Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

76 - 100 of 237 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Nadia A M

Aug 28, 2017

Great!

By Amanda J V

Oct 11, 2016

Nice overview of graphic design history, I learned some new things, broadened my historical background, and had assignments that tied it back into contemporary design.

By Astrid S

Feb 14, 2017

Loved this course! Super interesting content and motivating lecturers! Awesome!

By Ahmed M A

Sep 11, 2018

it's very useful course

i learned, how designers are thinking in the past and how it related to the future

By Kayne M

Sep 24, 2018

Very interesting and insightful trip throughout the history of graphic design with thorough analysis.

By Larie G

Sep 13, 2018

Loved it.

By Chana M H

Aug 26, 2018

I enjoyed this course because I was able to learn background and research materials that helped me understand the foundation of the ideological side of design. I am continuing to read the suggested reading materials because I know this will add to my skill, knowledge, and abilities as a designer! It also improved my research skills.

By Ruth J

Aug 17, 2018

This has got to be my favorite among the specializations as it provides context for present and future thoughts and movements of design. The instructors were very good and succinct. The movements discussed were very interesting.

By Guerin A

Oct 19, 2018

Thank you for this wonderful course. It really makes you think on a deeper level about design, not only how it was created, but why.

By Roberto M A

Oct 22, 2018

It is fundamental to understand the history of the fields we work with. This Course explains some of the main moments from the History of Graphic Design and how it shaped what we do nowadays. The examples and assignments help us think critically about current symbols/objects/graphic elements, placing them in the correct context in the History of Graphic Design. Recommended!

By Rohan S

Oct 23, 2018

This course gives some invaluable insight on the history of graphic design with a ton of examples, something that's often left out on many other courses.

By Soh W K

Oct 26, 2018

Insightful understanding of Bauhaus and it's philosophy and Teachers and Artworks.

By Qamar A A

Oct 26, 2018

I really like to say thanks to my teachers here.

By Valerie V K

Oct 29, 2018

A very interesting course! It shows you really interesting designs throughout near history, and also forces you to look around to identify influences and tools in the Now. And sure enough, once you start looking, you start to notice things and become more observant.

By Amy C

Nov 08, 2018

This should be one of the first courses. Students, especially English Language Learners need the front loading of the topic. It would ideally help clarify the idea of graphic design.

By bassemgomaa

Nov 10, 2018

good course

By Taneesha

Aug 02, 2018

My favourite of the courses in the Graphic Design Specialisation thus far !

By Aadit S

Mar 15, 2017

amazing course great teachers !

By Rosa P M V

Aug 26, 2017

Excellent course. I could understand a general idea from where graphic design comes from. Now I know where to look for references and inspiration.

By Ana M D

Dec 05, 2016

By Viorel-Daniel S

Oct 10, 2017

It was fun learning about the history of design. Assignments are easy and do not require much effort, though.

By 魏清君

Nov 11, 2016

Great Course!

By drewmunro

Mar 19, 2017

An excellent intro to the subject.

By Xue D Y

Jul 02, 2016

满分满分满分

By Israel T

Oct 05, 2016

I definitely recommend this course!