Back to Feminism and Social Justice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Feminism and Social Justice by University of California, Santa Cruz

"Feminism and Social Justice" is an adaptation of Distinguished Professor Bettina Aptheker's long-running course at UC Santa Cruz. In the course, Professor Aptheker presents a broad definition of feminism that serves to frame three significant events in the history of feminism and social justice: the Empire Zinc strike of 1951, the 1971-1972 trial of Angela Davis, and the #metoo Movement....

IS

Feb 12, 2020

This course was very impactful, I now understand the history of rape as a crime, the attitudes that have diminished and undermine women's rights. I am hoping that we will get things right as a people

Jun 23, 2020

Everyone should take up this course because this course has a structured curriculum for feminism. The idea of feminism is something we have learnt from media, one will come to know about the meaning.

751 - 775 of 854 Reviews for Feminism and Social Justice

By Younes O

Nov 24, 2019

first of all, thank you for the effort you have put into this course to make it accessible to us. It was an insightful learning experience; I managed to see how feminism started as a local fight for the basics of living and has grown into an international battle for women's rights regardless of their class, race and religion.

I am looking forward to the next learning experience

By Gustavo S d S

Jul 20, 2020

The course brings us clear aspects about Feminism and Social Justice, with historical context and practical examples of cases, judgements and movements that happened in the last and current centuries. It is well-detailed, but the pace can be a little bit slow sometimes. The quizz assignments could be more elaborated and test different knowledges. But a great course overall.

By Judith K

Sep 03, 2020

Definitely an important topic and intresting lecture. The only thing I missed was more background information, especially internet links or essays to read. Really focused on the US History and culture. What I would have like to see is a more connection from the first week (theoretical feminism) to the really practical lectures in the following week.

By faryal k

Sep 09, 2020

In this course I learned that in justice anywhere is threat to be justice anywhere. We should continue our struggle till the goal have been achieve.

Second I learn that women are not weak they can do everything in their live. Because Evey person have there own life own desires .so we should support them to achieve their goals of life.

By Sehrish

I found the course contents interesting and informative. It is delivered in a prominent way. Not only it includes the cases from the past but it also highlights the movements happening in the current decade. I will recommend this course to everyone who is interested to learn the true meaning of feminism and its history.

By Samantha J

Apr 27, 2020

Very good course! Learned a lot about American history and the Feminist Movement as well as the importance of Social Justice. Apthekar is a great lecturer and story teller it was a treat to learn from her. Very much worth the time invested. I wish there was more reading material in the assignments/ suggested books.

By Alisson B

Sep 04, 2020

The course content is really amazing and eye opening. You will take these facts and look at the world with a socially sensitive eye thanks to Bettina. She brought triumph to the cause. I only took one star off because the long lectures were sometimes hard to follow in one seating due to busy days.

By Remington C

Nov 27, 2019

Fascinating ideas and very strong lectures by a knowledgeable teacher. That being said, I would have liked to see more interactivity and/or organization within the weeks. Possible ideas would be divided videos instead of a single lecture style, and more quizzes/essays. Overall quite worthwhile

By Chelsea

Jul 05, 2019

Professor Aptheker is a really good professor! This course was actually only the few times I encountered intersectional feminism, and I'm glad that I did. After this course, I'll research more about how I can make my knowledge in feminism more intersectional, more nuanced, and more inclusive.

By Andrea d l C C

El curso me gustó mucho, sin embargo hubiera sido interesante poder acceder a un par de lecturas adicionales sobre los temas. La conferencista está muy bien preparada. Recomiendo este curso 100% para aprender más sobre que es el feminismo y como se relaciona con otros movimientos sociales.

By Michelle B M C

Very good lectures - it was very easy and ejoyable (if we may say that to sure pressuring and important subject) to follow the course. I've only missed a little more exchange of ideas with some curation from the university, so we could have more debate over the topics discussed in classes.

By Blerta L

Jun 30, 2019

Ein sehr kompakter, übersichtlicher und gut organisierter Kurs.

Man konnte sich sowohl auf der theoretischen, als auch auf der praktischen Ebene informieren.

Ich hätte mir gewünscht, der Kurs hätte ein bißchen länger gedauert.

Vielen Dank für diese tolle Möglichkeit!!!

By Sandra V S

May 03, 2019

Was very nice to listen differents histories about the sexual harrasment on the womens and the striagh relation condition with the race or the class. The movie was very intereting for me, because show the struggle to women inter and externaly. The teacher was clear.

By Yumi R S

Sep 01, 2020

Amazing teacher with an incredible capacity of bringing both personal and historical appointments which made the course extremely rich. Nevertheless some questions were so specific about the U.S. that compromised my study, despite that really great course!

By Grace S

Jul 05, 2020

I think this course was very good and provided me with a lot of new background and history on the subject. I do think, though, that with everything that has happened in the past 2 years, the course could have been more recent/updated (was filmed in 2018).

By Ayushi M

It taught me soo soo much as what it means to be women in 2020 and how difficult the journey has been so far to live the kind of life that women live now which makes me respect it more and more and also encourages to spread awareness about the same.

By Andrea Y H

Jun 08, 2020

It really tries to takes as much history as possible in order to gain a broader understanding of the topic. The lectures in which Bettina's opinion was included in the sense that she personally lived through those times are really interesting.

By Asad N

Jul 08, 2020

This course has enabled me to understand the historical background for the emergence of feminism. The greatest part was understanding different historical events from Ms. Aptheker who herself has remained part of those events. It was amazing.

By Itziar P G

Apr 26, 2020

I would have liked to find out more about feminism history, the waves of feminism and such, but I found this course very interesting. I learned about many things I did not know and I found the professor Aptheker a very formidable woman.

By Annika D

I especially enjoyed the lectures as well as the combination fo film material and lecture. However I wish it would have been a little more extensive. But I did learn a lot and I can highly recommend the course.

By Hena Y

May 07, 2020

It was great! It touched upon many specific issues in the history of feminism and I feel that I've learned a lot. I think it could be a longer and more inclusive course, but other than that, it was very nice!

By Naveen

Jun 21, 2020

It is very useful. I learnt about the females who struggled for their rights. And because of them now women are enjoying certain privileges. Without them every country will be still a developing country.

By Iksha L

The course was presented in an enthusiastic way. The content can be related not only to speech therapy but also to events and situations in daily life. It leaves you with a real feel-good factor. Thankyou

By Eva J P

Apr 14, 2020

I would have liked more resources outside of the lecture - readings and videos - to reinforce the topics being discussed. That being said, I loved the topics discussed and wished there were more of them!

By Clara T A

Sep 08, 2020

This course is a great introduction to the former and actual feminist context in the United States. I would recommend this course to those who want to start this magnificent journey towards Feminism.