Back to Global Systemic Risk

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Global Systemic Risk by Princeton University

What is globalization and how does it work? How can we understand the process as a whole? How are the parts of the world linked? What are the risks of living in a world where “no one is in charge”? This course introduces students to systems thinking, network theory, and risk analysis and uses these tools to better understand the process of globalization. Focusing on trade, finance, and epidemiology, it analyzes potential challenges to the current global order. The course will be of interest to those studying global affairs, system dynamics, and world governance. It offers a set of heuristics that students can use to analyze contemporary global challenges. Linking the recording of Abbey Road to the COVID-19 pandemic provides new insights into the apparently chaotic world around us. Complex systems form the backbone of our increasingly interconnected and interdependent society. What were once more localized economies, supply chains, and social-ecological systems are now rapidly globalizing, and interacting with one another across countless spatial and temporal scales as technologies expand at ever greater velocities. These tightly coupled systems deliver greater efficiency and prosperity, but at the cost of greater fragility and the threat of catastrophic failure. This “global systemic risk” has implications in all functional domains affecting our daily lives—from the global financial system to healthcare, to critical infrastructure networks. Organized with 7-10 minute classes grouped together into longer modules, the course will have a linear “core” curriculum presented at the introductory level, with the potential for optional offshoots that give learners a more in-depth look into certain areas with more technical content....

JK
Oct 14, 2021

Very insightful course. As I designer a appreciate the reminder that not "everything is designed", sometimes there is no one in charge.

FT
Oct 15, 2021

Clear presentation. Comprehensive content. Thank you, Professor Miguel Centeno

1 - 8 of 8 Reviews for Global Systemic Risk

By Aedrian A

Oct 11, 2021

This audit-only/no-certificate course could never be more timely than right now, in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic. The comprehensibility of the material is improved substantially by a living, immersive example: the current global situation hitting all of us, in one way or another, in the face. At a certain point, we could no longer rely on reductionism – addressing a problem piece-by-piece and in a siloed manner – to satisfactorily address our collective woes, and this course allowed me to appreciate why this has been solidly the case perhaps even before I was born. The balance of efficiency and fragility, on one side, and redundancy and resilience/robustness, on the other, in terms of their pros and cons is long due for a reckoning. This offering should serve as a comprehensive introduction to systems thinking, complexity science, risk analysis, and the background-foreground forces and implications of globalization for those who have no advanced degrees or work experience in these disciplines. Furthermore, the end-of-module interviews each gave me at least one eye-opening thought, and I sometimes even wished that some discussions were longer. We must try our best to keep up, in theory and in practice, with the increasing intentional and inadvertent complexity of which modern life is dependent on.

By Michael C

Oct 23, 2021

Thank you Miguel. This is an excellent course. I found it informative and well taught. It was great to listen to so many experts in their fields talk about how globalization and systems affect our lives. It gave me a better understanding of what makes the world go around ( and sometimes not go around).

By Jurijs K

Oct 5, 2021

Parfait

By Joshua A

Oct 20, 2021

e​xcellent justice to the study of the concept of systemic risk...........

By evandro

Oct 27, 2021

for me this course was very interesting and enlightening.