Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

JJ

Jan 22, 2021

Love how Maya presented the course and I especially love the cooking sessions featuring her cute kids. I am looking forward to reading her book or if she has any YT account featuring more home cooking

SR

Jul 12, 2022

learned alot on this course. Very knowledgeable and full of healthy recipes. Great way to start your goal. Along with excersice and healthy eating you are on your way to a great healthy mind and body.

6151 - 6175 of 7,532 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

By Yulia K

Apr 26, 2017

The course is easy to listen and comprehend, and all material is pretty practical. However, it is rather superficial. I myself maintain a healthy lifestyle, and I didn't learn almost anything new from it (i'd say, around 5% of the information was new to me). I expected more. On the other hand, it's a good course for people with weight&lifestyle problems to figure out first steps towards a healthier lifestyle.

By Giselle M

Mar 15, 2018

Very easy and nice way to present food and health, but I really believe it is also important to consume organic as much as possible and it should be incentivises , as we know pesticide in excess is also harmful in the long run for our health and planet, if we want to educate the population, let's educate and also taking our planet into consideration, as we have the 17 development goals to achieve by 2030.

By SARAH H A

Sep 6, 2016

Very informative course, which has encouraged me to research the topic further and to adopt a healthier lifestyle. Based on my research, however, I believe a mistake might have been made. According to the instructional material, the only group of essential fatty acids is omega-3. Based on my research, however, essential fatty acids include ALA, an omega-3 fatty acid, and LA, which is an omega-6 fatty acid.

By Mariam A

Jun 4, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I would have liked to learn more about the science behind these claims (the first week was excellent for that), and I was uncomfortable with choosing "going vegan is not sustainable" because much of the research shows that it certainly is. I did really enjoy learning about how good fruits and vegetables are for the human body! I was less interested in how to cook. Thank you!

By Mohit

Jan 19, 2016

I am currently pursuing this course and I find this course to be very simple for a rookie to understand and implement. It clears a large amount of myths that we have regarding different types of food. I understand that in order to gain full benefit of this course we need to implement the stuff presented in this course. So I will start the implementation and additional research required very soon.

By Maribel Z

Feb 3, 2016

Videos are very clear and very well explained... Nice animations, graphs, ... definitely a great piece of work.

However, I have to say that I expected more content/theory on food and health inside our body rather than general advises on how to cook at home. I am a person that cooks already at home and does not like to eat much processed food, so majority of videos I found too simple and basic...

By Bayu C

Feb 10, 2021

Great content and great quality of delivery of lectures.T hese courses are very helpful and it's such an inspiring guidelines for people to live a healthy diet.

I like the enthusiam of the instructor. The instructor put in a lot of effort to generate the interest.

The explanations and analogies related to the topic in discussion Everything was great about this course. Thanks i really appreciate

By Juan J B L

Apr 2, 2018

It is a good place to start thinking about how to change your eating habbits. I looked for a course like this on YT but no luck. I didn't want to research diets, I wanted a holistic understanding of nutrition itself so I can make personally informed decisions. I want to understand how and why things work and don't work, rather than just trusting diet; this course really helped kick that off.

By Lakshmi V

Oct 11, 2017

This course is presented in a neat and friendly manner. The simple language in explanation and illustration makes it enjoyable to delve into the course. I personally liked the way suggestions were presented in taking care of one's own and family health, rather than making it technical. I am glad I to have taken up and completed the course. Wishing many more delightful courses from Maya Adam.

By Hugo

Interesting course which remember me fundamentals of nutrition and best practices to cook healthy.

I regret that course dont go more far on nutrition skills or vegetarian recipes for example but it's a good course to introduce nutrition for a person who wants to change his bad consummation habits and increase his health and his nutrition skills.

Hugo (sorry for my bad english, i'm french)

By Deborah

Sep 6, 2016

This was an easy course and I found the information very helpful in making you aware of processed food. I think it could have been a bit richer by exploring some other areas of health and food. I felt like the main focus was on processed food. The good thing though I learnt so much about processed food and I'm making every effort to cut it and eventually eliminat it from my diet.

By Paul G

Jan 12, 2021

There are some good points, and some misinformation that was presented in the material. The point about getting the family involved in meal preparation, and relying less on processed foods is a great place to start.

