Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

CS

Aug 27, 2019

TL

Oct 01, 2016

Extremely interesting course. I feel the material and videos were very easy to absorb and understand. I certainly would recommend this to anyone with an interest in food and how it affects our health.

51 - 75 of 3,187 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

By Rafaela P d A

Aug 24, 2017

Even that I haven't paid for it and that I won't have any certificate showing that I took this course, I would spraid the knowledge that I've learnt. Everything that I listen to in this course has made an impact on me and I would like to share with eveyone I know all the tips and advices about healthy food. I got now a different point of view about food. Food isn't just a thing that we eat in order to get energy, it is a delightful way of enjoying life. I'm looking forward to cook one of the Maya's recipes. Finally, I just want to thank the Stanford Univertisty and Course for letting me takes this course from my own house, in Spain.

By Shradha R

Jan 18, 2019

I think this is one course which is absolutely essential for everybody and even more so for people who intend to be more aware of the food that they are putting in their body. As a food blogger, I always share recipes and suggest to people what they should eat and therefore for me, this course has been so helpful and constructive. I love the fact that this course shares all the vital information in a very crisp, clear and simple way. The fact that they are empowering and encouraging people to cook at home and providing helpful guidelines and tips to help them is commendable. Maya and Micheal have done a great job. Thanks a lot!

By Chinmoy C

Oct 22, 2019

it is a beautiful course, I stopped myself from buying a pack of kurkure (indian version of cheetos) and my wife will attest to what a great feat this is... but I expected something more in terms of chemistry and may be little equations and more medical terms that I needed to google at the end of the video. but then this was a beginner level course. However I am grateful to the team for setting up such an easy going course which is plenty in information and yet not too heavy to grasp. and kudos to Michael Pollan for writing food rules, apart from 'twinkle twinkle little star', my 2 year old is going to be reciting

By Stephen H

Feb 27, 2016

Very well presented course.

To certain degree, the concepts are basic. If you're looking for a course that explains the physiological effects of sodium or the chemical reaction of glucose, this is not it. However, it gives sensible advice about how to eat well for a healthy life.

I took away a number of good ideas. Also, the course helped me put into a wider context some things I already knew in a disjointed manner, which helped me to understand them better.

Good structure, script, presentation (including interaction between the presenters), visuals...

In summary, I feel following this course was time well spent.

By Tonya R

Mar 18, 2020

Good basic course. Easy to understand.

Allowing us to self pace is critical for me. I started course before it was all opened and available so I had to stop and wait a week or two for subsequent sections to open. I'd rather have full course available from start and let me take it at my pace but within a specified period of time. Usually I can complete more in one setting and other times life means you have to start and stop and return a week later. For example the 2020 pandemic also impacted when I could finish this course. But as we isolate I will be able to take more courses Amen!

By Jovana D

Nov 07, 2016

This is a great course for someone who is just getting into the whole healthy eating thing. As someone who is familiar with Michael Pollan, (I'm a huge fan!), I didn't hear too many new things. Nevertheless, the course has a fantastic flow, it's a pleasure to listen to, and even though most of the things I was already familiar with, the course is so beautifully designed that it was great going through it again and again. Thank you Stanford University, I wish you had more courses like this, just with a bit higher level of difficulty. All the best, and good luck to the future students!

By Kameeka S

Jul 09, 2018

This course was incredibly informational. The facts and information are easy to digest (pun intended :) and share. I am so excited to share what I learned with my family and friends. I love that they give you simple, actionable items and do not suggest any extreme dietary measures. I also appreciate that they do not include senseless activities, but rather simple quizzes at the end of each unit that actually challenge your understanding. The videos are very quick and easy to consume and understand. My only regret was that the course was so short and I could not learn more from them!

By Lucille C

Sep 27, 2019

In this course, I've learned about making wise and healthy decision in taking, buying, making food that is beneficial for my family and my own health. I learned that it's important to have moderation in eating, that planning is essential when buying and consuming food that will have nutritional effects on your body. I've learned that buying organic food or food with less nutritional facts is a wiser decision than opting for processed food. Most of all, preferring plant-based diet has long-term health benefits on our body, mind, and soul. Thank you Coursera and Stanford University.

