Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

Jun 22, 2018

51 - 75 of 4,679 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

By Kevin C

May 16, 2016

This course is extremely well made! I am enjoying it very much! I'm personally using it for a review of nutritional principles and basics and this course is FILLED with wonderfully clear and visually captivating video lectures cut into shorter 4-5 minute lectures! This course is probably meant to be taken over a months time, but It's SO Captivating that I can't get enough and be through it in a few days at most! Thank you for putting this course online for everyone to take, learn and enjoy! I'm going to recommend it to my whole online nutrition course at my university for an excellent review of basic and key nutritional concepts! It will certainly leave a lasting impression on my further nutritional studies.

By Carmen C

Jun 24, 2020

First and foremost, although it might seem simplistic, this course is so well taught and so informative that I have found again my love for real food. Since losing weight has been a primary goal for a few years now, I tried the “all or nothing” sort of diet. I had joined a gym where I was given a diet that was so strict where all I could eat were certain types of food, etc. I soon realized that I had no fun eating and I would dread the next bland meal. Having taken this course has taught me the value and importance of having a nutritious meal. I am so happy to have found Coursera. I cannot thank you enough for putting this information together. It is so worth every second of my time spent.

By Jo-Ann D

May 15, 2020

This course is very well organized and easy to understand. It includes the perfect balance between auditory and visual information. The information covered in this course is extremely important for everyone to know, and can easily be put into practice. Dr. Maya Adams & author Michael Pollan do an excellent job in explaining critical information regarding FOOD and Our Health, and the benefits of realizing that simple informed changes can make all the difference. This is a course in looking at our own mindset concerning food & our health. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in using food to improve their own health and well-being, and the health of their family.

By Laurence D

Dec 29, 2016

Amazing course. I learnt everything I wanted (and needed) to know about the basics of good nutrition. I loved how the course doesn't just give you general information but also practical tips to shop, cook and eat better. I feel that I gained knowledge but also the ability to apply this knowledge in my everyday life, which is very empowering. As a social scientist, I appreciated the effort put in addressing socioeconomic factors affecting people's diet. To me, the course was complete and thorough its its objectives, and the great quality videos were very enjoyable to watch. I could tell that there was a team of professionals who put their passion and skills behind each one of them.

By Khrystyna V

Jul 05, 2018

I have studied nutrition and dieting for a long time and had quite a deep knowledge as for a normal person only taking care of my own health. However, there still were some gaps which I could not understand despite all my researching. This course structured all my knowledge and clarified all things that I could not understand. It is so clear and so influential, that I even started to translate it into Ukrainian and Turkish, both of which are my mother tongues, to make it accessible for more people. I am going to convince all of my relatives and friend to take the course because it is crucial for happy and healthy living. I want to thank everyone involved in creating this course!

By Ndeye F N

Jul 30, 2019

Unfortunately, I had a failing grade in Sport and to catch up and get my credits, my schools registered me to this "class". At first I was septic about it because i wasn't interested but when I really started reading the materials, I really learned a lot. Life changing information, I tend to really eat until i am full and mostly with processed food, by now i will eat until i'm not feeling hungry anymore and with natural fresh foods.

Now I know how to be healthy by doing shopping and .i am someone who hates to cook and just order food, with the videos, my mind has changed, I will try to cook by myself at home so that i can control what i am eating and be healthier.

By Valeria F

Jun 03, 2018

It was really nice listening to Mrs. Adam ! I really enjoyed your course, even if, for me, since I am Italian, I already enjoy cooking and eating healthy food. I just want to try to loose some weight, that's why I started and completed the course. I really liked the videos, they look really professional. I am just sad about so many people in the world who cannot afford nice and healthy food, like 13 millions of Americans live in so-called "food desert" with no fresh food at all. I hope that more whealthy people will become aware of good nutrition and so can choose wisely what and how and when to eat and more poor people that can afford the healthy food. Thank you so much!

By Sushant K

Feb 14, 2020

A great course for building foundations of food and health. I've been obsessed around diet for the last couple of years and have been to numerous dieticians. After a lot of research, I decided to learn the basics of food & nutrition so as to better work out my diet. This course has been phenomenal in helping me understand the basics. The content delivery is very good and the course is very engaging.

I would recommend everyone who wants to make the most of their life to follow a healthy diet. It allows you to live up to your true potential. This course will help you understand the basics and should be done by anyone who wants to follow a healthy sustainable lifestyle.

