Back to Fundamentals of Graphic Design

GA

Aug 21, 2018

Very interesting, I liked the format. Easy to follow, nice excercises. It's actually good to cover the basics of design, even if you are not an absolute beginner, and especially if you are self taught

CS

May 10, 2018

An ok course for beginners. A bit too basic for someone who has already had experience in design, but is great anyway cause it breaks things back down to the simplest parts to help you remember roots.

126 - 150 of 2,497 Reviews for Fundamentals of Graphic Design

By Lori S

Feb 08, 2019

Before this course I was a bit afraid of graphic design, but this course broke it down into parts I could understand. It became less scary and more of a game of playing with shapes and text. I feel like I got a glimpse into the language of graphic design and started to learn it. Hopefully I will grow further as I continue to take the courses.

By Kristina G

Feb 24, 2020

Nice course to learn basics. The main part of the course is a practice which is great! If you want to learn something for real then be ready to spend enough time completing tasks. In general, I spent 2-3 hours on each task (there are about 2 tasks per week) and I am happy to have real results :) After the course I feel motivated to learn more.

By Niladri S J

Sep 11, 2019

Though I had a few basic ideas about graphic design fundamentals, this course helped me go through some organized lessons on those fundamental concepts and some more that were completely new to me. Also, the course engaged me a lot, especially through the practice exercises. And now I can concentrate on a structured approach to graphic design.

By Carmela O

May 08, 2020

Definitely learned the fundamentals and foundation of graphic design. I came into this course with a degree in B.A. and experience in digital art. But I knew I did not learn the proper foundations and rules of graphic design. This course was indeed informative and helpful in fulfilling that gap in my knowledge. Highly recommend this course!

By David U

Mar 07, 2016

I had a great time doing this course. Professor Worthington covers the theory in an interesting and useful way. The lectures are short and sweet. The best part of the course is the 9 creative assignments (2 compulsory and 7 optional, but recommended) that really force you to expand your technical skill set and get out of your comfort zone.

By Daniele T

Sep 15, 2016

I really enjoyed this course, I like how It is organized, I like the teacher too, I think that makes a big difference. Many times this course surprised me with things I believed obvious or things I didn't know at all. I would recommend this course to everyone interested in this subject. Thank you CalARTS and Coursera for this opportunity!

By Fides M

Jun 29, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! I am a beginner and I like that after discussing theory, we plunged right into action with projects that squeezed our creative juices! I only wish that I had a bit more experience using Illustrator before beginning this course. That said, it pushed me to start learning it, concurrent with this course.

By Kanak C

Apr 27, 2020

This course was amazing. It always kept me working and explore and brainstorm. It has given me a new perspective of looking at any hoarding, advertisement or business card or any typography. I would recommend that you should include more content and little deep concepts. I think this has been very basic. Thank you so much for the course.

By Lorenzo F

Jun 24, 2017

Amazing course! it gives you insights if u're starter as well as some creative input if you're already into this field. Looking forward to continue with other courses in this specialization!

Lectures and lecturers are very clear. The material is very fluent and if you pay attention you don't even have to watch it more than once!

Good job!

By Melinda N

Jan 26, 2016

Nice short course with the right balance of theory and practical assignments. Only two assignments are required for completion but there are several assignments that are optional and to get the full benefit of this course, the optional assignments are important, if you have the time for it. The course covers all the basics and it's fun.

By Sunan F

May 31, 2016

This was an excellent course that was well taught and offered practical and real usable assignments. I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to learn about graphic design while learning how to apply concepts. The professors lectures were clear concise and very well organized and gave great examples for each concept discussed.

By Michelle R

Aug 14, 2017

Este curso me ayudó a aprender de una manera sencilla y estratégica lo básico del Diseño Gráfico, o al menos de una buena parte. Es excelente, y a todo aquel que esté interesado en comenzar en el Diseño les recomiendo 100% el curso. Es teórico, práctico y a parte tienes los consejos de compañeros en los proyectos que vayas elaborando.

By Kathryn

Mar 09, 2016

This was a great introductory course. I appreciated how much the lectures were chunked down--to make it easier to move through the information each week and that there was a good mixture of required and optional exercises. I had fun!

I also liked that this course did not require software such as Indesign, Illustrator, or Photoshop.

By Natasha G

Dec 28, 2016

Dear Teacher, I really enjoyed the first part (module) of the Graphic Design. It was more than introduction and i really loved the practical work at the beginning. I will recommend this course further. The start is very important and that's why i decided to enroll al 5 modules. THANK YOU!

Continue with you great work in the future!

By Erhan D

Feb 14, 2016

If you want to be designer, get your hands dirty on the job! I really liked this course. It really showed a new perspective for making designs and I have learned new terms and concepts during the course. I would like to continue different graphic design courses in following days in Coursera. Really appreciated it. Thanks for all :)

By Jennifer H

May 16, 2017

I very much enjoyed this course. I feel like I got alot out of the student reviews and the instruction was very well done. I can't imagine feeling like one had accomplished this course without doing all the recommended exercises, so I strongly urge any participant to do them all. I will be taking all the classes in this program.

By Chryssa M

Apr 09, 2017

As this was my first course on graphic design, I WAS FASCINATED! I learned so many things- which our prof. made clear-and for the first time I used the graphics and did things I had never thought I could do. Our Prof was excellent, no unanswered questions, a lot of creative work, it was really a great experience

Thanks a lot!

By Smriti K

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you Michael Worthington for this fun course! I loved the classes and all of the assignments we had to do, especially helps that they were peer graded. Getting these sort of insights help you make critical choices of you are as a designer and what is your personal style.

Looking forward to taking up more of such courses :)

By aritra g

Jun 21, 2020

It was indeed a very pleasant experience learning the fundamentals of graphic design. I was really excited to be a part of this course and in the meantime I learned a lot of new things. And the exercises were designed so well, that no one can ever feel bored. What I liked the most about this course is, the system of reviewing.

By Magdalena G

Jul 18, 2019

Excellent course as others offered in this specialization. It provided me with very strong basics of graphic design. The content of the course is very practical. I highly recommend all the courses in this specialization as moving on to the next ones will provide you with very good introduction to graphic design and its rules.

By Anastasia R

Aug 21, 2016

Briiliant course! It gives you very solid fundamentals for all other courses of the Graphic design specialization. The teacher is very passionate, loves his subject and can make all ideas very understandable. The course helps to believe in inner strenght and creativity. I loved it so much! Thanks for this amazing 4 weeks!

By Samantha M

Mar 22, 2016

This course was very easy to follow along with, making learning the fundamentals of graphic design easy and fun. The assignments required and optional challenged both your understanding of the material and your creativity. I loved every second of this course and I would recommend it to anyone interested in graphic design.

By Jennifer B

Feb 09, 2016

This was my first attempt at a MOOC, and I think I'm spoiled. This is the just right format and just right medium for learning these skills. The class demonstration videos are simple enough to really demonstrate the concepts. The exercises are also well formulated to help get the concepts across effectively in this medium.

By Fred R

Jan 21, 2017

I found the lessons very interesting. I've read lots of design books and used Photoshop and Illustrator for a while in my job (web writer / marketer / developer) and this courses bridges the gap between all the information in my head and the hard question : how to use all that in a creative way ? I really appreciate it !

By Sherelle K L

Mar 09, 2016

I had an absolutely wonderful doing this course. I always wanted to do a graphic design course and this one sure did help me with learning all about the fundamentals of graphic design. I do hope to complete the entire specialisation later on. Great job, Coursera and CAL Arts! I look forward to your other art courses.