Back to Grammar and Punctuation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Grammar and Punctuation by University of California, Irvine

Course 1: Grammar and Punctuation Do you need to review English grammar? Have you forgotten the grammar you once studied? If so, this course is perfect for you. The first course in this specialization is a refresher on some tools needed for good writing. It will help prepare you for the other courses. You will need about 10 hours to complete this first course. Writing is a skill and to learn a skill well, you need to practice. In this course, you will watch short video lectures and then practice and discuss what you have learned. Make sure you take good notes and use the peer discussions to ask questions. Then you'll be able to remember the rules you learn in this course when you start writing essays in the next course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - identify the correct verb tenses to use - use commas effectively - utilize several different sentence types - write more effectively in English Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

OI
Jul 2, 2020

This course was very helpful. It refreshed my memories and made me go back to so many things I thought I would never remember. It helped my writing skills a lot to. A big thank you to the instructors.

MH
Nov 5, 2020

The course was so fascinating and it deserves everybody's time and effort. I have really enjoyed it and will confidently recommend it to anyone who is looking for a course on grammar and punctuations.

126 - 150 of 5,139 Reviews for Grammar and Punctuation

By Li C

Dec 30, 2015

It is a great course! Personally, it has been very helpful to build a good foundation in English writing. Even though I took similar classes back in school, this course is the most effective one by far. I feel more confident to continue taking advanced writing course; moreover, writing seems less stressful.

By Shantanu S G

Jul 28, 2020

This is a really great course. It takes you, to dig a little bit more into the, English Grammar & Punctuation concepts, which many of us learned in the school level. The Quizzes are really interesting and require a lot of your focus & memory, thus they are lot of fun.

Great course,enjoyed it, thorough! :)

By Prejith S

Sep 22, 2020

That was an excellent course. Though I had learnt my grammar while in school, I had never learnt how to use it properly. I just went by the feel and made my sentences based on whether they sounded right or not. This course gave me insight on what was actually happening while writing a sentence. Thank you.

By Adrit H

May 12, 2020

To be honest, this was the very first course I have accomplished on Coursera.

This was simply amazing! I express my utter thankfulness to the Almighty, the instructors, my university and Coursera.

Give it a try, you won't regret. Have learnt several things which I was confused about.

Thank you very much.

By Marx J G

Apr 19, 2020

It is a great course. Highly recommended. I learned to differentiate verb tenses easily. Also, the lectures on sentence types and sentence variety were helpful. The parallel structure module was interesting and challenging. Finally, I loved the steps the professor suggested to start writing an essay.

By Sreejith E K

Feb 8, 2016

This course really boost my confidence. I am really thankful to my Professor Tamy Chapman for the wonderful lecture. The study materials and the lecture classes helps me to practice further. Once again thank you very much to my professor and the entire team behind the scene for this wonderful course.

By Mumtaz H

Nov 19, 2015

I feel this course has been specially designed for people like me who need to revive their knowledge of Grammar within little available time. Presentation of the course is concise and well-structured. Short quiz are taken at right time to reinforce the concepts. Discussions with peers are engaging.

By Gulla M N

Aug 13, 2020

This course is very helpful in learning and reviewing English grammar. I have learned about simple, compound, and complex sentences. I have, also, learned about conjunctions and transitions and parallel structure in English sentences. Furthermore, the course taught about the sentence variety, too.

By BHARAT P C

Oct 12, 2020

Thank you respected ma'am, I found this course very interesting and it'll help me to understand grammar. Now, I'm going to join your other course on grammar, essay, and other stuff related to these courses. I want to improve my writing skills and grammar.

Thanks and Regards,

Bharat Pratap Chauhan.

By M. J G

Sep 22, 2015

This is an excellent course of study for anyone in college and online bloggers. I wish you this class was offered to bloggers on the Wordpress site. Many of the blogger do not use any form of editing program to correct their mistakes.

