Back to Fundamentals of Fluid-Solid Interactions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Fluid-Solid Interactions by École Polytechnique

What is fluid-solid interactions ? It is what happens when the motions of a fluid and of a solid are somehow coupled. This happens all the time, around you when leaves flutter in the wind, inside you when your heart beats, above you when wings of a plane vibrate, under the sea... The idea behind this MOOC is to give you the basic tools to be able to predict and eventually mitigate things called flutter, galloping, sloshing, vortex-induced vibrations, added mass, to cite a few. We are going to consider any possible domains of applications such as civil engineering, aerospace engineering, nuclear engineering , ocean engineering, biomechanics and even food processing ! This is why we called the course “Fundamentals of Fluid Solid Interactions ”. There are so many phenomena and so many models that we need to work together on the basic mechanisms . If you want to see how fluid-solid interactions work, and be able to use that knowledge, join us ! A first session of the course was run in early 2016, with learners from over 100 countries. It is now available with subtitles, in English and now in Chinese. See the video at http://goo.gl/YKSMnD...

MM

Got some knowledge about FSI . It is very much interesting with lots of experimental demonstration and the reason on its effect. Thank you Very much for such a wonderful course

KS
Mar 24, 2019

A fantastic course with great instructors and great examples. I like the comparisons between theory and practical. One of the best courses I've ever taken. Awesome work

1 - 25 of 154 Reviews for Fundamentals of Fluid-Solid Interactions

By Eric P N

Mar 28, 2020

This course deserves high praise for a number of reasons. In a world where undergraduate classes on aerodynamics often make big assumptions, such as perfectly rigid bodies, this class offers a view of instead modelling your solid as something that can bend and oscillate, and uses this to explain commonly seen behaviors of fluid-solid systems. It was refreshing to see a course like this on Coursera. In fact, I believe it is the only course remotely related to fluid mechanics, and taught by a University known for their fluids research. So thank you to those who put it on. Another praise is that the professor never loses sight of the practical applications. Everything is explained (and explained very well) and always brought back to a practical application that the learner might be interested in.

Compared to other courses I've taken on Coursera, the graded sections (i.e. quizzes) were relatively easy. More challenging quiz problems that require me to set up and solve differential equations would have helped me put the concepts into better practice.

The lectures were very well done. Everything was presented very clearly. However, if you really want to take very detailed notes in your own notebook or computer, as you would in a graduate-level engineering class where the professor is writing on a chalkboard, you'll need to pause the videos quite a bit.

By Raghuvir r J

Sep 22, 2016

Lessons were pretty concise, engaging and well arranged. Quizzes were relevant and stimulating. Would love to take an advanced version.

Thanks to the team.

By Luis F R C

Apr 4, 2019

They do not explain the origin of the equations, they just show to you final results, I think is helpful if you just want to know some models in a faster way, but if you want to learn more deeply it is not the best course.

I suggest to you to develope the equations to make the students fully understand what is going on.

By Kevin S

Mar 25, 2019

By Prasanta S

Jan 11, 2017

It is definitely one of the most interesting MOOC I did and would congratulate you for the simplicity (and fun) with which you explain the complex coupling models and approximations.

I am currently working on FSI for bubble collapse close to solid walls in cavitation, and your MOOC has helped me gain perspective and understanding to solve many practical problems.

By Florian L B

Apr 25, 2019

Very interesting, but tough to follow since it features a lot of advanced physics and mathematics. Eye opening moments regarding dimensionless numbers, lift, instabilities. And fantastic lab sessions. A big thank you to the team around Emmanuel de Langre!

By Victor V

Nov 28, 2016

The fundamentals of fluid-structure interaction was well explained through examples and laboratory tests. However, small applications should be explained and done by the students in order to have a better representation of physical phenomenon.

By Ivan L

Jul 19, 2017

Many thanks for this course! The course has stunning structure. I especially like how the experiments were connected with the theoretical models. The LadHyX team performed excellent course. I certainly recommend it to all inquisitive people.

By Naveen G

Apr 2, 2018

One of best and the hardest courses I've ever taken!

This course is not just about engineering, it is about life. The course has a very powerful takeaway; "Life is beautiful and simple if you look closer!"

By Sabrina R

Jun 19, 2020

This course was so helpful for my thesis on blood flow through artery system. The research videos were great too! Thanks to all the professors and researchers!

