Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design in the West. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Students will develop an understanding of where the wide variety of today’s design practice comes from. By participating in this survey of the works of innovative groups and individuals, we outline the process by which graphic design moved from a purely instrumental practice, to becoming a demanding creative and hybridized field. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required. A note about this course: This course is taught from the perspective of contemporary design, to connect ideas that helped formulate design practice from the 1850s through the 1960s to the ways that designers think today. The relationship of words and pictures in graphic design is looked at through the ever-changing social and cultural contexts, technologies, aesthetics, and politics of their eras. The definition and practice of graphic design includes all public visual communications, which is a global practice. It was the evolution of mass production and communication in the West that specifically redefined graphic design as a professional practice and is this course’s particular narrative. We hope students will consider how to connect the themes and ideas offered in this course to your own culture....

ER

Mar 21, 2022

I was a little bit nervous about this course, I always hated History in school, but surprisingly this was very good! I enjoyed it! The assignments were easy to understand and managebale to complete.

AS

Jul 8, 2022

Wonderful introduction to the history of graphic design. The course emphasize main ideas of 20th century deisgners and provides you with additional information to enable you to do your own research.

101 - 125 of 491 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Regina J

Jun 13, 2020

I really enjoyed learning about the overview and history of graphic design. It makes me want to learn more about what is outside of the scope of this class.

By Julia P G

Jul 23, 2018

very clear and concise videos+explanations. It gave me a good (but brief and that's ok) overview graphic design history. I feel like I learned a lot of things

By Fabian M

Dec 14, 2016

Fun and very interesting. It has lifted the veil from a lot of things that were all around me in society and yet were transparent to me prior to this course.

By F A

Sep 26, 2018

Recommend it to all new starter in graphics design, because its a great tool of knowledge to understand how or why certain things where done in certain ways.

By doaa a

Dec 1, 2020

In this course I learned history of designs I never imagine that I will learn in a day and I love keep searching in history of design many thanks for you 😊

By yeliz

Mar 27, 2020

It was a very good class, and the content is very interesting and satisfying. I especially liked the assignments, and I learned a lot while preparing them.

By Tomás G D

Apr 6, 2021

very clear about the birth of design and its evolution, the example of sister Corita Kent fascinated me, thank you for all this education and information.

By Yuliya S

Oct 27, 2019

I really liked the course material and the way teachers provide information. I learned a lot and noted many areas that I will continue to study on my own.

By Rohan S

Oct 23, 2018

This course gives some invaluable insight on the history of graphic design with a ton of examples, something that's often left out on many other courses.

By Celia P M

Apr 8, 2021

It's a pretty great introduction to Graphic Design's history. They tell you where the need for Graohic Design was born and how it evolved into nowadays.

By Rohit N

Aug 31, 2016

I enjoyed studying history for the first time in my life. It is really insightful to see how design has evolved and still has influences from the past.

By Keshab D P

Dec 1, 2020

One of the wonderful platform and means to spread the wings of passion in graphics, Respectful acknowledgement to the Tutors; Cal Arts, and Courseera

By Rosa P M V

Aug 26, 2017

Excellent course. I could understand a general idea from where graphic design comes from. Now I know where to look for references and inspiration.

By namrata d

Nov 21, 2019

This Course history of graphic design was wonderful . It took me back at early history of Graphics design. Thank you and I truly appreciate it.

By S U H

May 1, 2021

This is awesome. I learnt all the essential fundermentals of Graphic Design from Professsional lectures in this course. Perfect course content.

By Ronald K

Oct 9, 2017

Very informative! I recommend it! =) It helped me to understand a bit more of the world and how the design evolved in modern/contemporary era.

By Juachi O

Sep 21, 2017

Enjoyed learning about the evolution of Graphic Design. I do wish this course covered other countries. Perhaps I'll look that up independently

By Yurshevich A O

Jan 15, 2021

A lot of information. You really immerse yourself in different eras, you study with pleasure. All information is useful and of high quality.

By Muhammad I

Jun 17, 2020

Very informative about the history of graphic design. I wasn't aware of so much detail provided in this course, take so much time otherwise.

By Zackary A K

Jul 5, 2017

Very interesting, introductory lectures on the history of design. It really helped my get my footing, so that reading further has been easy.

By Ulrich W

Dec 21, 2016

Very nice overview how trends and tastes changed over time, finalizing in a project targeting a particular sub-culture. I learned something.

By Carlos L

Mar 11, 2017

great reviewing of the different trends in graphics design history and the related marketing, great approach. i really enjoyed the course.

By Meghan A

Jun 7, 2021

I loved this class, its so fun and the Instructors are awesome! I learned so much about the history of Graphic Design that I didnt know!

By YO L

Aug 18, 2022

Wonderful course, one of my favorites from the CalArts Specialization. Very informative and well explained, I loved every minute of it!

By Yana B

Apr 27, 2021

Awesome course, thanks to the creators! I learned a lot about the history of graphic design and consolidated my knowledge in practice.