Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

VI

It was an interesting and informative, at a basis level, course. The information is easy to understand and the new gained knowledges tend to remain in your memory, due to short and interactive videos.

TL

Oct 01, 2016

Extremely interesting course. I feel the material and videos were very easy to absorb and understand. I certainly would recommend this to anyone with an interest in food and how it affects our health.

76 - 100 of 4,056 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

By Marco

Jan 08, 2019

Very well done beginner course on food and nutrition. It has four main parts. The first part does high level introduction of key scientific concepts. It is however just to give a better understanding of the topic. The other 3 parts talk a lot about practical aspects of food and nutrition including what to eat.

I definitely recommend this course as a primer for whoever is interested in the topic. As recommended in the course as follow up i also watched two moovies Fed Up and in defense of food.

To Course and instructors, thanks for letting me learn more about the topic

By Blanca I M R

Jun 30, 2017

I think this course is great. With simple videos and explanations we can learn about our metabolism and the right way to eat. I have just studied a course here in Mexico about Applied nutrition and this course was very helpful for explaining concepts in a simple and easy way. Is the third course I take with her and I really admire her manner, and the way she make us understand concepts. I just hope that you can offer the course with subtitles in Spanish because not everybody, specally many that could appreciate the content of the course can understand English.

By Ana S A M

Apr 28, 2020

I reeeally loved that, as you said, sometimes nutritionists go with super hard and big words about nutrition, and their patients or beginners like me end up like "what?", but you, mostly at the end, talk about how to shop wisely, how to read the labels, how to choose the right food and how to cook such simple and easy and totally delicious meals... you make it look even easier. and you talk about easy and simple but useful tips that I never saw coming haha. but for sure it was also really necessary the technical part as well. definitely an awesome course ;)

By David B

Aug 21, 2017

This is the second course I have taken on food and nutrition that was taught by Maya Adam MD. This course and the related videos are excellent just like the first course I took. Maya is a wonderful instructor. She presents the information about food and nutrition in an easy manner that anyone can learn from, understand and then utilize the information that she presents in order to make better healthy food selections while at home, on the go and while shopping in a grocery store. I highly recommend everyone take all of Dr Adam's food and nutrition courses.

By Andrew H

Jan 12, 2018

It has been almost a year since I have taken this class, and switched up my diet to be more aligned with what I learned. The results have been great. I feel healthier, more alert during the day and have more energy than ever before. I am making smarter food decisions, and have a better relationship with my food. I thought eating "healthy" was going to be more expensive, but instead I have actually saved money on grocery shopping by cutting out a lot of processed foods, meats, and snacks. This is a great class and I highly recommend it to everyone.

By Norma G

Jun 30, 2016

I really enjoyed this course.

The explanations were very clear, she caught up my attention and I also love the book: "Food, Love, family". I absolutely recommend everybody in this course to get it.

As a testimony, my life has totally changed, I started love cooking, I enjoyed trying new foods, and I want to make a better world by education in nutrition and the need for all parents in the planet to know more about how can they love their family better by eating healthy, fresh and homemade food together.

Thank you, Maya.

Cheers from Zacatecas, Mexico.

By Nicolas A

Jan 28, 2016

Great introduction! I will definitely recommend this course to many of my relatives to whom I struggle to explain what a healthy diet means! To me, two aspects could be emphasized a bit more as I can see many people trying to eat healthy making those mistakes: 1. eating natural non organic food is better than processed organic food, 2. marketed healthy food is usually not healthy (orange juices etc.) as natural healthy food does not have to be marketed. Raise awareness against marketing labels "organic" and "healthy"

Great job! Thanks a lot.

By Alisha P K

May 03, 2020

It is one of the best courses I have done. I believe, food is consumed by every human and it is high time that people should be aware of the food they intake everyday. The highlight of this study is it is simple to understand and can be easily remembered for any age group. I will recommend my friends and family to do it too just for knowledge purpose. I have already started making so many changes in my food intake, food items, food portion and my grocery lists. Thank you for providing us the course with amazing insights of food and health.

By Cynthia Y

Feb 12, 2020

This course truly helped me understand the importance of choosing the right foods to eat. It taught me about nutrition labels and how marketing can easily fool us into thinking something is healthy to eat when it really isn't. I loved the simple explanations which helped me really understand the information in a clear way. From now on I wıll base our meals around the vegetables I wıll cook for that day and I wıll be sure to remind myself and my loved ones to stop eating once we are no longer hungry. Thank you for the life changing tips!

By Ameya D

Feb 14, 2017

Excellent Course! Folks this is not just about type of nutrients and nutrition. All your questions regarding will be answered through this course. It does not only tell you what not to but also tell you what should you eat and what amount, I think that is the most important thing.

I highly recommend everyone (even if you think you are not fat, you are very healthy) to follow this course. You can see there are years and years of research and experiments are explained in very simple words and along with solutions to all problems we face.

By Prabhsimran S

Jan 21, 2016

Awesome course. I won't say that it was way too easy for me to solve the quizzes. I have been reading for a while before I took this MOOC. Loved everything about this course. Both the instructors were amazing, especially Dr. Maya Adam. Would love to take another course with her. Some really good additions to my knowledge database. Though it was good to learn how to access a proper food market to buy good food. Thank you guys for such an amazing learning experience. I will be waiting for another course from the same team. ADIOS!!!!

By Seulgi L

I got to be more excited in cooking. I learned what ingredients to begin in order to start cooking which were onions and olive oils. I have started to buy onions whenever I go grocery shopping and trying different dishes with them. I also learned trans-fat is worse for my health compared to meat which was a surprise. The ingredients used in the dishes introduced at the end seems not easy to get from where I live but I think I can modify them little bit and try some of them as well. Thank you so much for preparing this course!

