Back to Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities by Lund University

How can we shape urban development towards sustainable and prosperous futures? This course will explore sustainable cities as engines for greening the economy. We place cities in the context of sustainable urban transformation and climate change. Sustainable urban transformation refers to structural transformation processes – multi-dimensional and radical change – that can effectively direct urban development towards ambitious sustainability and climate goals. We will connect the key trends of urbanization, decarbonisation and sustainability. We will examine visions, experiments and innovations in urban areas. We will look at practices (what is happening in cities at present) and opportunities (what are the possibilities for cities going forwards into the future). We bring together a collection of diverse short films and key short readings on sustainable cities as well as interactive forums and a practical assignment to create an online learning community. This course provides key examples of activities to promote sustainable cities in Scandinavia, Europe and around the world. We utilize films and reports by WWF, the Economist Intelligence Unit, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, UN-Habitat, C40 Climate Leadership Group, Arup, Sustainia, the Rockefeller Foundation, and ongoing research projects. This course is produced by Lund University in cooperation with WWF and ICLEI. It is available for free to everyone, everywhere! The International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE) at Lund University is an international centre of excellence on sustainable solutions. The IIIEE is ideally suited to understand and explain the interdisciplinary issues in sustainable cities and greening the economy utilising the diverse disciplinary backgrounds of its international staff. The IIIEE has been researching and teaching on sustainable solutions since the 1990s and it has extensive international networks connecting with a variety of organizations....

SV

Sep 29, 2019

This course has been approached not just for academic purpose but also it is a moral oligation to carry forward what has been taught. I thank the authorities and faculties who have made presentations.

MB

Mar 15, 2019

Really interesting course. I recommend it for all people who want to now how are cities need to act for sustainable development of our cities, how to prevent earth from fast increasing c02 footprint.

26 - 50 of 493 Reviews for Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities

By Dr. P T

I thouroughly enjoyed the course. It is well articulated and inspiring too. I truly enjoyed working on the assignment. This inspired me to delve deeper into the urban green initiatives in my city and document everything in detail and see what improvements can be taken up in future in short and long term time span. I would like to work more in this domain and contribute towards making my city as sustainable as possible. Thank you for offering this course.

By 'Lanre F

Jun 25, 2019

I learnt so much in this course that is not yet in place in my country Nigeria. I took the course just to have an idea of what is happening around the world on this topic. I completed the course in less than a week. Within that one week, I saw in the news that the African Development Bank is leading discussions on sustainability and that Nigeria is involved!

Courses that put you ahead are highly recommended!

By Jordyn

This course was so interesting - truly in-depth, applicable, and contemporary theory on sustainable development. Great examples of how sustainable urban transformation is being used in cities around the world, and how integrating sustainable development into urban development practice can take place. Highly, highly recommend to anyone interested in the sustainability field or urban development.

By Boyko D

Mar 12, 2020

That was my first encounter with sustainability in cities and as well as learning new things, I could understand a framework of studies about sustainability. A lot of great examples helped to visualise the problem along with solutions. I personally liked the Week 2 assignment that made me think a lot and create a kind of case study of my own interest.

Thank you for the course!

By Vanessa J

Jun 06, 2017

This course is great ! I am very interested in Sustainability and it connects to my professional industry in Architecture, however, I was a bit depressed that maybe not much was happening to change the world. This course has opened my eyes to many worldwide councils, universities and organisations that are trying to make a difference! (no matter what Mr Trump thinks!)

By claudio u

Nov 13, 2017

I would like to comment that I found this course very illustrative and that it provides a practical perspective of the initiatives that are being developed to make our urban ecological systems more sustainable and that generate more favorable environments for human development.

Thanks to Coursera for generating these learning spaces and for sharing experiences.

By Manar F E

Mar 14, 2020

I have learned a lot in this course because its content not only speaks with specialists or academics but also cares about all human beings and their role to solve many environmental problems associated with the energy caused by our uses and our daily bad habit towards the environment in which we live, so Thank you very much about this important information.

By Kithmini W

Mar 12, 2020

This course is very good motivation for me to improve my knowledge with the area of sustainable cities as a beginner level student.also the presentations are very clear,easy to understand which is really helpful to complete this successfully. Thank you all who joined this and i suggest this for every student who are interested in sustainable development.

By Alisha P K

May 03, 2020

It is a fantastic course and I encourage every living citizen of any age group to do it no matter it is related to your career or not. Its an eye opener to me and I will definitely want to contribute my part in some way to make the world a better place to live in. Thank you for the immense information and knowledge from this beautifully crafted course.

