suggested as progression in the course were certainly for me here in Cyprus, very hard to obtain, either online or from other students.

Perhaps the courses provided could set up a library with reading material available to students at some point in the future

By Heba S

Nov 30, 2020

Great course. Untraditional. I had no idea before about Chinese medicine and how it is so different from modern medicine. Great that Chinese still have their integrity and own traditions and science. I hope their is another course on treatment protocols and options to be complementary for this course.

By Mart F B

Sep 10, 2020

El curso me ha parecido interesante como introducción a la Medicina China, pero no aprendes nada en el sentido más terapéutico. Se aprende en que se basa, los síntomas de las enfermedades y pinceladas de cómo diagnosticar una dolencia.

By Warren

Oct 24, 2019

The course offers a good beginning to understanding the topic.

A few additions I am hoping for, or an additional course - would be

1- foods that can alter yin/yang

2- herbs that can alter yin/yang

3- common treatments for common ailments

By Björn G

Mar 17, 2018

Taking acupunkture courses this course helped me getting a basic idea of TCM concepts. A little more depth about the underlying mechanisms would be great especially Week 4 and 5. But after all a great course. Recommend!

By Cris A

Dec 24, 2018

A very complete and thorough explanation of the basic elements of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Good for beginners and people interested in acquiring an introduction to this interesting, extensive knowledge.

By Chia-Yun,Liu

Jun 9, 2020

Very interesting,and easy to understand.Some are pretty complicated,but worth spending my leisure understanding a little about Chinese medicine.Thanks a lot to all the lecturers.

By Khong Zhao Peng

Jul 1, 2018

Thanks for all these useful knowledge and information. It would be a pleasure if this course also provides introduction and some functions of some Chinese Herbs. Thanks

By Dr. J R N

Apr 14, 2018

Good introduction to a more complete course. It would be useful to have always the correct answer when an incorrect one has been provided, otherwise how do we learn?