By Brandon C

Oct 18, 2017

loved this course, as a chiropractic assistant, who works in a naturopathic facility treating neuropathy, this course has enlightened me to the many natural and fresh foods, our patients can eat happily, while enjoying the same great tasting foods as before. Many of our patients are diabetic and we encourage a natural, fresh palio diet, low in sugar and dairy / grain consumption. I loved the idea of cooking and sharing recipes with us, toward the end of this course. Thank you very much, I am sure hundreds of thousands of others can benefit from this course, as I surely have.

By Inga K

Jan 15, 2020

I have immensely enjoyed this course. It is a well structured and easy-to-follow course that offers basic information needed to make more informed choices about food.

Maya Adams, M.D. is a wonderful and engaging speaker - her presetations as well as her conversations with Mr. Michael Pollan kept my attention from the beginning until the very end. The selection of recipes at the end of the course was a nice bonus.

Thank you for providing this course. I sincerely hope there will be other more in-depth courses regarding this topic.

Kind regards from Bosnia and Herzegovina,

Inga

By JOURDIN W

Jul 22, 2019

Ce cours sur la santé et la nutrition me permet de savoir que la santé passe par l’assiette et l’activité physique. Avec l'acquisition de nouvelles connaissances en ce domaine j'ai fini par réaliser que les liens entre nutrition et santé sont de mieux en mieux connus, et le risque de développer de nombreuses maladies telles que: cancer, maladies cardiovasculaires, obésité ou encore de diabète de type 2, si on n'a pas équilibré et mesuré ce que nous mengeons. Ce cours me procure également des connaissances techniques, sécuritaires de préparation et de cuisson des aliments.

By Ines A

Jan 21, 2020

I really loved the course. By the way, I am thinking of attending Standford University for more options to continue learning and studying this nutrition science. I have learned skills I have not done before. I am so happy with the job I did and the way my teacher taught the subject. I also emphasize the fact that the Doctor who is interviewed geves really interesting info for the teacher to use his knowledge as a backbone to support what she is explaining. Awesome!! Congratulations for this incredible course Standford. I would like you to have more of these in this app.

By Marco

Jan 08, 2019

Very well done beginner course on food and nutrition. It has four main parts. The first part does high level introduction of key scientific concepts. It is however just to give a better understanding of the topic. The other 3 parts talk a lot about practical aspects of food and nutrition including what to eat.

I definitely recommend this course as a primer for whoever is interested in the topic. As recommended in the course as follow up i also watched two moovies Fed Up and in defense of food.

To Course and instructors, thanks for letting me learn more about the topic

By Blanca I M R

Jun 30, 2017

I think this course is great. With simple videos and explanations we can learn about our metabolism and the right way to eat. I have just studied a course here in Mexico about Applied nutrition and this course was very helpful for explaining concepts in a simple and easy way. Is the third course I take with her and I really admire her manner, and the way she make us understand concepts. I just hope that you can offer the course with subtitles in Spanish because not everybody, specally many that could appreciate the content of the course can understand English.

By David B

Aug 21, 2017

This is the second course I have taken on food and nutrition that was taught by Maya Adam MD. This course and the related videos are excellent just like the first course I took. Maya is a wonderful instructor. She presents the information about food and nutrition in an easy manner that anyone can learn from, understand and then utilize the information that she presents in order to make better healthy food selections while at home, on the go and while shopping in a grocery store. I highly recommend everyone take all of Dr Adam's food and nutrition courses.

By Andrew H

Jan 12, 2018

It has been almost a year since I have taken this class, and switched up my diet to be more aligned with what I learned. The results have been great. I feel healthier, more alert during the day and have more energy than ever before. I am making smarter food decisions, and have a better relationship with my food. I thought eating "healthy" was going to be more expensive, but instead I have actually saved money on grocery shopping by cutting out a lot of processed foods, meats, and snacks. This is a great class and I highly recommend it to everyone.

