Back to Game Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Game Theory by Stanford University

Popularized by movies such as "A Beautiful Mind," game theory is the mathematical modeling of strategic interaction among rational (and irrational) agents. Beyond what we call `games' in common language, such as chess, poker, soccer, etc., it includes the modeling of conflict among nations, political campaigns, competition among firms, and trading behavior in markets such as the NYSE. How could you begin to model keyword auctions, and peer to peer file-sharing networks, without accounting for the incentives of the people using them? The course will provide the basics: representing games and strategies, the extensive form (which computer scientists call game trees), Bayesian games (modeling things like auctions), repeated and stochastic games, and more. We'll include a variety of examples including classic games and a few applications. You can find a full syllabus and description of the course here: http://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/GTOC-Syllabus.html There is also an advanced follow-up course to this one, for people already familiar with game theory: https://www.coursera.org/learn/gametheory2/ You can find an introductory video here: http://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/Intro_Networks.mp4...

WY

May 17, 2017

Great ! Interesting and abound at the same time. Hope Professors will clarify the strategic utility function more clearly because it's hard for students with poor math basic(forget most><) right now!

AJ

Apr 24, 2020

This is a really helpful course which provides me with a basic understanding of game theory, its applications and ways to solve certain games. Huge thanks to the professors who made these recordings.

51 - 75 of 643 Reviews for Game Theory

By Albert W

Jan 26, 2017

This course is very recommended for people who tries to understand more about strategies and how we should react to a problem. It explains many kinds of problem we usually encounter in real life. Most of them are simplified but still gives us insight about the theory in giving our best response to the problems

By Vlad S

Apr 10, 2020

Dear Sirs,

Honestly, it has been a pleasure working with you, even though we have not met in person. I truly feel like I have learnt a lot about game theory in a short amount of time. Very good structure, very good teaching and very good overall quality. I sincerely thank you for the experience!

By Chetna B

Oct 16, 2018

Through this course, I have gained conceptual clarity regarding game theory. Its practical applications highlighted with the help of numerous examples make this course all the more interesting. I am now in a position to apply this sort of thinking and logic to real-life strategic interactions.

By August A J

Dec 04, 2016

Beware, if you're not mathematically inclined, this course will be a struggle. It is a great course with very valuable theory and practice. If you haven't taken a statistics course or able to take account of every variable, take this and keep track of your notes, rewatch videos, and have fun.

By Rajeev R

May 31, 2018

This course serves as a good introduction to game theory. However I would have liked for the exercises to be more challenging, by making them all multiple choice the quiz was a very easy. It would be good if the exam would be something where you need to solve the questions with explanation.

By zbh2047

Mar 20, 2019

This course is great, but I have some suggestions: I think the content is a little bit easy and it doesn't go deep into game theory but only provides some basic concepts and also the questions are all simple calculations. Thus the name of the course should be introduction to game theory.

By Giovanni P B

Feb 04, 2017

Amazing course. Taking the same class at my university here in the U.S and this is way more in depth, better explained, and resourceful. I really like the concept of cooperation between universities as well to teach a class and provide students with the best professors in the subject.

By 김정민

Aug 09, 2019

It was very beneficial for me, one of Korean foreign languauge high school student. I used to listen to some videos such as game theory or strategy things. Now I find the best one I've ever heard. It was a bit hard for me but the professor explains them so nicely that I could underst

By Vipul V

May 14, 2020

It was an amazing course. I wanted to learn game theory since my undergrad but it was not offered in my college. I am glad that I could learn this beautiful subject from experts belonging to prestigious universities like Stanford University and The University of British Columbia.

By Anastasiya P

Dec 04, 2017

I am very grateful for this course and its positive influence on my learning. The only thing I'd add to the comments about the course is the list of maths skills necessary to read and understand all the formulae mentioned in the videos. Thank you for your work and commitment!

By MUHAMAD B P

Sep 01, 2020

it's such a wonderful learning trough coursera. I met a lot of problems that have not been faced. time alocation per sub-chapter guesed ideal, not too much, not too short. lastly, thank you for sir mathew, robinson and colegue for knowledge i can applicant for my society.

By minhngoc031097

Jan 18, 2017

The course is fun and practical. Never before had I imagined such invisible strategic interactions can be possible to illustrate by the measuring of payoffs. Lots of nice tools and realistic examples though some definition formulas seem to be somehow intricate to me.

By Bhagyashri T

Apr 30, 2017

I particularly loved how the course was taught so conceptually. There were no strict methods or formulae to mug up and follow. The homework questions were very stimulating. I found the depth reached in addressing the concepts just perfect for an introductory course.

By Francisco P

Apr 24, 2017

Un curso increíble: cumple lo que promete y el alumno obtiene una muestra de cómo abordar tópicos, no enteramente triviales, con una perspectiva pragmatista y con los pies en la tierra. Las demostraciones se han mantenido en un estricto mínimo. Recomendabilísimo.

By Andreana R

Jul 11, 2017

Excellent introduction to Game Theory! I've been meaning to learn a little bit of game theory for years, and this was the perfect opportunity to do so. Lectures were well presented and easy to follow, and the quizzes were mildly challenging. Thank you!

By Giulio P

Apr 28, 2020

very interesting course, great explainations and relatively easy quizzes.

only problem I found was a minor bug in the week 7 quiz, and I already signaled it.

thanks for making this awesome course available to everyone! best regards from Bologna, IT :)

By Irina G

Nov 08, 2017

A very interesting introduction to Game Theory. It is suitable for people without specific knowledge in the field and contains many examples for the better understanding of the theoretical parts. Can't wait to start the second part of the course!

Aug 27, 2019

This course was informative and well structured. The lecturers know exactly how best to relate the course material for the student to understand. Sufficient practical exercises was available for better understanding of how a specific theory works.

By ACHINT S

Mar 22, 2018

I loved the course, even though I did it as a MBA student with a backdrop of Engineering. The challenge was getting back to the Math which I was able to with the help of the faculties. The game and simulation was an engaging aspect of the course.

By Laurent G

Apr 26, 2019

I found this course excellent, just the right combination of theoretical and practical approaches. I have gained an intuitive understanding of games, but also enough background that I can read some advanced papers using game theory in economics.

By Siddhartha G

Feb 17, 2019

This course helped in broadening my thinking. I am getting better at decision making and problem solving skills in general. The credit goes to this course. The faculty teaches you from very basic level and they are there for help at very step.

By Prakhar S

Sep 27, 2017

This is one of the most amazing course which provides you insights on how the world and the people in it collectively or independently make decisions. The quizzes are tough, so be prepared to go through the lectures multiple times in a row.

By Paul F G

Jan 31, 2018

A series of non-trivial ideas taught in a very straightforward and no-nonsense way. Good examples and good "splitting up" of the teaching amongst the three educators. All of these professors obviously now what they are doing. Great job!

By Gabriel I H

Amazing. Also, in the beginning, I was unsure weather to do this course or the advanced course, so if you have the same doubt, I highly recommend you start with this one. It is very deep and covers a lot of topics in an extensive way.

By krishna m

Sep 08, 2018

Very Interesting course bringing out multiple concepts. Some of the topics are a little difficult to comprehend, at first but the explanations provided make it clear, once I reviewed the material a second or a third time.

Thank you.