Back to Global Diplomacy – Diplomacy in the Modern World

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Global Diplomacy – Diplomacy in the Modern World by University of London

The Global Diplomacy course is a unique offering to the MOOC environment. Bringing together cutting edge research in the broad fields of Diplomatic and International Studies, award winning distance learning delivery and the instructors previous experience of delivering a successful MOOC. Please see the volume Global Diplomacy: Theories, Types and Models authored with Dr Alison Holmes, (Westview, 2016), and the Understanding Research Methods MOOC from Coursera. The Global Diplomacy MOOC has a direct heritage in the University of London International Academy/SOAS Global Diplomacy MA Programme launched in April 2013 which have attracted hundreds of students from around the world. The Global Diplomacy MA Programme is provided by the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy which has been teaching postgraduate courses in Diplomacy for over twenty five years. After completing the 'Global Diplomacy' MOOC, learners will have: 1. The ability to demonstrate a critical understanding of the nature and development of global diplomacy, drawing on a variety of relevant contributing disciplines in the broad field of International Studies. 2. An understanding of changes in diplomatic practices and procedures and the relationship of those changes to contemporary politics. 3. A sound grounding in both theoretical and empirical approaches to debates in diplomacy so that students have been exposed to the and skills needed to analyse global diplomacy. 4. knowledge of issues in global diplomacy in historical and contemporary contexts....

TR
May 1, 2020

Absolutely incredible course in diplomacy that gives you a perfect glimpse of understanding how diplomacy works in practice and what achievements you need to posses in order to become a good diplomat.

MS
Oct 31, 2019

26 - 50 of 993 Reviews for Global Diplomacy – Diplomacy in the Modern World

By hbk

Apr 29, 2020

so easy and the peer assisment is a bad idea people are beging for review.

By Omar J G B

Aug 23, 2018

Excellent and perfectly structured Course !!

Provides plenty of both audiovisual and written substantial information along with dogmatic and professional sources of knowledge and wisdom on the field of Diplomacy and its evolution through History.

Instructed by experienced and qualified professionals, this Course is the best source for those willing to learn the most important and basic concepts required to be instructed on the discipline of Global Diplomacy.

By SANGAM V V S B 1

Jun 20, 2020

This is the ideal course for anyone who wants a peek into what diplomacy actually is. After this course, I learnt that diplomacy is required in everyone's life, in each of our day to day activities.

By Jorge I R

Jul 29, 2019

Wonderful opportunity to educate with real classes, and open the eyes for a better future, thanks.

By PROF. L

Nov 25, 2018

Very informative and approachable. What a great move?

By Gaïa V

Jul 21, 2020

This course is great. It is only an introduction to diplomacy and only teaches the basics, so if you already know about what is diplomacy, when it is effective, why it is successful, then I would advise not to take this course. The content is interesting : the course is made by short videos, which are interviews, and lectures, which are sometimes quite long but definitely worth the reading. This course presents you loads of different opinions and you don't have an imposed one, so you have to create your own understanding and opinion. To summarize, this course is a great introduction to diplomacy and is easy to understand, thanks to the diversity of stories, thoughts and examples.

By Hans-Christoph S

Jul 16, 2020

- The course provides barely any content. Every session consists of one or two short videos (approx. 5 minutes) and one extensive reading that I did not always find very relevant.

- The course is only about the most basic definitions of what diplomacy and a diplomat is. The course does not share any new insights that would be unknown to an average person or provide any interesting information about recent important diplomatic events

- I can definitely not recommend taking the course and especially paying a considerable amount of money for it.

- It is the second course I have taken with Coursera and it lets me seriously doubt the content that is provided by Coursera

By Jaime V

Jul 22, 2020

No se aprende mucho más de lo que ya sabemos o tenemos conocimiento. Bastante mediocre este curso y su sistema de entrevistas en vez de cátedra no sirve mucho.

By Anderson C

Dec 18, 2017

I've really enjoyed the course. I'm from Brazil and it's the second time I'm attending the same course. In the first time I've missed the opportunity to finish it but I'd love to share with you that it was very useful.

It's interesting sharing with you my personal experience. When I first attended the course I couldn't figure out how useful it could be, so I've just optimized my vacation time studying a little bit.

