Back to Everyday Excel, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Everyday Excel, Part 1 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Everyday Excel, Part 1" is aimed at learners who are seeking to learn Excel from the ground up. No experience with Excel is necessary. While this course is meant for beginners of Excel, advanced users will undoubtedly pick up new skills and tools. This course is the first part of a three-part series and Specialization that focuses on teaching introductory through very advanced techniques and tools in Excel. In this course (Part 1), you will: 1) learn how to effectively navigate around the Excel environment; 2) edit and format Excel worksheets; 3) implement basic to advanced Excel functions (including financial, logical, and text functions); 4) learn how to manage data sets (filter, remove duplicates, consolidate data, sort data, and validate data); and 5) learn how to effectively visualize data through scatterplots, column charts, and pie charts. New to Excel? That is entirely fine! This course is meant to be fun, thought-provoking, and appeal to a wide audience. No prior knowledge in programming nor advanced math skills are necessary. The course is organized into 5 Weeks (modules). To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MH
Apr 28, 2021

That was extremely helpful, I liked it so much, I liked everything about it from the breaking down of new subjects, literally someone with zero experience in excel can understand and use these things

GF
Apr 7, 2021

Great course!. It covers very basis tools to more complex features like vlookups function. I have learned new things and definitely very useful for the workday task. Looking forward for the Part 2.

76 - 100 of 650 Reviews for Everyday Excel, Part 1

By Amrit K

Aug 15, 2020

This course is the gem of Coursera. I had already taken a basic introductory course by Lynda.com but I got to learn so much form this course. The questions , the quizzes and the assignment are top notch. You can't pass any test without having a deeper understanding of the topic. And this is what set apart this course from other courses. Hats off to Charlie Nuttelman, the instructor of this course, for his creative approach in every assignment and quizzes. I'm glad that I took this course.

By Morgan C

Mar 17, 2021

Very well presented, clear instructions, and pleasant to listen to. Very practical skillset to have, and this course is a great, comprehensive start in Excel as far as I know! Macro-enabled assignments were really fun, and I learned an incredible amount. I will be returning to my notes from this course for many Excel-related professional/personal projects in the future. Got to teach my Excel-proficient engineer dad a few new tidbits, as well :). Can't wait to continue the specialization!

By Juan P V E

May 11, 2021

Charlie is a great teacher and I loved the course from the very beginning. Even though I thought I had solid basics in Excel, I was open to re-learn stuff because I knew there could things worth learning, as basic as they may seem.

This course did not disappoint and it actually surprised me with the number of things I did not know about and that I could make my life way easier with simpler ways to create tables and make them dynamic. I recommend this course 100% to absolutely everyone.

By Sara G

May 13, 2021

Tough and thorough. There's a lot of info to go over and remember. You will reuse info from earlier weeks in the later weeks. Definitely use the extras the teacher gives to play around with the functions and formulas. There are some things that you need to pick up and realize on your own (critical thinking), but that is best to learn with! It gets a bit fast paced in the last two weeks, I found myself replaying videos over several times to see what was happening.

By Vivek B

May 4, 2021

Until this course I had used Excel a little for graph plotting and simple calculation. I have never realized hoe poerful Excel can be as tool. This course details the important basic functions of Excel, which sets the requirements to carry out complicated tasks in further courses in the series. Instructor Charlie Nuttleman has done wonderful job in creating the contents as well as assignments. If you want to learn Excel or expand your knowledge in Excel, go for it!

By Lavinia V

Apr 8, 2021

Amazing course for beginners. It's super well done and it gives you an overview of all basic functions of excel. You can set subtitles in different languages if needed. It is really visual and practical. The assignments are tricky but they help you learn even more and consolidate the knowledge acquired. I just found a bug starting week 3 where I couldn't select the answers in the "optional" questions along the videos. Overall I'm really happy I took this course.

By Joanna M

Jan 8, 2021

What an excellent course! It was very engaging and I found Charlie to be very easy to follow. I appreciated being able to follow along and the fact that he dove deep into the reasons behind using the certain functions. I use Excel a fair amount but I know it's a use it or lose it type of program. I do feel that the notes I was able to capture and the work we did on the assignments will give me a good reference point if I do not use it enough. Excited for Part 2!

By Maria P

Sep 20, 2020

Thank you, Charlie! I did this course because my skills are much better with the other Microsoft Office apps. Then, while I was completing Weeks 4 and 5 of the course, I suddenly had to manage a large spreadsheet of data on about 800 students (this has nothing to do with my normal teaching job), and all the things we were learning on the course came in useful for quickly managing the data, and reporting on all the different things I was asked to report on.

By Andy Y

Jan 3, 2021

This was very educational. I learned a lot more about Excel compared to before I took this course. The assignments were challenging and can get frustrating when you can't find the solution, but once you figure it out it is very satisfying. In my opinion, you just need a lot of practice in these techniques to excel yourself with the software (no pun intended, haha) Thank you professor Nuttelman for providing this course.

