Back to Game Theory

Game Theory, Stanford University

About this Course

Popularized by movies such as "A Beautiful Mind," game theory is the mathematical modeling of strategic interaction among rational (and irrational) agents. Beyond what we call `games' in common language, such as chess, poker, soccer, etc., it includes the modeling of conflict among nations, political campaigns, competition among firms, and trading behavior in markets such as the NYSE. How could you begin to model keyword auctions, and peer to peer file-sharing networks, without accounting for the incentives of the people using them? The course will provide the basics: representing games and strategies, the extensive form (which computer scientists call game trees), Bayesian games (modeling things like auctions), repeated and stochastic games, and more. We'll include a variety of examples including classic games and a few applications. You can find a full syllabus and description of the course here: http://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/GTOC-Syllabus.html There is also an advanced follow-up course to this one, for people already familiar with game theory: https://www.coursera.org/learn/gametheory2/ You can find an introductory video here: http://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/Intro_Networks.mp4...

By WY

May 17, 2017

Great ! Interesting and abound at the same time. Hope Professors will clarify the strategic utility function more clearly because it's hard for students with poor math basic(forget most><) right now!

By AS

Jan 27, 2019

Excellent course for beginners. Problem sets are very creative. No more further resources needed. I found this course specially useful if the purpose is to apply Game Theory in other disciplines.

409 Reviews

By Mridul Joshi

May 19, 2019

wonderful course

By Kunal Jadhav

May 18, 2019

Got to learn interesting things in the course. loved it!

By Sharan

May 11, 2019

Great Course!!!

By Rishabh Mathur

May 10, 2019

The course syllabus and contents are tough but great. There are 3 teachers who teach us and that makes it a little difficult to follow though. Also, one of the instructors totally goes off topic and too deep into mathematics without giving much clarity.

By Pavlo Liasota

May 08, 2019

I have taken Game Theory Course before at my university. This course covers everything I have been taught and a little more. I can confirm that it is great as a refreshment.

The math notation is quite confusing, but thankfully the instructors take their time and explain them right away.

Overall this course is quite useful and understandable. Big thanks to the instructors and Coursera for sharing this with us, students all across the Globe!

By Siva Kesava Rao Parikala

May 06, 2019

Its a great learning experience. I like this course very much.

By SHRESTHA KUMAR

Apr 30, 2019

Great Course of Game Theory

By Laurent Gauthier

Apr 26, 2019

I found this course excellent, just the right combination of theoretical and practical approaches. I have gained an intuitive understanding of games, but also enough background that I can read some advanced papers using game theory in economics.

By Ya-Che Li

Apr 23, 2019

Very concise and professional course.

It helps me a lot for understanding Game theory.

I believe it will support me to pass my exam at Warwick university.

By Ashish Gupta

Apr 23, 2019

Awesome teachers, great content.