Back to Fundamentals of GIS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of GIS by University of California, Davis

Explore the world of spatial analysis and cartography with geographic information systems (GIS). In this class you will learn the basics of the industry’s leading software tool, ArcGIS, during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn how GIS grew from paper maps to the globally integrated electronic software packages of today. You will install ArcGIS on your computer and learn how to use online help to answer technical questions. Week 2: Open up ArcGIS and explore data using ArcMap. Learn the foundational concepts of GIS, how to analyze data, and make your first map. Week 3: Make your own maps! Symbolize data and create an eye-catching final product. Week 4: Share your data and maps and learn to store and organize your data. Take Fundamentals of GIS as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. By completing the first class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program. Students who need an ArcGIS license will receive a non-commercial, 1 year student license for participation in this course and specialization....

VM
Oct 4, 2020

I finished the course, I do not know why it indicates to me as if I had not finished\n\nI would like answer, please. My email: vic_vmrm@hotmail.com\n\nWhy don't answer me?\n\nRegards\n\nVictor Ramon

BJ
Dec 27, 2018

the content is awesome. i would recommend it to those who need to have some basic knowledge of GIS. it's very easy to learn the ArcGIS because of the instructions and demos given by the instructor.

351 - 375 of 1,238 Reviews for Fundamentals of GIS

By jin c

Nov 14, 2018

Easy to learn and follow. Fun to learn all the different tools you can use to geoprocess all kinds of interesting information to build maps.

By Hamima H

May 14, 2020

The course is really well designed.Now i have the al basic knowledge about GIS. Thank You UC DAVis coursera team for the amazing experince.

By Joshua A

Apr 7, 2020

A solid introduction to GIS taught at a relaxed pace!

I'm looking forward to learning more about this field through the rest of this series.

By Enzo F

Feb 3, 2020

Nick Santos is an excellent teacher. He provides concise and clear concepts and helps to develop skills on our own, with a correct guidance

By Aditya S

Jan 4, 2018

Very well structured course for Beginners at GIS. This is a perfect start and a perfect spring board for other more advanced courses in GIS

By Eliav A

Sep 20, 2019

Before taking this course I never had any knowledge about GIS and this course tought me alot, very intresting, well explained. I recommend

By Kylie M

Jul 4, 2018

Great Course, Relatively easy to understand and follow. I love the way the labs are structured. I plan to continue with the other courses.

By Apoorva K

Feb 14, 2018

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INTERESTED IN GIS AND COURSERA PROVIDED A GREAT PLATFORM TO MAKE IT MORE INTERESTING AND LETTING ME GAIN PROFICIENCY...

By Shabuj C G

Nov 28, 2020

It was a great journey as a beginner of GIS learner. I learned a lot and hope that I will be complete related courses from this platform.

By Ali A

Sep 6, 2020

الجلسة الجميلة جداً ومفيدة جدًا ، شكرًا جزيلًا ، لكن إذا كانت ترجمة مقاطع الفيديو الخاصة بالكورس تدعم اللغة العربية كان سيوصبح افضل بكثير

By Rodolfo M d O

Aug 10, 2020

Excelente curso. Direto ao assunto. Aprendi as funções e ferramentas básicas para análises espaciais e apliquei no trabalho de conclusão.

By Aneirin W

Aug 6, 2020

Very good introduction to GIS (using ArcGIS) - covers a wide range of the basics and gives you the confidence to move on to other courses

By Camilo C

Oct 24, 2016

Very good course to start with ArcGIS basics and to understand a bit about the basic theory aspects under Geographic Information Systems.

By Biplab G

Mar 5, 2020

Very good and elaborative approach. Trainer is very good and course is very well prepared. Efforts put by trainer areHighly Appreciated

By mnavidad

Jan 29, 2017

I really enyoed this course, Nick Santos is a great professor, the work was challenging and yet relatively easy to learn, given that the

By Mbolatiana R

Aug 3, 2016

Thank you to keep me committed to GIS. I started four weeks ago from scratch but now I feel confident with GIS and want to learn more.

By Wesley B

Mar 4, 2018

Great introduction to GIS. Exactly what I was looking for, including some hands on experience that helped me realize how little I know.

By Birhane W R

Nov 14, 2017

It is a wonderful course. As a beginner in the field I am satisfied with the level of knowledge I got through this introduction course.

By Kara F

Oct 17, 2017

Useful course explaining the basics of GIS data and how to perform simple geoprocessing and cartography tasks using ArcGIS for Desktop.

By Laura F A S

Apr 24, 2020

It is a great course. I liked it so much because I really learned about the basic things of GIS. Nick Santos is a really good teacher.

By Shehzeb A

May 6, 2018

It included detailed easy to understand instructions a lot of good practice material and an active link to the GIS-Coursera community.

By Lina Z

Jan 10, 2018

Well organized, manageable course. I had lots of fun learning about GIS and making maps! I'm now considering doing the specialization!

By Jesus A G

Jun 18, 2020

This course is simple and easy to understand. I really hope that the next course is as simple as this course to understand and learn.

By Patrick M

Jun 4, 2020

A good starting point which build to technical complexity quickly but without being overwhelming. ArcGIS access is also very helpful.

By Jamie S

Sep 10, 2018

Great intro to GIS with well structured instruction, demos and practice assignments of foundational concepts. Nick does a great job!