Back to Fundamentals of GIS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of GIS by University of California, Davis

Explore the world of spatial analysis and cartography with geographic information systems (GIS). In this class you will learn the basics of the industry’s leading software tool, ArcGIS, during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn how GIS grew from paper maps to the globally integrated electronic software packages of today. You will install ArcGIS on your computer and learn how to use online help to answer technical questions. Week 2: Open up ArcGIS and explore data using ArcMap. Learn the foundational concepts of GIS, how to analyze data, and make your first map. Week 3: Make your own maps! Symbolize data and create an eye-catching final product. Week 4: Share your data and maps and learn to store and organize your data. Take Fundamentals of GIS as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. By completing the first class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program. Students who need an ArcGIS license will receive a non-commercial, 1 year student license for participation in this course and specialization....

VM

Oct 05, 2020

I finished the course, I do not know why it indicates to me as if I had not finished\n\nI would like answer, please. My email: vic_vmrm@hotmail.com\n\nWhy don't answer me?\n\nRegards\n\nVictor Ramon

BJ

Dec 28, 2018

the content is awesome. i would recommend it to those who need to have some basic knowledge of GIS. it's very easy to learn the ArcGIS because of the instructions and demos given by the instructor.

276 - 300 of 1,212 Reviews for Fundamentals of GIS

By AMAN B

May 03, 2020

The most fundamental yet comprehensive lectures on GIS you'd not get anywhere else. Additionally you get to practice what you learn which is rare to find. Highly recommended!

By Javier P C

Jun 07, 2017

Very appropriate course for those who are complete beginners on GIS. Explains the core concepts of the discipline and the basic use of ArcGIS, with academic license included.

By Caroline S

Feb 14, 2019

While I already had a basic understanding of GIS, I felt this course went through the material much quicker and provided multiple ways to reach an answer or solve a problem.

By bahareh k

Jan 30, 2018

I really appreciate for these courses which make us closer to our goal. I am really happy to take these courses and learned alot to be successful in my future career. Thanks

By Simon T

Jun 25, 2017

Awesome course. Nick Santos is a phenomenal instructor! Provides a lucid introduction to geographic information systems. I will take more courses in this specialization.

By Bibash G

Apr 27, 2020

It's really helpful and very informative course! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole course and this course is best for beginners! Thank you Nick Santos, UC DAVIS and Coursera!

By Anna-Charlotte L

Feb 15, 2019

Proivdes an in-depth introduction of how to create maps using ArcGIS, alternatives of the software and the background of mapping, for example what projections are and what

By Tomas B

Nov 24, 2018

Great course! Everything I needed for a successful start in ArcGIS. The step-by-step assignments were especially useful and well-adjusted to what the learner needs to see.

By Mlohammad F K

Mar 10, 2018

super easy and super fun I can not belive that I learned the basic of GIS so fast. the professor is smart he simplify everything . Also ESRI give you free access to ARCmap

By Andrés F P R

Mar 19, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. Very useful and easy to understand the instructor's speech. If you're new to GIS, this course is where you should start. Highly recommended!!

By Gidon W

Jun 24, 2020

Very accessible, well constructed course. The video lectures are easy to follow and the assignments are designed to give the student room to practice and learn even more.

By Sonia L A S

Mar 23, 2018

I love this course, and the way it is organized. I enjoy being taught by Nick Santos because it is evident his professionalism and knowledge. See you in the next course!!

By Bonnie R

Aug 22, 2017

This class is a life saver for anyone who wants to learn GIS but doesn't know where to start. The supplementary book is also really good for anyone who needs extra help.

By Josh E

Oct 10, 2019

Great intro course, taught me a lot, and was presented in a way that allowed me to gain a lot of knowledge. Looking forward to completing the rest of the specialization.

By David K

Sep 27, 2018

Great introduction to GIS! Even though I already most of the essential basics, I learned something new. The introduction music for each vidoa is a bit annoying though...

By Bandekar A

Aug 25, 2020

Best to course to begin from basics and learn fundamental. Anticipates difficulties and solutions are provided beforehand. Graded assignment is great for self learning.

By AMAL S

Oct 05, 2020

Awesome course for knowing the basics of GIS. The instructor Nick Santos knows how to effectively teach a beginner. Thank You Coursera, UC Davis, ESRI and Nick Santos

By ARTURO L G N

Apr 10, 2020

Professor Santos is an incredible instructor. I'm not new on GIS, but in this course, although basic, I learned interesting tools and procedures. Highly recommended.

By Mahmoud A J

Oct 20, 2019

This kind of Crosses token lats of professional ideas to simplify the info are very good. i would recommend it to those who need to have some basic knowledge of GIS.

By Muhammad S B

Jun 23, 2018

I find this course very useful. You can too much about GIS from this Fundamental Course on GIS. It focus on learning by doing practice, not just only on read theory.

By Pablo M

Aug 27, 2017

Excellent introductory level lessons, clear explanations, excercises and rhythm of lectures. Ideal path for new learners.

Nick is really enthusiastic about his field

By Jasper R

Apr 04, 2016

This course (and the rest of the GIS specializations) is an excellent introduction to GIS! The teacher is great and the materials that are covered are very relevant.

By Roberto V

Oct 22, 2020

Very good overview for understanding GIS, using geographic data and making basic maps. Nick is an excellent instructor and provides great step by step explanations.

By Kokila P R

Thank you so much sir for clearly explaining all the contents in the lecture...i have gone through many lectures but the way you have taken the classes is THE BEST.

By Pranav B

Jun 19, 2019

Fantastic instructor. Wholesome content, assignments are very specific with ample screenshots. Everything is explained clearly and excellent resources are provided.