Back to The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World by Tel Aviv University

The Holocaust was an inconceivable historical event, which forever robbed Western culture of its innocence. As civilized human beings, we fail to understand how events of such horror could have taken place, and how an idea so inhumanly warped could have spread like wildfire through an entire continent, instigating the systematic annihilation of millions of Jews. This free online course was produced jointly by Tel Aviv University and Yad Vashem – the World Holocaust Remembrance Center. The course tracks the history of the Holocaust and has two parts. "The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World" is the first of the two courses and covers the following themes in its three weeks: Week 1: From Hatred to Core Ideology We will try to delve into Nazi ideology and the special place of Jews and Judaism in it. We will also discuss how the National Socialist Party converted the German Democracy of the Weimar Republic into a totalitarian regime within a short period of time, and its meaning for Jews and non-Jewish citizens. Week 2: The World and the Jews in World War II We will try to examine the broader contexts of the Holocaust and to place it, as part of World War 2. In this meeting we will also refer to the vital Jewish world to be found under various Nazi occupations and influences. Week 3: The Isolation Abyss - the Perspective of the Individual We will try to reveal different aspects of Jewish life in the face of the badge of shame, ghettos and segregation, as well as the formation of individual, societies’ and leader’s reactions in the face of a consistent policy of dispossession and discrimination. Once you’ve completed this course, you can continue your learning with The Holocaust - An Introduction (II): The Final Solution (https://www.coursera.org/learn/holocaust-introduction-2/home/welcome) This online course is offered in an innovative, multi-level format, comprising: * Comprehensive lectures by leading researchers from Tel Aviv University and Yad Vashem. * A wealth of voices and viewpoints presented by guest lecturers. * Numerous documents, photos, testimonies and works of art from the time of the Holocaust. * Novel learning experience: Crowd sourcing – involving the learners themselves in the act of collecting and shaping information, via unique, exciting online assignments. REQUIREMENTS: This course is designed for anyone with an interest in the Holocaust, including students, teachers, academics and policy-makers....

D
Mar 27, 2016

A fascinating personal account of the atrocity while the world watched! This class is for everyone there is so much more to learn, thank you for everything you went out of you way to help, God Bless

DA
Jul 21, 2019

It is an eye-opening and humbling course. I appreciate how the content was presented through an engaging narrative. It led me to think more deeply about the Holocaust and humanity, for that matter.

51 - 75 of 258 Reviews for The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World

By Gamze S S

Nov 21, 2020

It was a very comprehensive course in the meaning of the Holocaust and its background. I enjoyed taking the course, it was not like ı was taking a lecture ; more like ı was watching a documentry about holocaust.

By Felix C

Jul 7, 2020

A course that provides a panorama of the events behind the Holocaust, with the careful analysis of experts in the matter. Clear lectures and very engaging choices of material and exposition. Highly recommended.

By Jaisha D

May 2, 2020

The course is relatable to correct political scenario and anti-semantic nature in Germany. It connected the dots and I understand a portion of the bigger canvas. I thank the faculties for this great course.

By Maria N

Apr 18, 2020

It's extremely important to know and remember our history. For this porpose I took this course.

The course is well built. The information is given in an understandable, accessible and interesting way.

By Denise G I

Nov 6, 2019

Excelente curso que responde várias dúvidas sobre tudo o que envolve o holocausto. Foi uma tragédia irreparável, mas uma lição, infelizmente, não totalmente aprendida por grande parte da humanidade.

By Diane N

Mar 28, 2016

By Danielle A G A

Jul 22, 2019

By Matthew M

Aug 16, 2020

Very thorough and informative. Having already completed extensive research on the topic, this complimented and re-affirmed previous teachings. I intend to continue and complete the second portion.

By Max W

Aug 9, 2020

A fantastic course, presented by authoritative and passionate instructors. My expectations, although high given the course is presented by Tel Aviv University and Yad Vashem, were far exceeded.

By Karen E

Dec 1, 2019

Excellent. As a History Postgraduate, I found this exceptionally well organised and delivered. Thank you to all those responsible for formatting the course. I will be progressing with part II.

By Rodrigo S M M

Sep 12, 2017

A deeply moving course, which offers any and all that may wish to partake of it, valuable insight and information about one of the greatest calamities ever to befall mankind - The Holocaust.

By Muhammad Z B A M

Feb 26, 2016

Insightful and In-depth introductory of the events leading to the catastrophic events of holocausts coupled with engaging quiz. Additional reading supplements were great as well. Recommended

By Gerlane G O

Jan 15, 2017

Very interesting! With clear and dynamic language, allied to visual resources and relevant readings, we learn more about this tragic and important period of our History. Highly recommend!

By Norman Q V

Jul 14, 2020

Soy profesor de Historia, y con este curso se amplio más mi conocimiento sobre ese gran acontecimiento que dio y sigue dando vueltas al mundo la atrocidades realizadas por los nazis.

By Carlos S F

Fue un curso muy facil de entender, su avance es muy ameno, tiene muchos recursos que enriquecen el aprendizaje, la forma en que está constituido lo hace muy flexible y digerible.

By Pranab B

Feb 7, 2020

I always week when I read or study about the Holocaust but I am happy it got over once for all. Learned so much about how the world shunned them away into darkness. Thank you.

By Krista M

Dec 11, 2016

Even if you know a lot about this period of history, this course is useful. The thoughtful and thorough context, the quality of the material and teaching, were excellent.

By Christopher D M

Jul 11, 2020

This course was well taught and extremely informative. I Highly recommend it and insist that it is necessary education considering our current global political arena.

By Shannon O

Jan 4, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! Having no previous formal education about WW2 or the Holocaust I found all the topics interesting and a great introduction to the

By Angela T

Jul 28, 2017

A really interesting course. The presentation and visuals are particularly good and it is very professionally put together. I am now looking forward to part II.

By joe c

Aug 14, 2016

The information was excellent, as the instructors made me feel like I was part of history. Thank you kindly,

Prof.Joseph Camiolo

TCNJ

Sociology and Anthropology

By Tiahna P

May 1, 2020

Amazing course! The instructor was brilliant and really explained things in a scholarly way. Sometimes it got monotone, but I really encourage you to enroll.

By Vanessa B C

Apr 21, 2020

The course is very well structured and the course material is historically precise, a wonderful approach and perspective to a serious study of the Holocaust.

By Anastasia X

Jan 13, 2017

A great introduction of the prevalent conditions in Europe and Jewish life in relation to the rise of Nazism. Looking forward to Part II with trepidation.

By Lucy I D L R T

Mar 24, 2017

El recordar, el hacer memoria y la necesidad de que los países no vean hacia otro lado. La humanidad en una sola, el dividirnos, siempre nos hará daño.