Back to Guitar for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Guitar for Beginners by Berklee College of Music

Grasp the essentials needed to begin playing acoustic or electric guitar. You'll learn an easy approach to get you playing quickly, through a combination of exploring the instrument, performance technique, and basic music theory. For students who have long thought about picking up the acoustic or electric guitar, this course will provide an easy-access foundation that will get you playing. When first learning guitar, it is important to have the material presented in stages, in an enjoyable way that allows you to grasp the basics of the instrument and music. The course begins simply with the parts of the guitar, the names of the strings, tuning, and technique—whether finger-style or pick. It then explores the basics of music theory with such topics as scales, triads, power chords, and fingering and shapes. At the end of this course, students will understand the structure, parts, and accessories of the instrument, in addition to an understanding of its basic maintenance. Electric guitar players will learn the operation of their instrument along with basic options for amplification, effect pedals, and sounds. Students will also learn to develop correct technique and apply theory concepts to their playing. They will have the foundational knowledge necessary to pursue most intermediate guitar courses....

MH

Apr 05, 2020

This course was a brilliant experience. My special thanks to Thadeus Hoggart for his patient and well organized course. Highly recommended for all those who are planning to start playing the Guitar.

RR

Oct 12, 2015

Dear Friends,\n\nI really enjoyed this course, specially the way "Thaddeus Hogarth" teach the course, It is unbelievably strong and master piece.\n\nThanks a lot "Thaddeus Hogarth"\n\nGod bless you

51 - 75 of 424 Reviews for Guitar for Beginners

By Daniel

Jan 04, 2016

Una nueva opcion y da la posibilidad a aquellos que esten muy interesados en seguir interiorizándose en el instrumento que ustedes han elegido, en este caso la guitarra. Muy bueno.

By dorlean d

Jan 25, 2016

Dommage que sur certaines videos, ce qui est dit ne colle pas vraiment avec les sous-titres et que certaines videos ne sont pas traduites en français ou ne sont pas sous-titrés.

By ABDELHAK H

Nov 14, 2016

fantastic course although i am registered blind and have hearing impairment i am able to pick up a lot o useful information and i have to say i am making slow but steady steps.

By Nuno P

Sep 18, 2015

loved it, I took guitar lessons when I was a kid and hated it. this course made it fun! it took the mystery out of it so I can see the big picture and got me playing the guitar

By Ouida A L

Jul 02, 2018

Great crouse! Simple consise manner of imparting information. Very supportive way of teaching and full of wonderful exercises ..right hand and left hand technique!! Wonderful!

By MOISÉS D M G

Nov 07, 2018

Excelente curso. Além da qualidade técnica do facilitador, a programação é impecável e a didática excelente. Os textos e os vídeos são excelentes.

Parabéns e muito obrigado.

By Konstantin D

Oct 13, 2016

Great introduction to the world of guitar playing, which covers some basics and gives young musicians the essential foundation for future progress. Thanks for this course!

By Aurora M Q

Nov 19, 2015

Genial, la única pega es que es caro el certificado comparado con otras plataformas que por la mitad de precio lo tienes, por lo demás el curso es muy recomendable.

By Alessio D S

Jan 23, 2019

Great course, cover almost all the key skills for a beginner guitarist, from chords to scales, and even a bit of registration and electric guitar effects!

By savan s

Apr 28, 2017

Enjoyed going through the course and learnt the foundation of the guitar thank you coursera and thanks a lot Sir Thaddeus Hogarth for making it so simple.

By Rajat S

Jan 09, 2017

T. Hogarth is a brilliant instructor! period! I was able to grasp and apply the concepts much faster than I would have with a private tutor.Thanks a lot.

By David

Jan 30, 2016

more than a terrific tool to take the guitar without previous experience and finishing with the availability of playing songs, riffing and witha arpegees

By Jeril J

Oct 03, 2016

Great classes by great instructor. Sir explains things to a begginnner in such a fashion that no doubts arises and the lecture is really crisp and clear

By Maxim N

Aug 12, 2017

The course is great for all the beginners. Thaddeus Hogarth is super cool and I enjoyed his way of teaching very much. Thank you, Coursera and Berlkee!

By Chris G

Aug 30, 2015

Content was a good range of beginner to more advanced. As a guitarist of 7 years I have learned a lot more that will help me advance my guitar playing.

By Samanta G P

Jan 12, 2016

Me gusto muchísimo! Voy por las primeras lecciones y creo es excelente! De cursarlo personalmente lo haría lastima no tengo los recursos económicos!

By Michael L

Nov 11, 2015

I was unable to complete the course, however, the sections that I did engage were very helpful and well designed for motivated beginning guitarists.

By David G

Sep 10, 2015

I'm new to learning guitar. This is a great mix of information and practicing. Love his method of teaching and what I've learned. Very well done.

By Yevgen G

Mar 21, 2017

That's a great course! I learned scales, pentatonics and how it is related to chords shapes. The assignments are very interesting and useful.

By Linda W

Aug 24, 2017

This was a fabulous class and I am really happy it was available. I hope to continue learning music theory and how it applied to the guitar.

By Pedro F C d S

Oct 31, 2015

It's being great to follow this course. It's inspiring me to learn how to play and to learn a little more by myself. Very complete course.

By Алексей Р

Nov 29, 2016

I really liked it! Teacher is great and material is pretty acheavable. I'm glad I made it through. Now I know more! Thanks Coursera!

By Trixia

Mar 15, 2016

Every week, it becomes harder and harder and I love it. I am also teaching this course to my brother so we can play guitar together.

By Priya T

Dec 29, 2015

Amazing :) Really beneficial and really great. Clears all the basic and makes me excited and inspired to learn how to play guitar :)

By Rahul R

Nov 23, 2015

Well structured, hope theres more guitar courses out there with more advanced topics, plz do consider making one, will be waiting :)