Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN

Apr 13, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG

Feb 13, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

176 - 200 of 523 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By weigang z

Feb 01, 2017

Excellent course to establish basic concepts of game design. Assignments are very practical and helpful.

By Mohammad M

Nov 12, 2017

A must have course if you want to make a game from scratch. Great information to make games really fun.

By Brian L

May 25, 2017

It is a good intro to what it takes to design an actual game. The course isn't challenging and is fun.

By JT

Jul 04, 2017

Instructor presents this course in a fun and interactive fashion - one of the best courses ive taken.

By Yibin W

Apr 06, 2017

I like the course. It is fun and interesting. I need to apply what we learnt to the game we designed.

By Alessandro

Dec 17, 2015

Fantastic course. Teach me some new things about game design and they stimulated my creativity.

Thanks

By Nadja C

Dec 07, 2015

Great course to give you a bit of an insight into game design and get you ready for the next courses.

By Melody Z

Sep 17, 2019

I really enjoyed taking this course. This course is nicely put together, and I learned tremendously!

By Andrew R

Nov 17, 2016

Fran the Man! Great pacing, videos and projects. Feedback structure and online interface is strong!

By Sergey P

Oct 08, 2015

Great course which takes a little time per each week but gives much info for future game designers.

By Angelo B

Feb 02, 2016

A very good experience, but if it could've helped me to find a job it would have been even better.

By Ran C

Nov 12, 2018

啊啊啊啊啊太棒了。 so great. so jealous of you American students who have these super fun professor! :joy:

By Tanja H

May 14, 2016

The cours was very good. The lecturer gave us a great idea of gamedesign and was very motivating.

By Alexandre T M

Jan 28, 2016

I'm enjoying the classes so much, all easy to get and actually fun.

The assignments are great too.

By Nathalie H

Oct 18, 2019

Excellent course! I learned a lot through the activities and classes, and the teacher was great!

By Tata D

Jan 25, 2016

a wonderful teaching! Im so sad that cant study offline at this place with so interesting people

By Dimitar K

Oct 27, 2015

Easy to understand and very fluent introduction into the world of game design. I liked it a lot!

By Izzy H

Apr 25, 2020

Super fun to do, and really got me thinking creatively. I had so much fun creating my own game!

By Rehanna L

May 03, 2016

This course was fun and informative, with many lessons demonstrating the concepts being relied.

By Amanda W

Mar 22, 2016

Great introduction to game design. I love that it was very practical, and invited you to create

By Shireen A A

Jan 08, 2016

Great course.. Helps awaken the creativity in you. The lectures are clear and fun to listen to.

By Andrey K

Oct 23, 2015

Really loved this course as it goes through basics of game design in an engaging and funny way.

By zhangmeng

Oct 03, 2016

I like this class very much, the teacher is very interesting, the video is also very lively,

By Tasneem Q

Mar 24, 2020

Fun and depends on practical side, got some awesome peer reviews the pushed my game forward

By Wafa' B

Jan 31, 2019

Great course by Mr. Fran and the team at CALARTS. Looking forward to complete this program!