By saidev

Apr 06, 2020

This is really great course for beginners like me and helps you with at least fixing your food habits and this also helps you understand what to look in processed food like the simple pro-tip the less number of ingredients the better it is and also foods with no labels are always the best like the whole foods. This also breaks another myth which most people even me believed that your plate should be built around protein which is not the right thing instead it should be around vegetables that your plate should be designed. Instructor Maya has been really great at teaching all the basics. Thanks a lot for putting together a super helpful and knowledgeable course

By Marlene J K

Feb 01, 2016

I signed up for this course because of health issues - my triglyceride level was a bit to high on my last blood analysis. Even though I felt, and still feel, that this course is more specifically aimed at people who are inexperienced in the kitchen and maybe even overweight, it has helped me and my family improve some of the aspects of our lives that could still be improved. Furthermore, i think this is a course that everyone should take for themselves and especially for their families, since the person who cooks is the one influencing everyone's diet and therefore their health.

Maya, thank you so much for sharing your wisdom (and your recipes) with us!

By Jenelle H

Dec 31, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. Dr. Adam was very informative. The illustrations were very helpful in helping to support the information that was given. I am an RN, and wanted supplemental information on nutrition for my own personal purposes-overall health. The only thing that I might add, is during the "Reading Nutrition Labels" section, is to perhaps provide more information on how much of each area is recommended. For example, if a food contains X amount of Calories, Y amount of Carbohydrates, and M of Fat, this is/is not a good choice for you to eat. Otherwise, wonderful course. I'm glad that I took it! I gained new knowledge that I can now use.

By 张晓航

Jun 19, 2017

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000001189 StartFragment:0000000595 EndFragment:0000001143

This course is not all about nutriology or simply introducing any knowledge as I expected in the first place. In fact, it changes my opinions towards healthy diet. After taking the course, I know which food to choose for health purpose and avoid those heavily processed foods that could lead to obesity. And the most important thing is that I become more positive towards everyday meals. I don't feel boring during the whole process of preparing food anymore even it is only for myself and begin to enjoy the pleasure that food brings to me.

By Salil P G

Jun 18, 2020

This course is the best way to know about food. We get to learn a lot about calories and the food intake and how to control and bring gradual changes to our diet in order to progress and achieve our health related goals.

I have just one suggestion. I believe that many of the students are from Asian Countries like India, Vietnam, China Etc. So I feel that It will be great if you can include statistics from the Asian countries as well relating to Obesity, Dietary patterns etc. which are all mentioned in the videos.

In the end, A very big THANK YOU to Ms. Maya Adams and Mr. Michael Pollan for making the course easy and understandable for all of us.

By Rafaela P d A

Aug 24, 2017

Even that I haven't paid for it and that I won't have any certificate showing that I took this course, I would spraid the knowledge that I've learnt. Everything that I listen to in this course has made an impact on me and I would like to share with eveyone I know all the tips and advices about healthy food. I got now a different point of view about food. Food isn't just a thing that we eat in order to get energy, it is a delightful way of enjoying life. I'm looking forward to cook one of the Maya's recipes. Finally, I just want to thank the Stanford Univertisty and Course for letting me takes this course from my own house, in Spain.

By Shradha R

Jan 18, 2019

I think this is one course which is absolutely essential for everybody and even more so for people who intend to be more aware of the food that they are putting in their body. As a food blogger, I always share recipes and suggest to people what they should eat and therefore for me, this course has been so helpful and constructive. I love the fact that this course shares all the vital information in a very crisp, clear and simple way. The fact that they are empowering and encouraging people to cook at home and providing helpful guidelines and tips to help them is commendable. Maya and Micheal have done a great job. Thanks a lot!

By Chinmoy C

Oct 22, 2019

it is a beautiful course, I stopped myself from buying a pack of kurkure (indian version of cheetos) and my wife will attest to what a great feat this is... but I expected something more in terms of chemistry and may be little equations and more medical terms that I needed to google at the end of the video. but then this was a beginner level course. However I am grateful to the team for setting up such an easy going course which is plenty in information and yet not too heavy to grasp. and kudos to Michael Pollan for writing food rules, apart from 'twinkle twinkle little star', my 2 year old is going to be reciting

By Stephen H

Feb 27, 2016

Very well presented course.