Few months later I've decided to create a huge innovation center here in Brazil and I've suddenly started using the knowledge I'd acquired in this course. So, I've decided to do it again.

You gave me the opportunity to learn something that would be impossible without the online option. I couldn't have stopped my life to attend a course in London at this time. That's why I'm so grateful related to your attitude to share your knowledge with me. Now I'm doing the same here in Brazil, with an innovation center that will help people challenge the status quo sharing knowledge and offering a great space to research, study and work. Sharing is caring and it's contagious.

Thank you so much!

Anderson Criativo

[<o>]

By Morocco M

Nov 28, 2020

Diplomacy is a method that we find in our daily life among individuals that you must have the ability and flexibility to resolve daily conflicts with the least costs and losses through the promotion of dialogue, not adhering to one opinion, listening to the other party, and using logic and reason instead of loud voices and violence that only results in an increase in rivalry and negotiation. Or bargaining between people to reach a peaceful solution or conclude a trade deal, which can be considered an application of diplomatic culture.Home, schools, universities, television programs, and seminars have a great role in teaching and teaching diplomatic culture, so that diplomacy becomes the distinguishing characteristic for our children to be diplomats in dealing with their daily local issues, and diplomacy also benefits them during their dealings with other peoples, and whoever does not possess diplomatic qualities in local issues, he must seek the help of a party A third diplomat to resolve conflict instead of violence,

By Subrata B

Aug 30, 2020

One of the best programme online I ever attended. I have learned new things. The platform Coursera is I think the best among others, because at every time I received messages about the progress of my course and always the administration in touch with me. The University of London -as I know for a long time one of the fountain heads of learning in the world-the professors are outstanding scholars and have enough empathy for the learning outcome of the students. All are wonderful. I would like to thank to all professors and the Course Coordinator Professor Dr J. Simon Rofe, SOAS, University of London for excellent coordination, leadership, management of such important programme at the height of its success. My sincere regards to you for what I have learnt this will add unique value to my career as a student of Political Science, International Relations and European Studies. I am grateful to you !

By Marvin S

Jun 14, 2021

I am please to have completed this course which gave me an incite into Diplomacy and its impact on the Modern World. The material was concise and it provided very good content that will help to foster my future participation in this realm. The real world examples, hearing from persons who would have held these positions of authority coupled with the reading material helped to boost my knowledge and appreciation of the works in this area. It also help me to better understand the arduous task of international relations and being able to represent one's government on the international stage. Another take away from this course was the realization that formally diplomacy speaks to the relations between states, however, diplomacy is also used in everyday life from as simple as negotiating a reduction in the price of an item at a store. All in all I enjoyed participating in this program.

By ABEGA F S P

Feb 15, 2021

Très bonne approche d'enseignement, vidéos très explicites, pas longues et facile à comprendre, technique d'évaluation originale. Pour un cours sensé conférer une connaissance globale de la diplomatie, nous donnons Cinq (5) bons points, parce qu' il s'agit d'une initiation qui permet d'avoir une compréhension complète de sa nature et de sa pratique dans le monde en général, et dans le monde moderne en particulier. Un cours qui constitue une bonne entame avant de se diriger vers une formation plus approfondie et spécialisée sans être troublé ou perdu. Mon prochain objectif avant de passer à une autre formation c'est d’acheter ce précieux certificat d'ici quelques jours. Merci

By Abdirahman i a

Apr 13, 2021

the course of Global Diplomacy was actually full of knowledge the course facilitators were diplomats, the videos and transcripts were well organized the resources also well contented, I have profoundly lucky enough to learn these international tool of Diplomacy its ways of success and failures and etiquette needed it is context where it is cordiality, ethics and institutional milieu, as well as knowing the weaknesses of others and yours too.

as Diplomacy is foriegn policy's instrumental process it always related negotiations and conflict resolution process as states always creat conflicts , international organizations want to stand up reconciliation

By Rossitza D

Jul 20, 2019

Best short course ever taken!

Initially I was annoyed because I had to evaluate my mates and let three randomly chosen evaluate my homework. Also provided materials weren't smart-friendly - you need to print them out for reading.

Couple of weeks later I realised there is no other way - reading-friendly documents are easy to manipulate and content could be modified by anyone and distributed with amendments. And no one would notice! Besides, if your classmates evaluate you as a diplomat, you don't need lecturer's confirmation.