By SHANMUKHA P V

Jul 10, 2021

I have hands-on experience with Excel for last 15 years. But, I have learned and got proficiency of the most of the functions related to data analysis such as data validation, pivot tables, VLOOKUP, INDEX, MATCH etc and, Visualization of data such as scatter diagrams, Bar/column charts, pie charts etc. Explanation with appropriate examples is the highly appreciable. Thanks a lot to the Faculty of this course.

By Tetiana I

Oct 7, 2020

This course was very interesting and it was difficult at the same time. I found out a lot of new and useful information about Excel. Now I am able to use Excel more professional in my work.

Also, I want to say thank you to Charlie. The course was very well thought out. All information was presented clearly and step by step, which is very important. I am happy that I've learnt this course and passed the exams.

By Vijay V

Jul 28, 2020

Series of "everyday excel" course very useful if you want to learn the basic to advance techniques and formula for use. and i would like to thank the Mr. Charlie Nuttelman for making this course challenged at every step once concept is explained. take the course if you want to go from "beginner" level to "master" and i request Mr. Charlie Nuttelman to make more video of this series with new concept.

By Sanjana N

Aug 30, 2020

I absolutely loved this course! I've taken Excel in school before, but I was never taught in this much detail, or with these many helpful tips and tricks. The entire course was super easy to follow, and the amount of effort the instructor has put into designing the course flow is evident and admirable. I also loved the assignments as it really helped me identify how much I had learnt.

By Tauno T

Aug 22, 2020

This course is a good way to start with Excel. The instructors starts with introducing the basic principles and features of Excel and then gradually starts introducing more and more complex features. I also like the quizzes during the screencasts and the weekly quizzes and assignments.

The assignments resemble real life problems and solving the assignments can be quite challenging.

By Miguel A C G

Feb 8, 2021

Interesting how many things we can do in excel with just a bit f time and knowing some of the built in functionalities and formulas. Of course, knowing your data and what you want to do to calculate it, analyze it, plot it, filter it, is paramount to understand the direction you have to go. Overall a very interesting training. Will for sure take part in Everyday Excel, Part 2.

By Aimee H

Aug 31, 2020

I have been in need of a course that would address my deficiencies in using Excel for quite some time. This is the perfect course for those in a similar situation. I found the course to be challenging, but not so difficult that you cannot complete it. The instructor is very clear and concise, which is helpful for someone like me who shies away from anything related to math.

By Prachiti B

Oct 17, 2020

I wish I had an opportunity to do this course earlier when I worked in a laboratory. With the huge amount of data I processed, knowledge of these skills would have been extremely useful and time saving. It would have saved me hours of donkey work my boss expected me to do. Looking forward to completing part 2 of this course. Mr. Nuttelmann, you are an awesome instructor!

By Aravind I

Jul 2, 2020

The course is Excel-ent for the ones who are looking to brush up their excel skills and also for those newbies like me who want to learn some useful things about the software which is the most widely used one in the world!! The instructor, Charlie sir is very good, the autograders are excellent to use, the course material is easy to go by, everything is almost perfect!!!

By William L D C

Mar 10, 2021

I knew very little about Microsoft Excel 365 before I started this course and after completion, I feel that I understand Excel much better and it will be a more useful program for me. I will probably take the 2 and 3rd editions of this course in the near future. Thank you, Dr. Nettleman for making this course informational and the assignments relevant to the content!

By Yasir K

Sep 5, 2020

Outstanding course with competitive assignments. Learned a lot from Sir Charlie Nuttelman. At first, I was zero in Excel before starting this course, but now I feel like I am an Excel expert. All credit goes to Sir Charlie for bringing up such a great course. If someone wants to learn Excel in real, then this course is for him/her. Thanks

By JOSHUA D S

Jul 31, 2020

really very challenging.....but i enjoyed it.....the whole course though....thank you Charlie Sir for providing such an interesting course.....learnt a lot....every screen cast and specially the assignments thrilling because its application oriented....no guess work......makes you learn and yearn for it......hope to learn more from you..

By Jacob P

Oct 4, 2020

This was a good course even though it was a beginner course and I am not a newbie or a beginner. However, with that being said there there are as number of things that I did learn and get out of this course that I was either partially familiar with or not familiar with that the time of learning the information in this course.

By Becky E

Oct 28, 2020

This was AMAZING. I can't believe all the things you can do in Excel - before this course I thought I was pretty good, but this course showed me I was barely scratching the surface. Thank you for a great course - videos were good, quizzes and assignments meaningful - just the right amount of work for a continuing ed class.

By GARY B

Sep 10, 2020

An excellent introductory course to Excel. if you are wanting to learn Excel, I would start with this course. I would follow up with the courses offered by McQuarie University. A point made by one of the instructors was the Practice makes Permanent, so doing both courses is one way to embed the principles and techniques.

By Mr. M M H

Jun 13, 2020

The course structure is very well organized. I have learned a lot of basics which I think will be very helpful for me. The instructions was very easily explained by Mr. Charlie Nuttelman. Yet the assignments was not too easy. I had to think a lot to solve those problems. However, I enjoyed this course very much. Thank you.