Back to Game Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Game Theory by Stanford University

Popularized by movies such as "A Beautiful Mind," game theory is the mathematical modeling of strategic interaction among rational (and irrational) agents. Beyond what we call `games' in common language, such as chess, poker, soccer, etc., it includes the modeling of conflict among nations, political campaigns, competition among firms, and trading behavior in markets such as the NYSE. How could you begin to model keyword auctions, and peer to peer file-sharing networks, without accounting for the incentives of the people using them? The course will provide the basics: representing games and strategies, the extensive form (which computer scientists call game trees), Bayesian games (modeling things like auctions), repeated and stochastic games, and more. We'll include a variety of examples including classic games and a few applications. You can find a full syllabus and description of the course here: http://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/GTOC-Syllabus.html There is also an advanced follow-up course to this one, for people already familiar with game theory: https://www.coursera.org/learn/gametheory2/ You can find an introductory video here: http://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/Intro_Networks.mp4...

WY
May 16, 2017

Great ! Interesting and abound at the same time. Hope Professors will clarify the strategic utility function more clearly because it's hard for students with poor math basic(forget most><) right now!

AS
Jan 26, 2019

Excellent course for beginners. Problem sets are very creative. No more further resources needed. I found this course specially useful if the purpose is to apply Game Theory in other disciplines.

51 - 75 of 765 Reviews for Game Theory

By Athreya J B

Jun 12, 2020

I took this course out of long-term interest to learn the concepts of Game Theory and study its applications to Economics. I am glad to say that the course successfully introduces and clarifies the basic concepts of the subject without much room for discontent. The lectures are clear, concise, and well-paced, and I would definitely recommend this course to anyone that is interested in the subject.

By Enrico P

May 21, 2018

Simple and intuitive, all important definitions and theorems (without prof) are given with an incredible set of examples in the lectures and the quiz. All the lecturer make an effort to be clear an let people to understand the underlying meaning. Quiz are in general simpler than the whole theoretical aspects discussed in the lectures, but nevertheless illustrative. I will surely go for the next!

By Aliaksandr

Jun 2, 2019

It was a really great intro into Game theory. Thanks a lot for your work. Sometimes I didn't have enough examples to understand the whole corner cases of theorems. But it pushed me to find that information in different sources which is also really good. So I don't know should you add more examples into your course or not). But in all cases thank you so much for you job. My best wishes.

By Pablo N

Jul 31, 2017

I really liked this course. It has encouraged me to go deeper into some very interesting topics covered here. Instructors are very clear and the examples are very well chosen. I totally recommend this course. Even if you do not want to go deep into detail, this course gives you an overview of the main Game Theory topics and also guides you in researching more profound explanations.

By Koa Y

Nov 8, 2018

It was a great introduction course for me as a 15 year old student. As I personally don't excel at symbols used in calculus I needed to work on that as I went through but I had a really fun time. Personally I would of liked the explanation of the formally written equations, but it probably was a problem that only I had as I am skipping a few steps of calculus. My Kindest Regards.

By stive

Dec 27, 2017

This course is hard but I like it, it was so interesting and this helped me deeper understand complected systems like - Why and how create such system like OpenBazar and P2P systems, there nothing about it in this course but it helped me to reason about potential behaviour of pears. This course provides me with new useful framework reasoning. maybe I would take the next part.

By RAMAKRISHNAN

Jun 8, 2020

Various mathematical notations are used across the course, to explain the Utility , Probability for Various sets / sub-sets.

It would have been useful, if only an hour was dedicated at the beginning of the course to explain how these notations are to be read.

This would have been helpful for those who are not either well versant with Mathematical notations or had to re-fresh

By Jie H

Apr 13, 2019

It's an excellent introduction to game theory with a good balance of theory and practice. Sometimes the notations can be confusing and the formulas daunting, but I think it shouldn't be a problem for serious learners as there're plenty of real-life examples to aid the understanding process. I'm truly grateful to the professors for bringing this course online for free.

By Tobin H

Apr 4, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed the course, and I learnt alot. My only caveat is that I am a historian, so I would benefit from more explanations of the mathematical logic behind some questions. It would be most helpful if all the correct answers and explanations are available, once I have passed the course, as there is no longer an incentive to take old quizzes.

