Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design in the West. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Students will develop an understanding of where the wide variety of today’s design practice comes from. By participating in this survey of the works of innovative groups and individuals, we outline the process by which graphic design moved from a purely instrumental practice, to becoming a demanding creative and hybridized field. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required. A note about this course: This course is taught from the perspective of contemporary design, to connect ideas that helped formulate design practice from the 1850s through the 1960s to the ways that designers think today. The relationship of words and pictures in graphic design is looked at through the ever-changing social and cultural contexts, technologies, aesthetics, and politics of their eras. The definition and practice of graphic design includes all public visual communications, which is a global practice. It was the evolution of mass production and communication in the West that specifically redefined graphic design as a professional practice and is this course’s particular narrative. We hope students will consider how to connect the themes and ideas offered in this course to your own culture....

PD
Nov 26, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD
Dec 4, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

176 - 200 of 431 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Hanif R

Dec 19, 2020

I learned a lot of history from this course. Graphic Design had come a long way.

By Renee T

Feb 11, 2018

I've learned so many new design ideas. The history behind it all is fascinating.

By Astrid S

Feb 14, 2017

Loved this course! Super interesting content and motivating lecturers! Awesome!

By Sion J

Jun 18, 2020

I learned a lot that I'd not known about specific logos and who created them.

By Iskra D

May 21, 2019

The course gives good basics on the design development throughout the years.

By Mubashir Z

Dec 25, 2020

this course is well designed, helps to rethink the ability for image making

By Taneesha

Aug 2, 2018

My favourite of the courses in the Graphic Design Specialisation thus far !

By Ephraim N

Dec 13, 2019

Very interesting and definitely feels like it helps my approach to design.

By Mariagabriella L

Jul 2, 2017

I learned a lot, especially how to research and understand other designers

By Piotr

Jan 28, 2021

I enjoyed this course thoroughly. I'm giving it 5 stars and recommend it.

By Guilherme R P

Thank you very much dear teachers. I have loved learning from you!

Cheers.

By Ar. S D

Oct 12, 2020

very interesting course, learned the basic about graphic design history.

By Michelle G

Oct 12, 2017

A very interesting survey with lots of useful and stimulating content.

By Camila D

Nov 10, 2016

A really good course, it even help me with some classes in university!

By Richard B

Oct 29, 2020

You learn a lot about how economics and art can influence each other.

By 朱思超

Aug 14, 2017

great course for designers who have no idea of graphic design history

By CALZO , D A (

Feb 12, 2021

The topic manages properly grasp about the history of graphic design

By Claudia M L T C

Sep 19, 2020

A good way to learn a really quick sum-up of Design's History. Nice!

By John M

Dec 6, 2019

This was a great foundation course to graphic design. I enjoyed it.

By Anastasia O

Jun 25, 2018

Very interesting and thought provoking. I really enjoyed the class!

By Kateryna

Aug 20, 2020

Thank you for the course, I fiord out a lot of useful information.

By Chris

Really interesting. Informative videos and great example of works.

By Sooyang K

Mar 12, 2018

This course helps to improve my basic knowledge of graphic design.

By Ellen R

Sep 22, 2020

An informative and enjoyable course! I think my favourite so far!

By Daniela S

Jul 22, 2020

Great Course! Would have loved a couple of more weeks of content.