Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

126 - 150 of 593 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Vesna S

Aug 14, 2016

I really liked how the course was organised and it was actually really fun and enjoyable, making the learning process all the more easier. Fran is awesome :)

By Grace M

Feb 15, 2016

This course was very fun to take part in, the videos were enjoyable to watch, and the weekly projects were very fun to not only create, but to also critique.

By Jaime K

Oct 23, 2017

This course was very fun and challenging. The instruction and assignments were very clearly communicated. I had a great time learning and evolving my ideas!

By Alan S

May 13, 2016

Bastante interessante para pessoas que tem uma certa noção com jogos. O professor tem bastante habilidade em passar a informação e tem exercícios práticos.

By merve n d

Nov 10, 2020

The instructor was awesome and lessons were very fun. The examples helps a lot to understand the fundamentals of game design. I enjoyed a lot, thank you!

By Charlotte H

Dec 14, 2018

Great content, perfect level for beginners with a wide scope that can apply to all sorts of games. The videos are fun, engaging and really worth watching.

By Raul C

Oct 14, 2015

Great Course, great professor, great videos and very very good content.

Eve if you're not a beginner you should do this course to refresh your knowledge.

By Andres M

Sep 22, 2015

One of the best teacher i've ever have, i enjoy every minute of the video, love the "assistant teacher", i wish to be able to shake his hand some day.

By MARIA S

Sep 21, 2020

Great course! I loved the classes, the professor was really funny and it was easy to follow, I would love more classes could be as cool as this course!

By Syed F A

Aug 13, 2020

This is a great course for learning and children can take a lot of benefit from it as we have to design paper-based games which would be easy for them.

By SHIVAM K V

Jun 8, 2020

The overall course is very much interesting and it helps me to explore new ideas, concepts, imagination and curiosity to discover new things.

thank you.

By Daniel M

Apr 17, 2020

Good introduction to designing a game and things to think about when structuring it. Friendly instructor and lays it out in an easy to understand way!

By Gianna K

Feb 20, 2016

This class was so much fun. It really taught me a lot about the basic fundamentals of game design and I learned so much from it in a fun and easy way.

By Muhammad U

Oct 17, 2015

Really Awesome course to take a Start in Game Designing. Very easy English and Visual effect with Character in teaching really increase understanding.

By Stephen J R

Jun 11, 2016

A very good intro into the process behind creating higher quality game rules and storylines. Also a lot of fun to watch. Definitely a good course for

By Shiran I

Feb 7, 2016

I must admit that the thing that appealed to me foremost was the joy and humor that were used during the lessons. This made each lesson fun to watch.

By MIHIR T

Jul 28, 2020

It was amazing to learn game design from beginning. I never thought it will be so great. Thank you instructors for explaining in such a simple way.

By Zoltán K

Aug 20, 2020

I really enjoyed the course, loved the homeworks! Never have I loved doing homeworks in my life, but working on your own little game is super fun!

By Yoás S R G

Oct 21, 2015

The videos are short, concrete, simple, with clear examples and even funny. As a whole i think the class offers lots of things to learn and think.

By jhonatan g r t

Aug 21, 2016

las reglas y elaborar un juego de mesa, nunca imagine que esa era la manera de sacar la esencia de un juego antes de ir a la tecnología, gracias.

By Demetrio C

Jan 10, 2021

I can't really express how well this course is, it gave me theoretical and practical knowledge, I feel able to understand games and create them.

By 高飞

Mar 20, 2018

It is a very good introductory course for novice game makers. Easy to understand, and detailed introduction.

对于新手游戏制作者来说,是十分好的入门课程。简单易懂,且介绍详细。

By Dimitar V

Jan 21, 2016

This course made me see the basics of Game Design and what i need to know while designing my game for a single player or multiplayer. Good Job!

By Mohammad S

Sep 21, 2015

So far this course looks very exciting and the professor seems really knowledgeable and is making the videos very interesting and fun! love it.

By Jessica C

Oct 19, 2016

This is a fun and well done introductory course. The peer reviewed assignments are a great feature -very insightful comments and suggestions!