Back to Introduction to Forensic Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Forensic Science by Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

We have all seen forensic scientists in TV shows, but how do they really work? What is the science behind their work? The course aims to explain the scientific principles and techniques behind the work of forensic scientists and will be illustrated with numerous case studies from Singapore and around the world. Some questions which we will attempt to address include: How did forensics come about? What is the role of forensics in police work? Can these methods be used in non-criminal areas? Blood. What is it? How can traces of blood be found and used in evidence? Is DNA chemistry really so powerful? What happens (biologically and chemically) if someone tries to poison me? What happens if I try to poison myself? How can we tell how long someone has been dead? What if they have been dead for a really long time? Can a little piece of a carpet fluff, or a single hair, convict someone? Was Emperor Napoleon murdered by the perfidious British, or killed by his wallpaper? *For Nanyang Technological University (NTU) students, please be noted that this course will no longer be eligible for credit transfer....

SF
Nov 12, 2020

Thanks to Mr Roderick Wayland Bates for his simple and vivid explanation .....I liked his way of presentation... The course was really very useful and the case studies were thought provoking......

NU
Jun 17, 2020

The training and instruction received in the course of the program were an excellent one. It exposed me to various techniques used for crime investigation. Generally, I had an awesome experience.

101 - 125 of 386 Reviews for Introduction to Forensic Science

By Nikita C

Jul 8, 2020

The course was truly amazing. I got to learn so many novel things about crimes, patterns, phenomenons, etc.. One should definitely give it a shot if you wish to learn something new.

By Stephanie C

May 2, 2020

This was a very interesting and informative course. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I enjoyed the lectures, and I think the Professor was very easy to listen to, and learn from!

By Adriana R S L

Aug 14, 2018

its educational and the cases helps you to understand in an easier way, it was also a good reminder of some old learned info stacked in the back of my brain...highly recommended!!

By Janice J C

Jul 17, 2020

It was a great experience to be able to learn more about forensic science. The teacher was very knowledgeable and he even had a great sense of humor. I totally enjoyed the class.

By Bruna N F

Aug 14, 2020

Amazing! Professor Roderick Bates is really great at explaining difficult concepts! And the content of the course is absolutely fantastic! I learned so much during this 8 weeks!

By Gargi K

Nov 23, 2020

Thankyou so much for providing such a wonderful course.. I enjoyed it and was so surprised that my own biotech field was used and is still in advanced used in forensic sciences

By NITISH M

Jul 16, 2019

Really find interesting.

I got a lot of knowledge about the forensics and also got to know that the forensics in TV and movies is really somewhat different from the real world.

By Anna S L

Oct 11, 2017

I am really enjoying this course: it is very well made and I am learning a lot of interesting informations that other similar courses do not even mention. Thank you Mr Bates!

By Juan P V

Aug 5, 2020

Excellent course, really interesting.

The instructor gives the information in a very enjoyable way, and has the ability to explain complex concepts in clear and easy terms.

By Margarita K

Jun 28, 2020

Wonderful course! I like everything: theory, experiment videos, pictures, cases, and of course practice. Everything was explained in detail. One of the best courses I took.

By Nilesh W

Dec 20, 2019

Very informative and interactive course. Good for basic understanding of Forensic Science.

Looking forward for advance level course including other areas of FS as well.

By Viona L D s

May 23, 2020

Absolutely loved this course!! Definitely what I was looking for. It was extremely informative & loved the fact that we got to see a few practical experiments as well!

By Andrea F

An advanced basis of forensic sciences, we understand the various laboratory sectors and which analyzes can be evidentiary and which only indicative. Very interesting

By Hanna H

Aug 28, 2020

course was fun, and made me think outside the box. I learned about blood spatter, and how to read it, and a lot of different kinds of forensic testing that they do.

By Niveditha i

Dec 7, 2019

It has provided a good amount of information to understand the basics of the subject with lots of case studies makes us understand the application dynamics as well.

By Carol S d N

Jul 20, 2020

This course is amazing because the way the teacher explains the cases is perfect, I could understand them all and learned how to do a lot of things, so thanks

By Janice R

Nov 10, 2020

Thank you for such an interesting course! I love watching crime scene investigation shows so this course enlightened me a lot on what real CSI work is about.

By Aaliyah M

Jun 10, 2020

Very informative and entertaining lectures! Learned a lot in a short span of minutes, and it's friendly to those who are not very familiar with the concepts.

By Tahir A

Jun 2, 2020

A great course where one can learn the basics and fundamentals of forensic science. Also, the instructor presents the course in a simple and informative way.

By A. U d

May 14, 2020

I have learned many new things related ti science...forensic science always been my favorite topic .thank you instructor for sharing your knowledge with us

By Cristian B C

thanks for the course, it was very interesting, very exciting, you should get the second part, a recognized university, very happy and I would recommend.

By Rianna M

Oct 22, 2020

This course was absolutely incredible and informative!! I enjoyed this entire course, everything was detailed, explained simply and very understandable.

By Mariela H

Aug 12, 2020

I really liked this course, it is very good, with very important and understandable information. The teacher is really good.

Thank you, I learned a lot.

By Shamas u R

Apr 12, 2019

Through Coursera I have learned many more abilities like to investigate the case, It help me to enhance my abilities very much.

Thank you Coursera...!!!

By Cynthia S

Jul 12, 2020

Excellent course and presenter. Very interesting and well organized. I looked forward to each week's lectures and assignments! Thank you, Roderick!