Back to GIS Data Formats, Design and Quality

Learner Reviews & Feedback for GIS Data Formats, Design and Quality by University of California, Davis

In this course, the second in the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization, you will go in-depth with common data types (such as raster and vector data), structures, quality and storage during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn about data models and formats, including a full understanding of vector data and raster concepts. You will also learn about the implications of a data’s scale and how to load layers from web services. Week 2: Create a vector data model by using vector attribute tables, writing query strings, defining queries, and adding and calculating fields. You'll also learn how to create new data through the process of digitizing and you'll use the built-in Editor tools in ArcGIS. Week 3: Learn about common data storage mechanisms within GIS, including geodatabases and shapefiles. Learn how to choose between them for your projects and how to optimize them for speed and size. You'll also work with rasters for the first time, using digital elevation models and creating slope and distance analysis products. Week 4: Explore datasets and assess them for quality and uncertainty. You will also learn how to bring your maps and data to the Internet and create web maps quickly with ArcGIS Online. Take GIS Data Formats, Design and Quality as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. You should have equivalent experience to completing the first course in this specialization, Fundamentals of GIS, before taking this course. By completing the second class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program....

LT
Dec 25, 2018

Great course. Quite challenging, huge amount of info shared and employed in the assignments. This makes the course very thorough yet as mentioned, challenging to complete. Not for the faint at heart!

Apr 30, 2016

Awesome..... The lectures are very helpful to the students or gis learners who wants to do some on-line, especially the final project was awesome... i really enjoyed and learned much more things...

326 - 350 of 382 Reviews for GIS Data Formats, Design and Quality

Mar 15, 2019

Great

By عماد ع

Sep 29, 2019

good

By Rodrigo p

Jun 29, 2020

Sep 14, 2016

G

By Simon D

Apr 16, 2018

The course is very good, but I did find that I had problems with some subjects that were not covered well enough to be able to work out the outcome required. I push myself hard anyway, so pretty happy to get through when I know I could have done better. Thanks again Nick, I will start the 3rd course, once I am happy my computer has all the components I need for ArcGIS to run without wanting files from my other computer. Have a great day.

By Cornelis A G

Jul 14, 2020

The course is interesting, especially the part explaining several of the workflows with rasters. There is so much you can extract from a Digital Elevation Model. The part dealing with SQL and queries could be improved upon. I for one, would like to learn a bit more of the basics of the models underlying this part of ArcMap. At lerast give some pointers to a book or a course that deals with the basics of these programming languages.

By Aarthi P

Sep 3, 2019

Great course! Compared to the first course of this GIS specialization (Fundamentals of GIS), this 2nd course has a few minor gaps in the lecture notes/videos. However, some exploration and practice, as well as other readings do help with overall understanding and with completing the assignments successfully.

Thanks very much!

By Meg N

Jul 19, 2020

I learned a lot in this course. The only thing that I could say needs improving is to give answers to the open-ended questions posed in the tutorials. I really wanted to know the answers. Overall, I think that I am way more knowledgeable about ArcGIS than I was before I began this course.

By Adam S

Aug 22, 2016

Peer Review system needs an overhaul. I would suggest increasing the number of reviews required by each student so you one incorrect (based on user error) review does not influence your grade so significantly.

Otherwise, this is an informative and useful course.

By Sean B

Dec 19, 2017

I would have given it 5 stars, but Tutorial Assignment 3 was written as though it was pulled from another course without editing, and contained references to file paths and names that didn't match the reality of the course and required some deduction to sort out.

By Timothy R A S

Apr 19, 2021

A lot of good new material. One comment would be to adjust the file name for the directory in the Valmeyer Assignment data given to us, so it does not have the .gdb as part of the directory name. That creates problems deep into the assignment.

By Mathew M

Aug 8, 2017

Content is excellent. It does go by very fast and a lot of key elements of tools are glossed over... so you need to watch many of the lessons more than once in order to complete the final project unless you have done this work before.

By Lauren J

Feb 21, 2021

Great content. Tutorials are well designed and allowed me to practice the theory in preparation for the graded assignment. Thank you to the team for a well-put-together course and delivered in an easy-to-understand manner.

By Andrew R

Dec 30, 2017

I understand that all the information presented here is valuable but the subject matter was a little more dry than the first course in the specialisation. Nonetheless, it was very well put together and I learned a lot.

By Sarah V

Sep 12, 2018

Great information and weekly assignments/lectures. The final project, at times, was very difficult and I did not receive much mentor help. It was still a doable assignment and was able to pass.

By Alex G

Jun 18, 2018

This course was more difficult than I expected, but provided good video lectures and plenty of examples to help me better understand some of the many things that can be done with GIS.

By Holly S

Jan 26, 2017

I didn't love the final project for this. It took a lot of time due to some software glitches. Seems like that is unnecessary and should be better managed in the future.