Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

126 - 150 of 419 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Jeries H

Nov 11, 2015

Very fun course to take, the teacher makes good dynamics to keep me focused.

By Diego M

Nov 15, 2015

Increíble !

By Ri C

Jun 20, 2016

I enjoyed the course and assignments greatly. It really tested by creativity to design a game and laid out the basic elements of game design!

By Nimish M

Nov 14, 2015

Very informative and engaging.

By Deborah S

Aug 24, 2017

very kind, informative and inspiring teacher

By Tomer K

Oct 01, 2016

This course made me believe that I can really make interesting playable games.

The instructor was very funny and to the point.

By OJ

Nov 07, 2015

By Daria R

Nov 25, 2016

This course gives me a smile.

By Antonio B M

Dec 24, 2015

Very funny and simple, I enjoy all video and homework

By Philipp v S

Jan 27, 2017

This introduction to Game Design was exceptional! The teacher is great and manages to keep the course light and still deliver the necessary knowledge. In this course you learn the basics about games, what they are, what rules are, what characters are etc. For me it was just the perfect start.

By Yoás S R G

Oct 21, 2015

The videos are short, concrete, simple, with clear examples and even funny. As a whole i think the class offers lots of things to learn and think.

By Dimitri B

Apr 19, 2016

To my mind, this course is the perfect way to begin to understand Game Design. The learning-by-doing method is very efficient!

By Felix L

Oct 13, 2015

Really like this course

By Chloe C

Feb 15, 2016

I loved how this course built on the same assignment every week, so I ended up with a really fleshed out game idea by the end of the four weeks. Also, the peer feedback was useful and pushed me to be clear about my game rules, which was definitely a task.

By M L W

Oct 17, 2016

Best of the bunch so far. I wish the others went deeper into the concepts explored here. You immediately apply what you learn to your own ideas and produce something/a game.

By sean o

Jun 25, 2017

Excellent course. I learned a lot about the fundamentals of game design. The assignments were fun and helpful. The material was presented in an engaging way.

By Mathew J

Jan 23, 2016

I really liked this course.The lecture was really interesting and its the first time i felt like the

assignments was fun.

By 叶成荫

Feb 26, 2017

good tutorial helps me understand some basic game design rules. The feedback system is pretty good as well.

By 马海洋

Jan 18, 2016

Interesting!!!

This course used many simple examples to explain the idea that's more complicate, fun to learn.

By Anas s

Nov 18, 2015

Awesome course, Great instructor, And Fun assignments.

By Ashley K

Jan 19, 2017

Content is great, the exercises are thought provoking, and I actually made a pretty decent game at the end. The only shame is that enrollment was very, very low when I took it. I hope that the next time the course is offered Coursera/CalArts advertises it more, share it more on social media, and really garner interest in it. It's a good course and many people would be interested in it if they knew it existed.

By Thulio I

Jan 04, 2016

Well done. I learned a lot with this. Simple and complex at same time :)

By Thomas D

Oct 09, 2015

Good course, gets you thinking about the important things in Games - why we play them in the first place. Great teacher - mad as a hat! Kept things jovial and fun with good explanations in a professional course

By Yu X