By Norma G

Jun 30, 2016

I really enjoyed this course.

The explanations were very clear, she caught up my attention and I also love the book: "Food, Love, family". I absolutely recommend everybody in this course to get it.

As a testimony, my life has totally changed, I started love cooking, I enjoyed trying new foods, and I want to make a better world by education in nutrition and the need for all parents in the planet to know more about how can they love their family better by eating healthy, fresh and homemade food together.

Thank you, Maya.

Cheers from Zacatecas, Mexico.

By Nicolas A

Jan 28, 2016

Great introduction! I will definitely recommend this course to many of my relatives to whom I struggle to explain what a healthy diet means! To me, two aspects could be emphasized a bit more as I can see many people trying to eat healthy making those mistakes: 1. eating natural non organic food is better than processed organic food, 2. marketed healthy food is usually not healthy (orange juices etc.) as natural healthy food does not have to be marketed. Raise awareness against marketing labels "organic" and "healthy"

Great job! Thanks a lot.

By Cynthia Y

Feb 12, 2020

This course truly helped me understand the importance of choosing the right foods to eat. It taught me about nutrition labels and how marketing can easily fool us into thinking something is healthy to eat when it really isn't. I loved the simple explanations which helped me really understand the information in a clear way. From now on I wıll base our meals around the vegetables I wıll cook for that day and I wıll be sure to remind myself and my loved ones to stop eating once we are no longer hungry. Thank you for the life changing tips!

By Ameya D

Feb 14, 2017

Excellent Course! Folks this is not just about type of nutrients and nutrition. All your questions regarding will be answered through this course. It does not only tell you what not to but also tell you what should you eat and what amount, I think that is the most important thing.

I highly recommend everyone (even if you think you are not fat, you are very healthy) to follow this course. You can see there are years and years of research and experiments are explained in very simple words and along with solutions to all problems we face.

By Prabhsimran S

Jan 21, 2016

Awesome course. I won't say that it was way too easy for me to solve the quizzes. I have been reading for a while before I took this MOOC. Loved everything about this course. Both the instructors were amazing, especially Dr. Maya Adam. Would love to take another course with her. Some really good additions to my knowledge database. Though it was good to learn how to access a proper food market to buy good food. Thank you guys for such an amazing learning experience. I will be waiting for another course from the same team. ADIOS!!!!

By Ivana R

Mar 22, 2017

Great introduction for people who eat a lot of processed foods and would like to change it. I liked the simple language, rather than difficult breakdowns of chemical compounds and processes that I encountered in different course. I believe this will help many people understand the reason why they feel bad in a simple, understandable way. I cook at home every day. For me it's the best way how to stay healthy and know what's in my food. This course was right on track with my believes and I greatly enjoyed it! Thank you so much!

By Asfaari R

Jun 24, 2017

Previously, I just want to eat and cook more healthy food but did not know the details regarding it. I just googled what healthy breakfast that I should eat, what fruits that is best for breakfast, etc. Founding this excellent course, I get a detail knowledge about healthy food, processed food, glycemic index (and I love this phrase), how to read the nutrition labels, and many more new knowledge. Learning from this course make me want to change some bad dietary habit that I have right now. Thank you very much Miss. Maya :)

By Christopher A

Feb 25, 2016

It fit almost exactly what I was looking for in the course. Simple high level guidance about food, nutrition and communicating it in terms of the foods we would buy in a grocery and the portioning and composition of an ideal plate of food. Very digestable videos broken up to keep interest. One thing that might have been nice was delving deeper or providing references with more sources of each type of macronutrient so you could walk away from the course and just begin mix and matching. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

By Amanda A

Jun 07, 2017

Very useful! It's neat to see things like this on Coursera in addition to the more traditional subjects of study. I hope someday we will see thing like this in classrooms for young children, since eating properly is something so many people don't naturally learn from their families anymore. We may or may not ever use a given traditional academic subject after we graduate, but eating is something all of us do for the rest of our lives. This should be a core subject in all programs, alongside math/science/reading/writing.