Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD
Nov 26, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD
Dec 4, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

76 - 100 of 416 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Michael N K S M

I love the materials and how they are structured along with the quizzes and the assignments. They really help students to grasp the concepts of design history and design studies.

By Assel N

Sep 10, 2016

This course gave me a lot of important information about the birth and rise of the Graphic Design as a stand alone profession. It was a great opportunity to fulfil my knowledge.

By mangazico

Oct 29, 2017

it was one of the best online courses that has coursera the lectures are really enjoyable i had a great time and most important I earn a lot about the history of Graphic design

By Stephanie O

Feb 26, 2017

It's good to have a background on the history of Graphic Design. Historical and Contemporary References and what their differences helps me when designing a brand/logo/logotype

By Aleksandar J

Jun 10, 2019

Completely satisfied with this course. I learned a lot about history of graphic design and its influence in modern graphic design. Would recommend this course to anybody!

By Fatimah O

Jan 14, 2017

I really like it, even it took long time for me to submit week 4 assignments before the dead line.

I really wonder if calart afford an online graphic design degree.

Thanks.

By Salem F A

Sep 22, 2019

this is the pest part of Graphic design previous courses, I love it because i see much more about designing in diffrent eras, really this is helpful course for everyone.

By Julie W

Apr 10, 2020

This was my favorite Coursera course so far. Extremely engaging content, great instructors. I found myself researching each week's topics independently when I finished.

By Amanda J V

Oct 11, 2016

Nice overview of graphic design history, I learned some new things, broadened my historical background, and had assignments that tied it back into contemporary design.

By Amra S M

Jul 26, 2020

The course is fun and very informative. I learned alot from the 19th century, symbols and The origin of neon colors. Thank you for the interesting topics. Cheers!

By Natalia M

Jan 17, 2017

I really enjoyed this class and thought it was very useful for learning about the importance of historical events that contribute to how we design graphics today.

By Norman K

Nov 15, 2020

Very great lecturers and course materials. The assignments and quizzes are very thought-provoking and allow for a great dive into more research on graphic design

By Regina J

Jun 13, 2020

I really enjoyed learning about the overview and history of graphic design. It makes me want to learn more about what is outside of the scope of this class.

By Julia P G

Jul 23, 2018

very clear and concise videos+explanations. It gave me a good (but brief and that's ok) overview graphic design history. I feel like I learned a lot of things

By Fabian M

Dec 14, 2016

Fun and very interesting. It has lifted the veil from a lot of things that were all around me in society and yet were transparent to me prior to this course.

By F A

Sep 26, 2018

Recommend it to all new starter in graphics design, because its a great tool of knowledge to understand how or why certain things where done in certain ways.

By Doaa A E A S

Dec 1, 2020

In this course I learned history of designs I never imagine that I will learn in a day and I love keep searching in history of design many thanks for you 😊

By yeliz

Mar 27, 2020

It was a very good class, and the content is very interesting and satisfying. I especially liked the assignments, and I learned a lot while preparing them.

By Tomás G D

Apr 6, 2021

very clear about the birth of design and its evolution, the example of sister Corita Kent fascinated me, thank you for all this education and information.

By Yuliya S

Oct 27, 2019

I really liked the course material and the way teachers provide information. I learned a lot and noted many areas that I will continue to study on my own.

By Rohan S

Oct 23, 2018

This course gives some invaluable insight on the history of graphic design with a ton of examples, something that's often left out on many other courses.

By Celia P M

Apr 8, 2021

It's a pretty great introduction to Graphic Design's history. They tell you where the need for Graohic Design was born and how it evolved into nowadays.

By Rohit N

Aug 31, 2016

I enjoyed studying history for the first time in my life. It is really insightful to see how design has evolved and still has influences from the past.

By Keshab D P

Dec 1, 2020

One of the wonderful platform and means to spread the wings of passion in graphics, Respectful acknowledgement to the Tutors; Cal Arts, and Courseera

By Rosa P M V

Aug 26, 2017

Excellent course. I could understand a general idea from where graphic design comes from. Now I know where to look for references and inspiration.