The soundtrack that played during the course makes it next to impossible to concentrate on the subject matter. I was expecting more from a Stanford produced course.

By Yi X J

Jun 19, 2017

For an introduction course this is very clear and easy to understand. Some of the action plans, such as sensible substitution are very practical to adopt. I would wish this course to be more comprehensive, for example, not just focused on battling most common health issues in the US, but also health benefits of different vitamins or nutrition planning for different demographies.

By Yumiko Y

Feb 9, 2019

This course was easy to understand, gave me chance to recheck my eating habit. As a Japanese I thought I know a lot about nutrition, food and health issue, since my mother often taught me with these issues including how to cook. However to learn from a professional from the start made me more clear and gave me the confidence what I learn from my mother was overall correct.

By Kim L

Jun 12, 2020

A good basic overview of nutritional concepts and some of the science behind transfats and different dietary conditions. Quite basic at times so can be completed fairly quickly and easily but it's short so nevertheless it's a great way to reaffirm existing knowledge, gain perspective on the food industry in modern society and fill in the gaps of your nutritional knowledge.

By Valentina Q

Mar 20, 2021

A good introduction to Nutrition if you're new to this field and you're not familiar with basic stuff like the difference between carbohydrates, protein, and fats. Some of the topics were briefly explained, but I understand it's an introduction so it's okay. I think it gives the necessary information to get you interested in taking charge of your eating habits and health.

By Jessica J

Nov 15, 2017

Very interesting introduction to health, understanding food labels, and how to make better choices. Everything was explained clearly and the structure was well prepared. I would have loved for it to further in depth into how the body is affected by different foods. I was also surprised and disappointed to see white sugar being suggested to use, especially in the recipes.

By Jamie V

Apr 7, 2020

This is a great course! Although it was mostly a review of things that I already knew, I highly enjoyed learning about the properties of macronutrients and how they are digested in the body. I also appreciated learning about processed food versus real food and the recipe videos. I would love to see more content about other nutrients and specific foods in the future!

By Nick I

Apr 18, 2020

This course felt very basic, which I liked. I didn't really have any knowledge as far as nutrition goes so it was nice to have everything broken down to the most basic levels. I wish they would've jumped into a little bit more depth or maybe added 2 or 3 more modules. It's nice to know more, but it would've been better if I felt like I got even more out of it.

By Zainab K

Oct 23, 2016

It was a very helpful course, giving an insight about our routine when it comes to food and health. It gives an understanding of how to take care of ourselves in the best way possible, and how easily we are fooled by media and the society to ruin our health in the long run. It is more essential than we think, to maintain a proper diet, so thank you for this.

By Sonja Z

Jul 22, 2022

V​ery well put together presentation. Gives a really good simple explanation of why you should preferably stick to whole foods, mostly plant based, rather than fall into the trap of fad diets or highly processed 'easy' meals. It is rather basic though, so it really is for beginners. The recipes and videos at the end are highly appreciated and fun to watch:)

By Alice S M W

This is a very basic course but the ideas are put across very well and I feel I am able to explain my food decisions in clearer terms when talking to my husband. I even told my doctor recently that I prefer to eat in moderation than choosing low fat or low/sugar free products because they have replaced what they removed with even more unhealthy substitutes.

By Matteo R

Mar 20, 2021

Excellent course for beginners, especially the part on moderation.

Only sore point, it lacks a part dedicated to dairy products and their use in the diet.

Also talk a little more about how to manage portions by differentiating breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Maybe talk a little bit about allergies and intolerances would be nice too.

Nice part about the recipes.

By Mónica L A R

Oct 22, 2021

The course indeed is very good as an introduction to Food and Health. Very friendly. Learned new things. I wish there were PDFS to complement knowledge. Even though the videos are very explicative and that is good. Recipes are great. Thanks for this opportunity. Maya´s recipes are very good and I hope to prepare them some day. Videos are very well made.

By Lucia S

May 30, 2022

As the course name says it's an "Introduction" - if you already have some knowledge in the field, you won't find much new information you've haven't heard before. Still it helped me organize my knowledge in a coherent and complete way. It definitely gives you motivation to change your eating habits and becoming a reliable advisor for those around you!