Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

26 - 50 of 239 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Abhilash V

Dec 24, 2016

This course has a great overview of the history of graphics design.The assignments are really fun to do.You will think and research about ads that are reiterations of the 19th century ads.A great course for those interested in the field.

By Angelica B

Feb 12, 2017

I learnt so many things in this course and it has given me a new perspective when looking at graphic design. Through thus course I have learnt the importance of looking at the history of graphic design and learning from other designers.

By Ana P B

Oct 25, 2016

It was very interesting to know this different periods and specific designer's works. I was surprised to know Sister Corita, her work is awesome. And the assignments were another very nice way to know other cultures and points of view.

By Juan C E

Dec 20, 2016

It is a powerful tool for anyone interested on Visual Arts. The way this course is designed and curated, allows the student to expand the scope of the matter and get some inspiration to pursue his own sources of knowledge. Good work!

By Ruth J

Aug 17, 2018

This has got to be my favorite among the specializations as it provides context for present and future thoughts and movements of design. The instructors were very good and succinct. The movements discussed were very interesting.

By Anna E T

Jan 01, 2017

I learned a lot about the history of graphic design through this course and I really enjoyed the research assignments which encouraged us to delve more deeply into the history, the changes, and the ideas behind so many designs.

By Elsa P

Dec 15, 2017

This is a great introductory course in the history of design. The material was presented clearly and it's very well planned and organized. I had some issues with the audio but this is a minor issue that can be easily fixed

By Pablo B D

w

f

g

a

phic design history. The classes would easy to understand and assimilate. The assignments were very helpful to understand the lessons. Many thanks!

By Ana M D

Dec 05, 2016

By Hay C Y

Sep 19, 2019

I think learning from the history is really important for graphic designers, as inspirations or reference! This course does a great job covering different styles and schools of graphic design!

By Sreyas S

Apr 07, 2018

Fantastic Course! It helps you build a deep insight into the evolution of graphic design and also as a process of the assignments helps you understand local graphic practices and subculture!

By Sanda L

Jul 15, 2016

A more theoretical Cours that I really enjoyed and made me search for different artists. I started researching more and discovered how valuable this can be. Thank you for all the resources.

By Martin S

Aug 23, 2017

This course gives us opportunity to explore within us that creating a project based task for a client or own startup. It can also be used as our portfolio. Opens up door for the career.

By jen a

Oct 23, 2016

very informative course, it's very good to know the inspiration of contemporary art cultures. it opens up more creativity and out of the box thinking for new artists like me. Thank you

By Amy C

Nov 08, 2018

This should be one of the first courses. Students, especially English Language Learners need the front loading of the topic. It would ideally help clarify the idea of graphic design.

By Assel N

Sep 10, 2016

This course gave me a lot of important information about the birth and rise of the Graphic Design as a stand alone profession. It was a great opportunity to fulfil my knowledge.

By mangazico

Oct 30, 2017

it was one of the best online courses that has coursera the lectures are really enjoyable i had a great time and most important I earn a lot about the history of Graphic design

By Stephanie O

Feb 27, 2017

It's good to have a background on the history of Graphic Design. Historical and Contemporary References and what their differences helps me when designing a brand/logo/logotype

By Aleksandar J

Jun 10, 2019

Completely satisfied with this course. I learned a lot about history of graphic design and its influence in modern graphic design. Would recommend this course to anybody!

By Fatimah O

Jan 14, 2017

I really like it, even it took long time for me to submit week 4 assignments before the dead line.

I really wonder if calart afford an online graphic design degree.

Thanks.

By Salem F A

Sep 22, 2019

this is the pest part of Graphic design previous courses, I love it because i see much more about designing in diffrent eras, really this is helpful course for everyone.

By Amanda J V

Oct 11, 2016

Nice overview of graphic design history, I learned some new things, broadened my historical background, and had assignments that tied it back into contemporary design.

By Natalia M

Jan 17, 2017

I really enjoyed this class and thought it was very useful for learning about the importance of historical events that contribute to how we design graphics today.

By Julia P G

Jul 23, 2018

very clear and concise videos+explanations. It gave me a good (but brief and that's ok) overview graphic design history. I feel like I learned a lot of things