Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design in the West. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Students will develop an understanding of where the wide variety of today’s design practice comes from. By participating in this survey of the works of innovative groups and individuals, we outline the process by which graphic design moved from a purely instrumental practice, to becoming a demanding creative and hybridized field. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required. A note about this course: This course is taught from the perspective of contemporary design, to connect ideas that helped formulate design practice from the 1850s through the 1960s to the ways that designers think today. The relationship of words and pictures in graphic design is looked at through the ever-changing social and cultural contexts, technologies, aesthetics, and politics of their eras. The definition and practice of graphic design includes all public visual communications, which is a global practice. It was the evolution of mass production and communication in the West that specifically redefined graphic design as a professional practice and is this course’s particular narrative. We hope students will consider how to connect the themes and ideas offered in this course to your own culture....

PD
Nov 26, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD
Dec 4, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

26 - 50 of 431 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Violaine B

Aug 14, 2016

Amazing class, very interesting in terms of content -you learn a lot about the History of Graphic Design- and a great reflection on graphic design today. The assignments were all clever and insightful.

I really recommend it for anyone in the graphic design business, whether you're starting out or have been in the industry a while!

By Madison F

Jan 10, 2019

Incredibly interesting to learn the history of graphic design and the influences of it, and those early designers. There's so much more meaning and intention behind it than I knew. The course is also set up in a great way that is informational and really interesting, but does not force learning or busy-work in any way.

By Simran

Jul 14, 2020

At first I thought this would be too theoretical. But in fact, it deepened my insight on arts and culture and gave a a wider aspect of creating new works for future. It was good to gain knowledge on the historical aspects of art and images as that has set the foundation for the blooming graphic design in todays era.

By Kristen F

Aug 19, 2017

This class was very interesting and it gives some background for a lot of the stuff that you learn in the other courses in the specialization. I liked that the assignments weren't difficult but were interesting and informative. We were able to learn from each other and learn in the process of researching topics.

By Carmen L

Jan 12, 2021

The instructor is very engaging. I learnt how graphic design developed overtime from here. This will enable me to be more concise on how I want to represent my art, through both texts and graphics. Overall, I recommend this course to those who want to study graphic design, or just out of pure interest! :")

By Pratik R K

Aug 11, 2020

It is definitely a great course clearly telling you the relation between modern-day arts/ graphic designing and the graphic designing from the 19th century and how it has developed, it's origins, and it's application. Overall an incredible course for the beginners and also more experienced people.

By Maneesha

May 4, 2020

This is the best experience I ever had while following this course. Every lecture is something so new and exciting for me. It's the best way to learn Graphic Designing at Cal Arts. Thank you for everyone, teachers and all peers who guided me in this program. Hop everyone enjoy it and learn a lot!

By Aye M T

Jun 10, 2020

Thank you so much for this amazing course.I've learnt a lot about the history of graphic design through this course. I've learnt how designers in the 19th century create designs, different ways of creating images and designs.And the quiz and assignments help me a lot to gain further more ideas.

By Karla V A P

Jan 11, 2019

Excellent courses, i learned a lot and i can recognize and converse about topics in arts and graphics. It keeps interested in different designs and now i can have another look and criticism in art, mode and graphics. I recommend it to those who are interested in art in general and its history.

By Hasnat A H

Sep 4, 2020

A wonderful course that discusses about the history of graphic design, shows the learners how different elements of graphic design were inspired from a particular period. The best part is, it enables one to "observe" things from new perspectives. The instructors were very cordial and joyful.

By Julie S

Jan 14, 2019

This course definitely expanded my view of art and design in history. I'm not much into history and so had a hard time at first getting into the course, but the further I went, the more interesting it became. I really enjoyed and benefited from the assigned projects. It was a good course.

By Денис

Jan 21, 2017

Interesting course. I reccomend it for people who want to knew some valuable information about history of design. It start from XIX century and move to XX century, but not to the end. It would be great if you will made a new course with new era of design with internet and modern devices.

By Valerie V K

Oct 29, 2018

A very interesting course! It shows you really interesting designs throughout near history, and also forces you to look around to identify influences and tools in the Now. And sure enough, once you start looking, you start to notice things and become more observant.

By Pavel S

Feb 23, 2017

Great course! Definitely a must-visit for anyone interested in graphic design. Even though I am myself a practising graphic designer for about five years now, I did learn quite a lot of interesting and, most important, useful information there. Highly recommend it.

By Tina L O Z

Jan 14, 2019

I have enjoyed the course very much. I find the lectures and resources are inspiring and the assignments give you enough room to go light or deep into the topic by displaying our own examples from research. Looking forward to taking more in the series on Design!

By David T

Feb 25, 2017

Very well-designed course with comprehensive information for each week. The content of this course is superb, but as a non-native English speaker, sometimes I find it difficult to catch up with the long sentences in the video and have to go back to the transcript.

By Kurkur T

May 3, 2021

this cousrse about this topic very usefull to me , to be how graphic design built and to be rich style entil now. very useful info and topic . i like the topic. this work very useful to me how review another work from another design with specific style .

By Kseniia T

Aug 22, 2016

The course is very well-structured, and makes it a pleasure both to learn and work on assignments. There are a lot of examples from the history of graphic design - a huge field of potential inspiration for the ones working in the graphic design field!

By Sarah D S

Apr 17, 2020

Well paced, informative! Enjoyed the breadth of information provided. I took this to experience an online course, as I am designing online instruction currently for several classes. This is a great example of timing, clarity and content. Thank you.

By Gail H

Dec 27, 2016

A great course. Taking the specialization and this course fit right in with the other courses I have taken in the graphic design specialization. Recommend this to everyone interested in graphic design. Instructors were good. Enjoyed the course.

By Ale R

Mar 20, 2017

Really well constructed course on some premises, tendencies and movements relevant for the History of Graphic Design. For someone who hasn't had formal design education and is seeking for some knowledge in this area, this is the perfect approach.

By Jessica S

Feb 20, 2020

Engaging overview of the history of graphic design. I left the course with an understanding of the social and cultural influences on design and this class has inspired me to dig even deeper into some of the styles and trends that were discussed.

By Zubair M

Feb 24, 2021

A great course which provides a brief overview of the major movements in graphic design throughout its history. Very informative and this course also helps develop curiosity, your own identity as a designer, and develop better research skills.

By Abhilash V

Dec 24, 2016

This course has a great overview of the history of graphics design.The assignments are really fun to do.You will think and research about ads that are reiterations of the 19th century ads.A great course for those interested in the field.

By Aimee L

Jun 15, 2020

Really enjoyed this course - a good introduction to some of the historical roots of graphic design. I did this as the 4th course in the design specialization. If anything, I think it would be useful to do at the beginning of the course.