Back to Finding Purpose and Meaning In Life: Living for What Matters Most

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finding Purpose and Meaning In Life: Living for What Matters Most by University of Michigan

Welcome to Finding Purpose and Meaning in Life: Living for What Matters Most! In this course, you’ll learn how science, philosophy and practice all play a role in both finding your purpose and living a purposeful life. You will hear from historical figures and individuals about their journeys to finding and living a purposeful life, and will walk through different exercises to help you find out what matters most to you so you can live a purposeful life. As an added benefit, you will also have complimentary access, for a period of time, to the Purposeful App. This groundbreaking mobile and desktop app is designed to help you build a purposeful rhythm into each day, so you can bring your best self to what matters most. Look for more information in Week 1 of the course! By the end of this course, you will: 1. Understand that having a strong purpose in life is an essential element of human well-being. 2. Know how self-transcending purpose positively affects well-being. 3. Be able to create a purpose for your life (don't be intimidated, this is different from creating "the purpose" for your life). 4. Apply personal approaches and skills to self-change and become and stay connected to your purpose every day. We are thrilled that you are here! We look forward to hearing and learning from you throughout this course!...

Jun 07, 2020

Short and precise course to get some perspective on finding focus on things that really matter. Vic is an excellent professor who just connects so well with the students even from the computer screen.

D

I found this course beneficial in focusing my thinking about what is and should be important to me in life. Taking a self-critical approach to this issue has been difficult but revealing and freeing

1 - 25 of 197 Reviews for Finding Purpose and Meaning In Life: Living for What Matters Most

By Suyam S C

Apr 25, 2020

This was a great course and I recommend that everyone on Coursera take this course ! This is a lively course with great content that helps you connect with your inner You , the true You . Come , discover purpose because purpose is the vista to discovering your life .

By Ben L

Apr 28, 2020

A good course if you know nothing about the topic. Almost a complete waste if you've read any serious book about it.

By Loreto R

Apr 24, 2020

I have love this course. It's been a life-changing experience. Science-based, well explained, it has been a wonderful experience.

By Oluwabukunmi A B

May 02, 2020

Please I need financial aid to get my certificate. I can’t submit my assignment without payment, and I can’t afford the money

By Sheryl A

I didn't feel the content was very relevant or helpful in finding one's own purpose or meaning. The course focused mainly on history, data/statistics, and the "what" and "why." It explained why it's important and how having purpose affects people, but it didn't really go into how to actually find your purpose. Perhaps my expectations were different from what the course is offering.

By Sabrina I

May 09, 2020

The best course I've enrolled in on Coursera! I recommend to anyone who wants to know how to live a full, meaningful life and help their loved ones do the same.

By Rajesh N

May 03, 2020

This is a deep spiritual topic but its addressed in a cavalier fashion. There is just no depth. For eg, to find out what you value most, the Prof / instructor asks one to look at what one has on his / her smartphone ! Really ?! I discontinued very early into Week 1...Disappointing.

By Dan P

By Aashiqe R

May 02, 2020

Beautiful, you learn why it's essential to take a moment for yourself, step back, and see the bigger picture! and that's precisely what this course helps you to do!

By Scott M

Jun 07, 2020

The instructor spends too much time promoting his own app, which is apparently not free after a 30-day trial. I don't this is appropriate for Coursera.

By Carolyn M

Great course! Time commitment worked out very well while working at home during COVID-19 restrictions. This course gave me a starting point and a structured plan in creating a purpose and actually living a life that engages actions needed to fulfill that purpose(s).

By Teresa c

May 12, 2020

I very highly suggest this course if you seem lost or absent minded in what you really want o see in life. Why? Because it explains a lot of why we can choose our own direction and how to achieve our actual purpose!

By Samit

By Patricia E

Jun 06, 2020

High quality course, good mix of research evidence and cultural references. But overall it didn't help me to articulate or FIND purpose, it just described why it's a good idea to have one. So to the extent that it assumed one already knows what matters most, it failed to live up to the title.

By Paul K

May 01, 2020

This is, already, really prozaic. Really not what I had hoped for!!!

By Catherine M

Good day,

I signed up for this course but I don't find it academic enough and the lectures are superficial - in my view - brushing over Nietzsche, Camus and some other great philosophers, authors and thinkers.

I am not going to carry on with this course.

By Ajaya G

I learned a lot from the course. I was not allowed to submit the assignments because I was just auditing. The videos were excellent and Prof. Strecher explained the ideas and concepts very well. I hope I can embody the ideas from this course in my thoughts and actions and start living a purposeful life.

Two suggestions: 1) Assignments may have to be made a little more challenging, and 2) You may want to explore the possibility of supplementing online course completion with the opportunity to the participants to attend a short residential in-person session led by Prof. Strecher.

By Jiapeng W

May 03, 2020

This course is great. In the first two weeks I was forced to think deeply about my own value and purpose. Then I realized the importance of purpose and how having these purpose can change one's life through scientific research. He also taught some practical methods for specifying "be" goals, "do" goals and "action goals", and how they work together. It brought me deep confusion about myself at first but made a wiser person.

By Olena D

Thank you so much for the opportunity to take this course! This is a core knowledge that needs to be thought in high school! I really appreciate the dedication of the professor! Great Job and Great Purpose!

By Barbara G

May 22, 2020

This is one of the best courses I have taken. It makes finding 'purpose' accessible in the things one does everyday and not only in the big achievements which may not be in the reach of everyone.

By Deon N

May 02, 2020

Well presented and thought provoking. Good examples to illustrate the various concepts. Research findings were also helpful to solidify the concepts. Well done.

By Kim S J

Apr 25, 2020

Excellent course. It certainly have guided me to find my own purpose and meaning in life. Dr Strecher is a great teacher.

By Belakhdar A

a very emotional cours

i like it so mush .thank you docteur

By Diana S

Excellent course!

By Luisa B

This course can give you interesting anecdotes and research about the importance of having a purpose in life, but I think it doesn't actually help much towards creating or finding your own purpose.