By Dr. S S

Jul 24, 2020

This course was very much useful to understand the basics of fluid-solid interactions and how simplified mathematical models can be development with appropriate assumptions along with time scaling of fluid and solid motion. The explanation for each concept by the course faculty with so many practical simple experiments was exceptional. Demonstrations of experiments by his colleagues were so informative and easy to understand the concepts for me as a non-structural background person.

By Ossama H

Jan 20, 2021

This course is fabulous and a wonderful opportunity to learn basic's related to Fluid-Solid Interactions, course content is good, addictive and encourages you to learn more and more. At last excellent teaching done by all respected teachers in term of both theoretical and practical aspect of this course. I would especially recommend Mechanical Engineers with CFD, Fluid Mechanics and Dynamics interest, to take this course and enjoy it!

By Antonio E B

Oct 8, 2016

It is an excellent course. Professor LaGrange has an extraordinary skill to facilitate the understanding of the fundamentals of fluid-solid interactions. Every week of the course combines theory and experimental demostrations in a very balanced way. The visual images accompanying the equations and the summaries at the end of the sessions are great course assets. Without any doubt I will enroll in a future sequel of this course.

By Ning L

Oct 28, 2016

absolutely brilliant! This course is very well structured and very well presented. It touches upon a rather complex area of research but has masterly conveyed the essential skills and methods in a pace that is a bit challenging but not to a point of intimidating. I have watched each and every lecture video for at least 4 times. It is a very good starting point for anyone interested in FSI.

By ANSHUL S

Nov 6, 2020

The course is highly enlightening about the basics. I really feel if some assignment or maybe an extra course on computational FSI is introduced, as, without computational application, the theoretical knowledge can be difficult to apply. Overall it was a great course. I wish u provided some extra reading material to get further insight and share your slides. THank You.

By Dwayne P C C

Nov 17, 2020

The concepts were really difficult to learn, but Prof. Emmanuel was able to make them more concrete and intuitive. The experiments done by the lecturers, along with the featured researches shown were great additions to the course. As for the quizzes, I just hope that better feedback on the incorrect answers be given to guide the student along. Overall, a great course!

By Benjamin G

Jun 15, 2017

I did this course in order to complete the requirements for my PhD. Eventhough I knew most of the topics, I really enjoyed this course that reminded me all the basics and it gives a really comprehensive and clear approach as to how to choose an appropriate model. I would definitly recommanded it and I think it is appropriate for any level!

By Shubham

Sep 28, 2016

This course is very informative and gives starting platform to pursue this field. I really like this course. There is one thing that I felt missing. I could use some coding assignment to better grasp the course contents. it can be made optional. This could provide more help to people who wants to have a deeper understanding.

By Yuan T

Jan 21, 2019

This course is very helpful for me, it let me know the mechanism of some basic phenomena in our nature. I know know that these phenomena is not only very interesting, but also follow scientific criteria. After understanding these basis theories, I fall in love with FSI and would like take further courses about FSI.

By Hemanth K

Nov 7, 2020

This course literally unlocked the understanding of dynamics of motion around us. It certainly helped me in understanding the basics of FSI with courtesy of all team members and the experiments provided in this course. Thanks to all course team members for making such a great course.

By Siddaraja D

Jun 13, 2020

Its Superb course. It gives the complete overview of the field. the nice part is using dimensional analysis approach to the problem and summarizing all models across reduced velocities. Nicely summarized and conveyed. Looking for next courses from this fluid solid interaction domain

By Farooq R

Nov 2, 2016

I am delighted to subscribe this course. Thank you Course team to introduce us the wonders of FSI, the way this course was designed and the contents explained are all excellent. Thank you Coursera for giving us this opportunity. Hope more courses by the instructors are coming soon.

By Kumar S

Aug 27, 2018

It was an awesome experience completing this course. In such a short duration, many things were discussed. But, still much much more to be learnt. I shall be highly interested in all other courses too regarding FSI and especially VIV.

Thank you Coursera, Thank you all instructors.

By Arsalan Y

Jan 29, 2021

The course is suited for beginners such as me, to get a grasp of Fluid Solid Interactions course. With this fundamental knowledge, one can start exploring this subject in depth. I cannot wait to sign up for the full and extended course on Fluid Solid Interactions.

By Krishna C A G R

Mar 23, 2020

The course was superb. The instructor explained every intricate concept of FSI lucidly. The extra videos on various research topics enlightened us as to how different concepts in FSI are put into practice. Overall, the course was worth every bit of it.