Thank you, Dr J. Simon Rofe, for teaching me this lesson. Keep-up the good work and take care! :D

By Jose F S A

Mar 5, 2020

Taking this course was a very important choise. Diplomacy in a modern world is highly needed for all professionals because of the new challenges we are all facing in a new global business scenario. The Agenda 2030 and the SDG 17 highlights the need to strategically integrate and revitalize the "global partenership" for sustainable development. Thus, successful diplomacy is basically reaching some kind of agreement or deal within the governments´ international affairs framework and it is fundamental to understand your diplomatic role to push up the needed dialogue and actions to achieve that agreement.

By Allen R P

Jun 1, 2020

The course opened an opportunity for me to better understand diplomacy. The program has a number of strength that helped me developed a deeper understanding of what diplomacy is and how plays a critical role in the world today such as: (1) Simple yet understandable Audio Visual Presentations, (2) Relevant readings which gave a clear picture of the topics, and (3) Peer review is a very helpful tool, you get to learn new ideas from the perspective of others and you are being exposed to other valid interpretations. Then you realize that the world of diplomacy is a complex thing.

By Arch. J E F d l R

Mar 7, 2020

well,This diplomacy course is incredible, each of its exhibitors have well-founded knowledge, with this course I have learned to better manage my clients from my business, better manage situations of controversies between friends, it will also serve as a basis to be a diplomat for benefits of My country, combining it with 7 Masters in Business, will be a tremendous tool that will open barriers to the benefits of many sectors in need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to participate and benefit from this course

By Sixtus M B

Jun 27, 2019

It has been a short journey with great achievements. I have learnt a lot in the Global Diplomacy that I completely didn't know before. Thank you for the course and thank you for the lectures, guidance and I thank all my peer reviewers for reviewing my work and giving me their grades. It was worth taking it and I would strongly recommend others to take it. You will never regret on your time and money by taking this kind of course. Thank you University of London and Thank you Coursera for making this happen. My Kudos

By Isa P

Oct 22, 2020

I think this a great introductory course about diplomacy. I really enjoyed the way the course was structured and the videos provided. The readings were manageable and interesting. Reading the contributions of my fellow course mates and providing feedback, for me was also very great way to learn. One thing I was missing is the historical overview (at least some kind of introduction) of diplomacy. For me this would have been very interesting. However, the course provided me with a great input on diplomacy generally.

By Vicky C

Feb 10, 2021

Interesting. Requires commitment.

A number of videos to go through as well as reading material. Kept deviating from script and went into the various links plus did quite a bit of research on the topic.

If you are interested in life long learning and keen to understand the challenges of diplomacy this is a good introductory course.

Yes, as interesting as the topic was nothing can beat the feeling of accomplishment.

Plus amazing peer support, awesome team!!!

A course well worth your time. Thank you to the Coursea!!!

By maxamed a s

Mar 30, 2021

I learned in this course more about Global diplomacy such as: Diplomacy in action , the Quality of good diplomat, the difference between good and bad diplomacy, articles of Diplomacy

Conclusion of course what I learned from this course I can't summarize here what i learned I did not know before I started this course

I would like to thank the platform of coursera, the University of London and the professors who took part in this course and presented their expertise in diplomacy

from Somalia: MOHAMED AHMED SUFI

By Ho N

Aug 2, 2020

It was an incredibly perfect insight into the modern diplomacy in the world, which is happening in day-to-day life but I have never really to noticed. The materials provided in the course also helped me understand the basic nature of diplomacy & a job of a diplomat, and give me the clues to study the famous cases of diplomacy in the world of politics. This insight & knowledge will help me realize what I need to learn & practice to get a career in Internation Affairs. Thank you for this opportunity.

By VENI K

Jun 27, 2020

A relevant course for the current economic situation which really needs a global handshake among the leaders around the world to boost the post pandemic Covid-19 situations. The stigma of modernisation though is needed but the old school protocols still works better in foreign policy in order to understand a country's rituals and culture when a diplomat represent his or her country. Every political negotiations has its own pros and cons which works best for their own country an the end of the day.

By Maxim B

Mar 13, 2019

Excellent, well organized and very professional course on Modern Diplomacy. Happy to join, learned so many interesting things and structured my knowldge in he best way!

Maxim Behar