By Pavel K S

Nov 9, 2018

I've found it extremely useful IRL, I really mean it: now I'm the best strategy table games player among my friends; girls, tremble before my mighty "The fastest arm in Moscow" dice.

Jokes off: I'm excited that such unexpectable at the first view thing as human game was shifted from the "Mystery box" to the shelf with solved puzzles and Rubick's cubes.

By Abi A

Jun 10, 2021

A fantastic course that helps you conceptualize the core concepts of games and decisions perfectly. Even for anyone who is looking to not delve deep into the derivations and mathematical notations of games, you can easily go through the course and understand the concepts through the logic which the professors explain fabulously.

By Lion F P d S

May 31, 2017

This game theory introduction is really good to understand the mathematical basis of the Theory. Also, there is a second course, to expand the knowledge taken from here. Once doing this, you can even put in your curriculum, because it is from a really respectful university. I will study this field in mathematics, in the future.

By Matea G

Jun 28, 2017

Very informative, the professors explain the material in a very thorough, yet understandable way. The best introductory material to Game Theory I've seen so far. The book recommended was very helpful towards gaining the maximum knowledge out of the course. I would suggest everyone read it while keeping up with the lectures.

By M. C O

Jun 4, 2020

The content of this course is wide-ranging, clear and well-structured; hence I would definitely recommend it to my colleagues.

I would rate the performances of all professors as excellent; they have definitely made me quite easy, a first approach to Game Theory.

Thanks to the Stanford and congratulations on this course

By Shubham M

Sep 27, 2019

The course is great for people wishing to venture into the world of strategic decision making and provides a base for the same. Although the course is a bit mathematical, the ideas are fairly intuitive. I would recommend supplementing the course with Ben Polak's Yale open course as well as Martin J Osborne's textbook.

By Ning L

Sep 23, 2016

Great course for introduction. Actually, the course itself does NOT tell detail enough for fully understanding of Game Theory. Extra studies are needed, such as the reference book, the article mentioned in the first week and also Wikipedia.org. But the lecture is good enough for us to know what we should search for:)

By Albert W

Jan 26, 2017

This course is very recommended for people who tries to understand more about strategies and how we should react to a problem. It explains many kinds of problem we usually encounter in real life. Most of them are simplified but still gives us insight about the theory in giving our best response to the problems

By See W N

Jul 26, 2021

t​his course established by stanford uni and british culumbia uni is a whole new challenge to me as a not math person🤣lecturer provide the crucial point and the essential of each lesson to us, surely we have to do the further research by our own.Thanks for bringing me a new domain of possibility .❤️😁

By Vlad S

Apr 10, 2020

Dear Sirs,

Honestly, it has been a pleasure working with you, even though we have not met in person. I truly feel like I have learnt a lot about game theory in a short amount of time. Very good structure, very good teaching and very good overall quality. I sincerely thank you for the experience!

By Chetna B

Oct 16, 2018

Through this course, I have gained conceptual clarity regarding game theory. Its practical applications highlighted with the help of numerous examples make this course all the more interesting. I am now in a position to apply this sort of thinking and logic to real-life strategic interactions.

By August A J

Dec 3, 2016

Beware, if you're not mathematically inclined, this course will be a struggle. It is a great course with very valuable theory and practice. If you haven't taken a statistics course or able to take account of every variable, take this and keep track of your notes, rewatch videos, and have fun.

By Rajeev R

May 31, 2018

This course serves as a good introduction to game theory. However I would have liked for the exercises to be more challenging, by making them all multiple choice the quiz was a very easy. It would be good if the exam would be something where you need to solve the questions with explanation.

By zbh2047

Mar 20, 2019

This course is great, but I have some suggestions: I think the content is a little bit easy and it doesn't go deep into game theory but only provides some basic concepts and also the questions are all simple calculations. Thus the name of the course should be introduction to game theory.

By Giovanni P B

Feb 4, 2017

Amazing course. Taking the same class at my university here in the U.S and this is way more in depth, better explained, and resourceful. I really like the concept of cooperation between universities as well to teach a class and provide students with the best professors in the subject.

By 김정민

Aug 9, 2019

It was very beneficial for me, one of Korean foreign languauge high school student. I used to listen to some videos such as game theory or strategy things. Now I find the best one I've ever heard. It was a bit hard for me but the professor explains them so nicely that I could underst