To certain degree, the concepts are basic. If you're looking for a course that explains the physiological effects of sodium or the chemical reaction of glucose, this is not it. However, it gives sensible advice about how to eat well for a healthy life.

I took away a number of good ideas. Also, the course helped me put into a wider context some things I already knew in a disjointed manner, which helped me to understand them better.

Good structure, script, presentation (including interaction between the presenters), visuals...

In summary, I feel following this course was time well spent.

By Fabio L A

May 05, 2020

Excelente curso que fue orientado de de una manera muy especial por MAYA ADAMS, quien inspira a sus estudiantes con su compromiso y su maravillosa forma de hablar, caracterizada por la claridad en la pronunciación, presentando ideas claras y concisas que permite una asimilación por parte del estudiante, de cada tema, muy bien planeado el curso en cuanto se puede desarrollar de una manera que no sea demasiado exigente en tiempo pero a su vez permite aprendizajes muy valiosos que nos permiten cambiar nuestros hábitos alimenticios y nos llevan a tomar medidas para lograr unos habitos nutriciones saludables.

By Joris B

Aug 09, 2020

Hello, Many thanks for this excellent course. I was already extremely health conscious and aged 66 I have the same weight as when I was 25. I knew most of the common sense approach -Martin’s mantra- and never use processed foods but have learned much about sugar and the different types of fats, notably about trans fats and also that, in limited quantities, some saturated fats are acceptable. More info on cheese, potatoes and alcohol would have been welcome. Perhaps also whether deep frozen vegetables are more /less healthy than fresh ones. In any case, I greatly enjoyed this course. Many thanks, Joris

By Tonya R

Mar 18, 2020

Good basic course. Easy to understand.

Allowing us to self pace is critical for me. I started course before it was all opened and available so I had to stop and wait a week or two for subsequent sections to open. I'd rather have full course available from start and let me take it at my pace but within a specified period of time. Usually I can complete more in one setting and other times life means you have to start and stop and return a week later. For example the 2020 pandemic also impacted when I could finish this course. But as we isolate I will be able to take more courses Amen!

By Jovana D

Nov 07, 2016

This is a great course for someone who is just getting into the whole healthy eating thing. As someone who is familiar with Michael Pollan, (I'm a huge fan!), I didn't hear too many new things. Nevertheless, the course has a fantastic flow, it's a pleasure to listen to, and even though most of the things I was already familiar with, the course is so beautifully designed that it was great going through it again and again. Thank you Stanford University, I wish you had more courses like this, just with a bit higher level of difficulty. All the best, and good luck to the future students!

By Kameeka S

Jul 09, 2018

This course was incredibly informational. The facts and information are easy to digest (pun intended :) and share. I am so excited to share what I learned with my family and friends. I love that they give you simple, actionable items and do not suggest any extreme dietary measures. I also appreciate that they do not include senseless activities, but rather simple quizzes at the end of each unit that actually challenge your understanding. The videos are very quick and easy to consume and understand. My only regret was that the course was so short and I could not learn more from them!

By Lucille C

Sep 27, 2019

In this course, I've learned about making wise and healthy decision in taking, buying, making food that is beneficial for my family and my own health. I learned that it's important to have moderation in eating, that planning is essential when buying and consuming food that will have nutritional effects on your body. I've learned that buying organic food or food with less nutritional facts is a wiser decision than opting for processed food. Most of all, preferring plant-based diet has long-term health benefits on our body, mind, and soul. Thank you Coursera and Stanford University.

By Jessica A

May 05, 2020

I am a sophomore in high school, due to the social distancing because of coronavirus I have had more time at home. I decided to take this free course and I am so glad I did. I learned so much without feeling like it was a burden, it was very simple and easy to understand. The videos are short and I especially loe that I can complete the course at my own pace meaning I don't have to worry too much about due dates. I would totally recommend this to anyone simply interested in learning more about food and health and how to make healthier decisions when it comes to our food intake.

By Brandon C

Oct 18, 2017

loved this course, as a chiropractic assistant, who works in a naturopathic facility treating neuropathy, this course has enlightened me to the many natural and fresh foods, our patients can eat happily, while enjoying the same great tasting foods as before. Many of our patients are diabetic and we encourage a natural, fresh palio diet, low in sugar and dairy / grain consumption. I loved the idea of cooking and sharing recipes with us, toward the end of this course. Thank you very much, I am sure hundreds of thousands of others can benefit from this course, as I surely have.