Back to The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World by Tel Aviv University

The Holocaust was an inconceivable historical event, which forever robbed Western culture of its innocence. As civilized human beings, we fail to understand how events of such horror could have taken place, and how an idea so inhumanly warped could have spread like wildfire through an entire continent, instigating the systematic annihilation of millions of Jews. This free online course was produced jointly by Tel Aviv University and Yad Vashem – the World Holocaust Remembrance Center. The course tracks the history of the Holocaust and has two parts. "The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World" is the first of the two courses and covers the following themes in its three weeks: Week 1: From Hatred to Core Ideology We will try to delve into Nazi ideology and the special place of Jews and Judaism in it. We will also discuss how the National Socialist Party converted the German Democracy of the Weimar Republic into a totalitarian regime within a short period of time, and its meaning for Jews and non-Jewish citizens. Week 2: The World and the Jews in World War II We will try to examine the broader contexts of the Holocaust and to place it, as part of World War 2. In this meeting we will also refer to the vital Jewish world to be found under various Nazi occupations and influences. Week 3: The Isolation Abyss - the Perspective of the Individual We will try to reveal different aspects of Jewish life in the face of the badge of shame, ghettos and segregation, as well as the formation of individual, societies’ and leader’s reactions in the face of a consistent policy of dispossession and discrimination. Once you’ve completed this course, you can continue your learning with The Holocaust - An Introduction (II): The Final Solution (https://www.coursera.org/learn/holocaust-introduction-2/home/welcome) This online course is offered in an innovative, multi-level format, comprising: * Comprehensive lectures by leading researchers from Tel Aviv University and Yad Vashem. * A wealth of voices and viewpoints presented by guest lecturers. * Numerous documents, photos, testimonies and works of art from the time of the Holocaust. * Novel learning experience: Crowd sourcing – involving the learners themselves in the act of collecting and shaping information, via unique, exciting online assignments. REQUIREMENTS: This course is designed for anyone with an interest in the Holocaust, including students, teachers, academics and policy-makers....

D

Mar 28, 2016

A fascinating personal account of the atrocity while the world watched! This class is for everyone there is so much more to learn, thank you for everything you went out of you way to help, God Bless

DA

Jul 22, 2019

It is an eye-opening and humbling course. I appreciate how the content was presented through an engaging narrative. It led me to think more deeply about the Holocaust and humanity, for that matter.

51 - 75 of 149 Reviews for The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World

By Angela T

Jul 28, 2017

A really interesting course. The presentation and visuals are particularly good and it is very professionally put together. I am now looking forward to part II.

By joe c

Aug 14, 2016

The information was excellent, as the instructors made me feel like I was part of history. Thank you kindly,

Prof.Joseph Camiolo

TCNJ

Sociology and Anthropology

By SUSAN S H

Feb 19, 2016

Such learning thank you

By Manfred S

Mar 25, 2016

It is not easy to prepare and present this part of German History without any emotive stance and without condemnation. But you did it brilliant and it was well prepared. I learned a lot and what is most important for me new perspectives with unknown or partial unknown materials. Thank you very much for being a part of this course.

By Tereza F

Feb 28, 2016

nicely done :)

Mar 22, 2018

A very informative course, presented in such a manner that all and everybody will understand the horrors of WW2, and in particular the savage treatment, inflicted by the Nazi's and others, suffered by the Jewish population of Europe. Whilst I was born a Christian I due not practice any form of religion, but I respect all other peoples faith. ~ Steve Winter

By Thomas W S

Jan 14, 2018

Excellent class with excellent instruction. Highly recommended to all.

By Rocío M E L

Feb 11, 2016

Muchas gracias por darme la oportunidad de tan fabuloso curso. En verdad aprendí nuevas cosas. Espero que pronto puedan abrir el curso con subtitulos en español. Será muy reconfortante para los hispanoparlantes que no dominamos muy bien el inglés. Felicidades!!!! Ah, y abran más cursos sobre la cultura judía, en verdad es muy interesante. Quizá podría haber un curso para aprender algo de

By Richard K

Mar 26, 2017

Well done

By Andrew G

Feb 09, 2016

Excellent course. Provided many insights I was not aware of in this harrowing period of history.

By Gerald M

Sep 22, 2017

It was very informative and I told a Jesuit priest of my taking the course and he now is very interested.

By Mara G

Feb 15, 2016

Excelente!!

By Celia M

Aug 11, 2016

An excellent, thought-provoking course - it has changed the way I think about human beings.

By Damon T R

Apr 15, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I learned from this short course. I originally was just taking it to refresh my memory on the Holocaust due to my wife's German and Jewish heritage. I came away with a fresh perspective that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

By Thảo P

Jun 08, 2016

Excellent! Very detailed insights

By Anna N

May 28, 2017

I don't regret taking this course. Shalom.

By Keisha H

Jan 10, 2018

Excellent course to learn.

By Sharon D

Sep 10, 2016

This course was well presented. The additional information provided is helpful in pursuing further studies.

By Lucy I D L R T

Mar 25, 2017

El recordar, el hacer memoria y la necesidad de que los países no vean hacia otro lado. La humanidad en una sola, el dividirnos, siempre nos hará daño.

By Samantha A

Jan 15, 2017

This course is an invaluable educating experience. I am so grateful to Yad Vashem and to all those who provided us with an extraordinary course. I learned so much in these three weeks and look forward to what I can learn in Part 2.

By Anastasia X

Jan 13, 2017

A great introduction of the prevalent conditions in Europe and Jewish life in relation to the rise of Nazism. Looking forward to Part II with trepidation.

By Bogdan P