By Ivana R

Mar 22, 2017

Great introduction for people who eat a lot of processed foods and would like to change it. I liked the simple language, rather than difficult breakdowns of chemical compounds and processes that I encountered in different course. I believe this will help many people understand the reason why they feel bad in a simple, understandable way. I cook at home every day. For me it's the best way how to stay healthy and know what's in my food. This course was right on track with my believes and I greatly enjoyed it! Thank you so much!

By Asfaari R

Jun 24, 2017

Previously, I just want to eat and cook more healthy food but did not know the details regarding it. I just googled what healthy breakfast that I should eat, what fruits that is best for breakfast, etc. Founding this excellent course, I get a detail knowledge about healthy food, processed food, glycemic index (and I love this phrase), how to read the nutrition labels, and many more new knowledge. Learning from this course make me want to change some bad dietary habit that I have right now. Thank you very much Miss. Maya :)

By Christopher A

Feb 25, 2016

It fit almost exactly what I was looking for in the course. Simple high level guidance about food, nutrition and communicating it in terms of the foods we would buy in a grocery and the portioning and composition of an ideal plate of food. Very digestable videos broken up to keep interest. One thing that might have been nice was delving deeper or providing references with more sources of each type of macronutrient so you could walk away from the course and just begin mix and matching. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

By Amanda A

Jun 07, 2017

Very useful! It's neat to see things like this on Coursera in addition to the more traditional subjects of study. I hope someday we will see thing like this in classrooms for young children, since eating properly is something so many people don't naturally learn from their families anymore. We may or may not ever use a given traditional academic subject after we graduate, but eating is something all of us do for the rest of our lives. This should be a core subject in all programs, alongside math/science/reading/writing.

By Valda W B

My experience has been very satisfying. Thank you Dr. Adams for your presentation and for the way you and your guest speaker, Michael Pollan have explained and tied these concepts to everyday life. As a certified Diabetes Prevention Program lifestyle coach, I want to apply what I have learned to supplement my presentations to people that are at risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity.

Self-Isolation due to the pandemic and time well spent. Thank you very much.

Valda L. Wisdom Brown, MSA

By MIRELLA L Q S

Jun 02, 2020

Es la primera vez que llevo un curso de nutrición , aunque en realidad la carrera que actualmente llevo en la universidad de mi país de de negocios internacionales. siempre me ha gustado mucho el mundo de la salud, al comienzo quise estudiar psicología o nutrición pero por motivos económicos no se puedo por ahora pero pienso lograd mi objetivo de aprender y estudiarlo ya que también estoy muy metida en el mundo de la comida saludable. Agradezco esta iniciativa de ayudar por medio de cursos libres. ¡Muchas gracias!

By Sayali T

Feb 12, 2017

I found this course amazingly helpful and informative about the various kinds of foods we eat. Different facts and tricks and checks are listed out here to make sure that you stay healthy and fit. This course makes me want to cook more and not regard cooking as a tedious activity anymore. It is effectively explained by professors Maya Adams and Micheal Pollen. They are passionate about food and the need for everyone to be healthy. This is an excellent course and I would recommend for everyone to take this course.

By Grace L L

Sep 22, 2019

I like the course overall arrangement (the contents, the lecturer, the vedio..) in view of reading time and the digestion of useful food information. Though the program itself may not be all new to me, definitely an excellent reminder, reinforcement to exceed my expectation to improve the family eating behaviours. I enjoy learning all the practical tips given in the courses, easy to apply to daily life and I already exercised the key eating principals since day-(1) I joined the course. Thank you very much.

By Cecilia C

Nov 01, 2019

I loved this course because the information given was of easy access and understanding. Everybody can feel related to a situation of not paying attention to our diet. I love the recipes also!

I want to share the videos with my friends and family who I know are struggling with their health because of poor food decisions. I wish that everybody could understand the imperative of having a healthy and delicious diet and also to have access to information and more and better food options. Thank you for this course!

By Ashley R

Jan 18, 2016

I love this so much, and I think everyone should watch these videos. This is a work of art really. There is so much useful, globally applicable information packed into a concise, interesting, and credible collection. I love that there are scientific explanations and that the chemistry is shown. I also love how understandable it is to the lay-person, and how there are so many sensible pieces of advice that I feel the need to take and run with. Thank you for this; I will be passing this along to everyone I know.

Jan 25, 2017

Should be required for everyone, even if you think you already eat healthily! Essential and up-to-date information about food and health is presented in an extremely clear and engaging manner. The quizzes are exceptional and you'll know you learned a lot when you are not only able to find the right answer, but correct the wrong answers in your head. Thank you so much for creating this course, I truly hope it helps change the world's eating behaviors and eliminates our population's chronic health crisis.

By Arianny R d C P

Jul 25, 2019

Sou muito grata por ter recebido a bolsa e ter conseguido concluir esse curso que já me engrandece e que certamente me ajudará em breve levar tal conhecimento para os meus pacientes e conhecidos. Obrigada equipe! Continuem proporcionando aprendizado e enriquecendo ainda mais essa plataforma. Gostaria de sugerir mais cursos de especialização na área da nutrição, acho que seria muito bom se tivesse pós graduação e mestrado com assuntos mais específicos para essa área. Obrigada mais uma vez, até breve.

By Desiree N B

May 14, 2020

Great class. Videos were great and I like that there is a visual (video) provided along side the notes.

I am a vegetarian and have learned a lot about nutrition and healthy eating in my personal quest to overcome some health conditions. In this course, I learned a little more about nutrition, macro nutrients, nutrient density, quality of foods, portion sizes and practical tips when food shopping, etc. "Eat food (real food). Not too much. Mostly Plants" is simple and sound guidance for anyone.