By Priti D

The course is really insightful. Learned a lot about the new green initiatives and developments happening around the world for making our cities a better place to live in a sustainable way. The course content and constructive assignments make you actually think hard. Indeed a great learning experience and a great online learning platform. Thank you.

By Bassel T

This course is fantastic, it is very well organized and provide lots of information. Every question is explained thoroughly, with detailed explanations.

I would have wished to see more technicalities, but the course set me on the right track to do my own research and progress. To more sustainable environment, wishing this awareness to everyone.

By Alex N K

Aug 10, 2017

The course has help me understanding the close relationship between economy development and sustainability and further to plan for the future while considering the environment as par integral of cities. The experience from the scandinavian countries were the best part for my conviction to work toward greener cities and economic development.

By Brian D A

Aug 14, 2019

I enjoyed the ideas shared and the optimism of all involved. Cities are a wonderful opportunity to experiment and disrupt business as usual to promote massive possible ecological change. The course was a bit easy but made for a good flow of ideas and demonstrated several examples of how cities are tackling issues related to global warming.

By Juan D S

May 01, 2020

I really learned a lot from this course , it helped me to realize that there are many ways in which the citizens and governments can help their cities through innovative to achieve their goal of being sustainable places, as well is really helpful for those who want to generate income but at the same time care about the environment

By Veronica B

Sep 09, 2016

This was one of the best courses I've taken on Coursera in terms of overall structure and engagement. The videos and lectures were quite engaging, with a variety of instructors and presenters, all of which were very professional and dynamic. The readings complimented the videos nicely, as well. Overall, a great course.

By 杨天娇

Nov 07, 2016

I really enjoy this course. it presents us a lot of wonderful ideas and practices about the future. with some famous NGO participated in,like WWF,, the class content gets more colorful.the overall view of sustainable cities really impressed me...I would like to share the course to my friends

By michelle s

Apr 19, 2020

Excelente curso. Tiene información bastante actualizada y práctica. Si como alumno llegases a considerar que algun contenido es dejado por fuera o simplemente te gustaria profundizarlo, los profesores y tutores encargados te responden en seguida con muchisimo mas material sumamente util. Fue muy gratificante.

By Nora M

May 19, 2017

Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities has been truly an eye-opening educational experience for me as a graduate architect and citizen of Mother Earth. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about sustainability from concept stage to implementation stages and on the multitude of resources presented during the weeks.

By Ali A E B

Oct 19, 2018

This course is very useful and helpful, when you take this course you can understand what is sustainable development and how it is very important for us today to understand this meaning and how we can apply it to our cities to improve the standards of living and live in a clean and sustainable environment.

By José J M F

Feb 09, 2016

This course is very easy, but the content is excellent and engaging. The assignment really makes you reflect about what is your city making for sustainability and also is inspiring to know what other cities around the world are doing for it. It should be part of our continuous education in sustainability.

By Alex L

Mar 14, 2020

I think this course is very clear in its purpose, pedagogic and comprehensive of the topics treated. It helps you realize both the big efforts being made within cities around the world to tackle climate change, and the challenges ahead to successfully achieve the goals proposed by cities, agencies, etc.

By Stefanía T D L R

Oct 07, 2019

I got a much better understanding on how sustainability can be developed in cities and why it is actually essential to do so. This course offers a very complete outlook on all of the areas that encompass urban sustainability and how each of those can be approached, and for that I highly recommend it.

By YADAV N D

IT HAVE BEEN A PLEASURE TO LEARN HOW TO GREEN THE CITY AND WHY ARE THEY NEEDED. THE FOLLOWING TACTICS AS SHOWN IN THESE COURSE ARE MUCH APPRECIABLE AND HELPFUL FOR THE LIVING SO I MYSELF WILL HANG UP WITH THESE IDEAS AND TRY TO PROVIDE THE HELP NEEDED TO HE CITY TO THE WORLD FROM MY SIDE, THANK YOU

By Valeri Y

Feb 16, 2016

Motivating and inspirational. Now I also do have a dream! The week 5 movie: The Sustainability Challenge, especially the part with the Energy & Water Science Center and all the kids exploring sustainability through games - those 30 seconds really are a light in the tunnel! Thanks!

By Fatemeh B

Feb 08, 2020

With the help of the course I took, I got to know some good resources. It has helped me to get better and better visions of the subject. I got to know different points of view. In the research section it helped me get access to the topics I was looking for. Thank you COURSERA :)