I would recommend offering this class to all blogging sites.

By Lisa E

May 4, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course because I've learned so much about writing in a just 4 weeks. The lessons were very clearly explained so there was no need for confusion. I would recommend this course ,not just to college students, but to anyone in need of brushing up on there writing skills.

By Karen P

Dec 21, 2015

Excellent refresher or reminder course! Activities are genuine and realistic with a bit of challenge, unlike some other courses on other websites that provide the answers. Instructor is pleasant, though a bit assuming, at times. Take this course whether you've grown up speaking english or not.

By Kirill P

Apr 17, 2020

Actually it was difficult for me. The English Grammar not like Russian, I did many mistakes, but I worked hardly and I was concentrate on that. I was my the 1st time online course in my life. I am very happy and proude that I passed this an interesting course. Thanks a lot for Grammar Team!

By Ilkin A

Nov 1, 2020

This was my first challenge in Coursera and I am happy to get my first Certificate.

It was very interesting, very professional prepared course, however the course motivated me so much that, I will keep moving and add more certificates to my Career Ladder. Thanks for everything, Courser Team!

By Tanya J A A M

Oct 7, 2020

First, I want to thank Professor Tamy Chapman for her excellent way of teaching: assertive, precise, clear and well structured. I am totally satisfied with this course. While learning grammar, my view of English was broadened so I feel an urge to want to learn more on this matter.

Thank you.

By Muhamad H W

Feb 16, 2019

Dear Coursera community,

I am writing to thank you about this lovely course that I have just finished. When I started this course I had a plan to work on certain ideas to improve my writing skill, and it was all covered through this great course.

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Muhamad Hisham Wafaee

By Sonia S K

Jun 12, 2020

This is a very good course to revise one's knowledge on grammar and punctuation. it covers significant portions of grammar and punctuation in a simple way with lots of examples. Even if one knows the language, this course helps in going through grammar to recollect what all learned earlier.

By Giri N

Sep 11, 2017

I am so thankful to the coursera for offering this course. Especially, I am indebted to the coursera, because they helped me by sanctioning financial aid. I learned several fundamental aspects in this course, like about tenses, proper punctuation, and about usage of parallel structure etc.

By HEIDY M M R

Oct 23, 2020

I not only learned grammar but also enjoyed practicing it. The topics are well explained and varied, too. I found very interesting all the materials and the many resources we could use to review what we had just learned; due to all of this, I think it was easier to understand the topics.

By Wendy Z

Dec 27, 2017

The course is very well designed with practices and quiz for the learners to check their knowledge. The forum also offers a very good platform for us as students to discuss about out confusions and share and evaluate some of our learning results. I benefited quite much from the course.

By Muzammil A Q

It was simply Brilliant. Every video lecture was not only easily understandable but also entertaining because of examples; however, there was some technical issues in practice exercises because they needed heavy internet to run, but at the end it was so far best online course for me.

By Md. R

Mar 14, 2020

I am really grateful to the Coursera team. without your financial aid, it was not possible for me to complete this fruitful course. I will prefer my folks and friends to do this course. thank you for this wonderful course. hope, I can confidently write my English without hesitation.

By nelson H

Jun 2, 2017

I haven't purchased the course itself, but as a free course to learn grammar and punctuation, it is great. It is the best of its kind. Though it was not as extensive as I would have liked, it covers all the essential grammar rules that anyone needs to get started with essay writing.

By Thakshila

Oct 13, 2015

I loved this course an the instructor. I got my confidence back on my grammar and punctuation, however, need more practice to reach the perfection of my writing. The flexibility to take the courses for free of charge is very much appreciated. Thank you Tamy and UCI for your effort!

By KIM J

Jun 18, 2016

This is really helpful course. If you have already some knowledge on grammar and punctuation, but you are not sure about it yourself, you should take this course. You will have more confidence when you write in English.

Thank Coursera for this course. I really enjoyed the course.