Back to Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals by Rice University

This short course surveys all the major topics covered in a full semester MBA level finance course, but with a more intuitive approach on a very high conceptual level. The goal here is give you a roadmap and framework for how financial professional make decisions. We will cover the basics of financial valuation, the time value of money, compounding returns, and discounting the future. You will understand discounted cash flow (DCF) valuation and how it compares to other methods. We also step inside the mind of a corporate financial manager and develop the basic tools of capital budgeting. We will survey the how, when, and where to spend money, make tradeoffs about investment, growth, dividends, and how to ensure sound fiscal discipline. Our journey then turns to a Wall Street or capital markets perspective of investments as we discuss the fundamental tradeoff between risk and return. We then synthesize our discussion of risk with our valuation framework and incorporate it into series of direct applications to practice. This course requires no prior familiarity with finance. Rather, it is intended to be a first step for anyone who is curious about understanding stock markets, valuation, or corporate finance. We will walk through all of the tools and quantitative analysis together and develop a guide for understanding the seemingly complex decisions that finance professionals make. By the end of the course, you will develop an understanding of the major conceptual levers that push and pull on financial decision making and how they relate to other areas of business. The course should also serve as a roadmap for where to further your finance education and it would be an excellent introduction of any students contemplating an MBA or Finance concentration, but who has little background in the area....

RM
Aug 16, 2020

This is a very well designed course. Taking you through basics and in the end puts you in a real business scenario where you are expected to take a decision based on the tools and concepts you learnt.

KH
Mar 27, 2020

Great Course, Very solid start for those who are trying to enter Finance world.\n\nIt makes you love this field if you are not familiar with it and have no previous experience.\n\nGreat Job Professor.

376 - 400 of 400 Reviews for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

By BHATE C P

Jul 21, 2020

A really helpful course for beginners in Finance field.

By Tariq A H

Nov 22, 2020

Was very challenging going through the final week 5 HW

By Ayleen M A H

Aug 22, 2019

Very helpful but would like to see more practice

By EKJOT S

Aug 1, 2020

question 7 in capstone quiz is wrong

By Akkas A

Jun 4, 2020

capstone project is to taught

By Jessica F

Aug 24, 2019

THANKS

By khethan r

Sep 23, 2020

good

By HASAN B Y

Aug 31, 2019

Good

By DEMIRHAN A

Sep 5, 2019

Nov 20, 2018

v

By Mohamed B B

Oct 4, 2020

the course is fruitful because it presents basic concepts and simple variables that are crucial to know.

HOWEVER, the capestone case is very very hard to finish, it requires collaboration through the discussion plateform or else, you will not be able to do it by yourself

Nov 2, 2020

I liked the teacher's enthusiasm, however, I did not feel prepared for the Capstone project and struggled with week 4. I was enjoying building spreadsheets and learning excel functions, but the information given in the weekly questions doesn't match up with the information provided for the Capstone project, and it left me feeling overwhelmed. It would take me a lot longer than an hour to figure it out, so I decided it would be a waste of time to complete this course. I'm a college student and my classes in school take precedence over this. Now I just feel I have wasted precious time I could have been putting toward other classes. If this is the only course you are taking and you aren't a full-time student, maybe you will have better luck than I have had.

By Daniel P

Sep 30, 2020

Course content was very good but the certificate was a joke - not worth the money. The certificate is signed "Signature" and lists the professor as John Doe, and there appears to be no way to contact anyone at Coursera with complaints.

By sanghamitra d

Aug 21, 2019

concept never cleared. most of the difficult sums which are given in exam are not properly taught.