Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN

Apr 13, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG

Feb 13, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

126 - 150 of 475 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Tomer K

Oct 01, 2016

This course made me believe that I can really make interesting playable games.

The instructor was very funny and to the point.

By Ana G V F

May 06, 2020

A great course that lets you get the basics of game design and development! I really learned a lot and I really enjoyed it!

By Mathew J

Jan 23, 2016

I really liked this course.The lecture was really interesting and its the first time i felt like the

assignments was fun.

By Maria C

Nov 03, 2015

I love the way Fran managed to fulfill his lections with a theory. It was very simple and very informative at the same time

Sep 16, 2015

Fran is a great teacher and he blends fun teaching and jokes with genuinely interesting and helpful game design techniques.

By Andres R

This course was fun & was simple to learn. The instructor is very informative while making the content enjoyable to watch.

By Emily V R

Aug 06, 2017

Fran is one of the best teachers I've ever had! Thanks for making this a fun and easy to understand introductory course!

By yanggan

May 10, 2017

Excellent course. Basic and interesting

中国谚语:『万丈高楼平地起』(As the Chinese words: every skyscraper is built from the ground)

By Christopher G

Feb 12, 2019

You learn the basic concepts of game designing with interactive and funny week assessments, very useful and enjoyable!

By Nuno F A C

Sep 03, 2017

Very good course, explaining the basics and going deep on some stuff. Understood everything and learned a lot. Thanks!

By Mikel D B

Apr 05, 2016

So far this course has been great, the lecturer is awesome and the videos are short enough to make you stay focused.

By Rodrigo G d C

Dec 24, 2015

Great content, nice way to get a basic notion of what it takes to creat a game, nice classes and method of learning,

By Sonja M

Jul 03, 2017

This course was a really good introduction to the world of Game design and I really enjoyed the video lessons too!

By Yee I

Aug 22, 2016

It is a great start to understanding some of the basics of Game Design. And Fran's videos are always fun to watch.

By Brook

Jan 10, 2016

Captivating, clear, simple and informative. The professor does a phenomenal job introducing what makes a game fun.

Oct 19, 2015

The course is helpful as a game designer in trainee, the community is friendly, and the assignments are fun to do.

By 王浩宇

Nov 27, 2016

To learn your most favorite major is the best thing in the world, tanks for teach me what I most need in my life

By Alejandra " S

Jul 13, 2016

Amazing course! The teaches as well as the staff have managed to put together a fun and rich course. Well done!

By Sarah L

Nov 14, 2015

While it may seem basic to begin with, I found it a great course to lay the foundations for my own game design.

By 马海洋

Jan 18, 2016

Interesting!!!

This course used many simple examples to explain the idea that's more complicate, fun to learn.

By Liv

Mar 05, 2019

You can tell a lot of love was put into this course. Tons of fun. Really informative and entertaining videos!

By Marcin G

Oct 04, 2017

Clean, funny, entertaining, very educative. What do we need more? :-) Thank you Fran Krause for this course!

By 叶成荫

Feb 26, 2017

good tutorial helps me understand some basic game design rules. The feedback system is pretty good as well.

By Leo S

Oct 01, 2018

Surprisingly fun, and once the idea training got rolling on the game and theme is became pretty engaging.

By weigang z

Feb 01, 2017

Excellent course to establish basic concepts of game design. Assignments are very practical and helpful.