Back to Financial Planning for Young Adults

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Planning for Young Adults by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Financial Planning for Young Adults (FPYA), developed in partnership with the CFP Board, is designed to provide an introduction to basic financial planning concepts for young adults. The FPYA course is organized across eight separate modules within a 4-week window. Topics covered include financial goal setting, saving and investing, budgeting, financial risk, borrowing and credit. Because financial planning is such a personal topic, you will be encouraged to define your own financial goals and objectives while we discuss concepts and provide tools which can be applied in helping you reach those goals. Within each module, you will view a combination of traditional lecture style videos along with video vignettes that introduce financial topics for discussion among participants. The video vignettes provide a unique and exciting component to this course. Each vignette introduces a real-world scenario where financial decisions must be made and financial planning concepts can be applied. You will be challenged to think critically about each scenario and decide how you might come to a resolution if ever faced with a similar situation. Finally, the course also includes material throughout which is focused on career opportunities in financial planning, including video interviews with actual CFP® professionals and other professionals working in this exciting and growing career area. The final module in the class is devoted to the topic of financial planning as a career....

DH
Dec 20, 2020

What a wonderful introduction to financial concepts and the world of personal finance. If you take this course, you will learn something new every week and will not be disappointed!

Jun 21, 2020

I really enjoyed the course throughout its duration, the teachers are easy to understand even for a non-english (I'm Italian). I look forward to put the skills I've acquired to use!

26 - 50 of 147 Reviews for Financial Planning for Young Adults

By Sam H

Feb 27, 2018

I was surprised those auditing the course can't even take the quizes (that are graded by the computer). I've never seen that in a MOOC before. Made the course seem of lower quality.

By Narahari p

Oct 10, 2019

The peer review process was troublesome. Even though i submitted my assignments, i had to wait for almost 3 weeks for the certificate as my work was not reviewed.

By David R

Jul 1, 2020

Financial Planning for Young Adults is a great course for anyone who wants to feel in control of their financial life and plan for the future but may not know where to even begin to achieve those goals. It was a very informative course and covers a lot of the basics and most important aspects of financial planning. It's fun to learn about it and it inspires me to take action in ways that will benefit me in the future and to be a more disciplined planner. I also think it will be a great course for someone who may be thinking about being a financial planner. I might have gave this course 4 1/2 stars if I could because I wanted to complete the course but I wasn't able to unlock all the assignments without paying $50. Other than that, I'm very glad I took this course.

By Adnan S

Jul 19, 2020

I am a person who loves spending all I earn. I believed I just started my career and am young so I don't need to save money. But this course changed my perspective. No matter what background you are from, I would suggest you to take this course. Especially if you are from Engineering Background like me :P . I must agree we Engineers are very bad at financial management.

By Adzra A P

Feb 9, 2021

Having this course was a very fun and insightful journey. I never had an interest in learning Finance related topics, but this course made finance easier than I thought it would be. I know some other topics of finance might be harder, but this course has given me a good first impression of finance.

By Valeria A

Feb 17, 2021

I am thankful and pleased after completing this course: Thankful, for the chance of taking this course AND being able to obtain the certificate for free, and pleased -100%- with both Kathy Sweedler and Nick Paulson, for their straightforward, exhaustive and practical approach to the subject(s) :)

By Animesh K

Aug 2, 2020

I really love this course and I recomend to all the student to take this course because in this time we all need to have some financial goal.

we are all working for money but money management is a great skill so, that is also the reason to take this course.

thank you!

By Erika L

Jul 14, 2020

I learned so much about how to finance money for when I get into the "real world". I highly recommend anyone to take this course no matter how old or young they are. I'm only 17 and the things I learned in this course will help me for the future.

By Jesus R

Jan 18, 2021

Great course! The information provided in this course can be financially life changing for anyone, regardless of age, but the sooner you start, the better off you’ll be. Make your money work smarter for you.

By Sachith M

Apr 22, 2021

Excellent course, I had learned a lots of new things specially how to manage expenses, saving strategies, risk management , importance of a good credit history etc. Thanks for Creating such valuable course.

By Daniela M

Jan 3, 2021

I learned a lot, things are very well explained and slow so that you don't miss anything and so that you understand everything perfectly. Its perfect for beginners and for young adults.

By David H

Dec 21, 2020

By Simone S

By Hanifah

Feb 27, 2021

Amazing! This course makes me understanding the financial planning stuff more than what my 2nd year of accounting major did. Thanks, coursera and CITL of University of Illinois.

By Mriana N A

Feb 25, 2021

This course is very important and useful, especially for young people, in order to take into account the investment early in order to accumulate more money in the future

By KAREEM G I H

Feb 19, 2021

The course is very good & helpful. just MS Kathyrn materials (PDF) not clear and questions tricky and no hints about under which condition, Thanks for the course.

By chatchamon p

Apr 17, 2021

fundamental knowledge for young adult in financial planing, encourage students to start speculate their finance, and start saving. Very useful and easy to follow

By MOUSAM B

Aug 8, 2020

This course is a must needed one for the youth who is or about to get financial independency. The course structure, mentors, assessments are all of top quality.

By Lisa B

Goes more in depth with financial planning than I thought. Very detailed and very good at explaining what I previously perceived as difficult topics to discuss.

By Jon F

Jul 14, 2020

This course was so practical and useful. It covered the basics and some more complex financial topics that are essential for everyone to understand.

By Regie N

Jan 16, 2021

I love this course so much. It has an interactive way of teaching and also a very short but detailed way of delivering the necessary information.

By Keane C

Aug 8, 2020

Comprehensive guide for undergraduate students to know things needed to know on planning ahead for the future personal well-being.

By Marco A C S

Apr 13, 2020

It is a very comprehensive course! The information provided is precious for everyone having a hard time in financial planning!

By ELISAVET M

Apr 22, 2021

I really enjoyed not only the content of the course but also the professors. Found it extremely useful and helrful as well

By devendra s

Feb 6, 2021

The course is really useful for young generation. Some practical methods will help youngsters to do Financial Management