Back to Game Theory

Game Theory, Stanford University

About this Course

Popularized by movies such as "A Beautiful Mind," game theory is the mathematical modeling of strategic interaction among rational (and irrational) agents. Beyond what we call `games' in common language, such as chess, poker, soccer, etc., it includes the modeling of conflict among nations, political campaigns, competition among firms, and trading behavior in markets such as the NYSE. How could you begin to model keyword auctions, and peer to peer file-sharing networks, without accounting for the incentives of the people using them? The course will provide the basics: representing games and strategies, the extensive form (which computer scientists call game trees), Bayesian games (modeling things like auctions), repeated and stochastic games, and more. We'll include a variety of examples including classic games and a few applications. You can find a full syllabus and description of the course here: http://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/GTOC-Syllabus.html There is also an advanced follow-up course to this one, for people already familiar with game theory: https://www.coursera.org/learn/gametheory2/ You can find an introductory video here: http://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/Intro_Networks.mp4...

By WY

May 17, 2017

Great ! Interesting and abound at the same time. Hope Professors will clarify the strategic utility function more clearly because it's hard for students with poor math basic(forget most><) right now!

By AS

Jan 27, 2019

Excellent course for beginners. Problem sets are very creative. No more further resources needed. I found this course specially useful if the purpose is to apply Game Theory in other disciplines.

390 Reviews

By Eric Andrés Jardón Chao

Mar 20, 2019

Took this course while on freshman year, very good video lectures and explanations, I find it is a very complete introductory course and challenging in a good way.

By zbh2047

Mar 20, 2019

This course is great, but I have some suggestions: I think the content is a little bit easy and it doesn't go deep into game theory but only provides some basic concepts and also the questions are all simple calculations. Thus the name of the course should be introduction to game theory.

By Anuj Agarwal

It was very helpful

By Jesse Ofner

Mar 20, 2019

This was a very challenging class. I think I learned more about what I don't know than anything. However, I certainly expanded my my understanding of the scope of game theory as well as the different applications as well as what type of approach to look at depending on the game being played. The class lead me to a very good read, The Art of Strategy, which provided very accessible explanations of games, actors and how to think about actors their action sets, potential outcomes as ways to predict behavior and thus how to modify your own behavior in any situation.

By Pranav Narayan

Mar 19, 2019

Great Course with in depth cover of game theory

By MOHAMMAD ABDULLAH AL FAISAL

Mar 17, 2019

It was a difficult course with a lot of notations but the conductors are really articulate. So it becomes easy

By YINGUANG ZHAO

Mar 16, 2019

Some lecturers just read through their ppts. Overall, it is an insightful intro course. Only simple math skills are used.

By Kashif Inayat

Mar 12, 2019

Content is perfect, just examples should be in different way, like some visualization.

By Ionut MIhai Chelalau

Mar 04, 2019

Great course, good examples and easy to understand examples.

By Pooja Ichplani

Feb 27, 2019

It is a very interesting course. I never learned the concept earlier in college, as I come from communications background. The professors teach in an interactive way; this makes it easy for amateurs such as myself to pick up easily. But I do hope that in the coming weeks, the instructors also throw some light on its application in the field of social sciences in addition to mathematics part of it.