Back to The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World by Tel Aviv University

The Holocaust was an inconceivable historical event, which forever robbed Western culture of its innocence. As civilized human beings, we fail to understand how events of such horror could have taken place, and how an idea so inhumanly warped could have spread like wildfire through an entire continent, instigating the systematic annihilation of millions of Jews. This free online course was produced jointly by Tel Aviv University and Yad Vashem – the World Holocaust Remembrance Center. The course tracks the history of the Holocaust and has two parts. "The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World" is the first of the two courses and covers the following themes in its three weeks: Week 1: From Hatred to Core Ideology We will try to delve into Nazi ideology and the special place of Jews and Judaism in it. We will also discuss how the National Socialist Party converted the German Democracy of the Weimar Republic into a totalitarian regime within a short period of time, and its meaning for Jews and non-Jewish citizens. Week 2: The World and the Jews in World War II We will try to examine the broader contexts of the Holocaust and to place it, as part of World War 2. In this meeting we will also refer to the vital Jewish world to be found under various Nazi occupations and influences. Week 3: The Isolation Abyss - the Perspective of the Individual We will try to reveal different aspects of Jewish life in the face of the badge of shame, ghettos and segregation, as well as the formation of individual, societies’ and leader’s reactions in the face of a consistent policy of dispossession and discrimination. Once you’ve completed this course, you can continue your learning with The Holocaust - An Introduction (II): The Final Solution (https://www.coursera.org/learn/holocaust-introduction-2/home/welcome) This online course is offered in an innovative, multi-level format, comprising: * Comprehensive lectures by leading researchers from Tel Aviv University and Yad Vashem. * A wealth of voices and viewpoints presented by guest lecturers. * Numerous documents, photos, testimonies and works of art from the time of the Holocaust. * Novel learning experience: Crowd sourcing – involving the learners themselves in the act of collecting and shaping information, via unique, exciting online assignments. REQUIREMENTS: This course is designed for anyone with an interest in the Holocaust, including students, teachers, academics and policy-makers....

D

Mar 28, 2016

A fascinating personal account of the atrocity while the world watched! This class is for everyone there is so much more to learn, thank you for everything you went out of you way to help, God Bless

DA

Jul 22, 2019

It is an eye-opening and humbling course. I appreciate how the content was presented through an engaging narrative. It led me to think more deeply about the Holocaust and humanity, for that matter.

126 - 149 of 149 Reviews for The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World

By Wong P Y

Nov 06, 2018

Passionate professor and lecturer.

By Marcos M

Jul 30, 2017

Es una gran oportunidad para adentrarse en el conocimiento de este acontecimiento histórico, del cual existen muchos prejuicios e informaciones incompletas.

By Varsha S

May 07, 2017

It was an amazing experience. All the resources an the course materials provided were extremely helpful in understanding the course content better. Thank you!

By Cami M

Apr 10, 2016

It was okay....kind of hard to understand the teachers....

By Daisy H

Mar 07, 2016

This course does a great job in explaining where the Nazi ideologies stemmed from, and what the Jews' journey entailed from when Hitler rose to power to the concentration camps.

By Sruti R

Jul 31, 2017

While the video lectures in the course was very interesting and enlightening, I felt that supplementay material and the quizzes could have been designed better to complement the lecture material. That said, I appreciate the efforts that went in to designing this course and enjoyed (though this seems like a wrong word to use, given the horrific nature of the course topic) learning what the course had to offer. I really liked how multiple perspectives were presented and different questions posed, in the process giving us an insight and a little primer into the reality of historical research.

By Argelia S D R S

Jun 02, 2017

me hubiera gustado que estuviera traducido al español

By Marlen T

Feb 16, 2016

If you are wanting to understand the Holocaust, this is an awesome, informative course.

By Aurora R C

Feb 10, 2016

The course is very nice, I love it. But the teacher speaks without intonation. But the course is super great!

By yoav s

May 03, 2018

as an Israeli student you may fell like the things discussed in this course are sometimes common knowledge, especially after learning about the topic in various ways and along quite a few yeas. this course has provided me some new fruits for my thought as well as more historical information that must be examined in context. i enjoyed the way the course is implemented and the historical new insights it has given me .

By Laramie M

Apr 10, 2017

Great course

By Małgorzata J

Dec 09, 2017

Very interesting course. I highly recommend it.

By John D

Feb 06, 2016

Very good content, but technical issues (poor closed captioning, ambiguous question on the exams, a couple of readings that were a little esoteric for an introductory course) led me to mark the course down a star.

By rabinder h

Jun 12, 2017

Gives depth understanding. But there has to be correlation to the current scenario otherwise sometimes history becomes boring. ! Thank you!

By Michael v d G

May 03, 2018

Just an absolutely fascinating course. Not for the faint hearted, though.

By Anukriti G

Oct 23, 2017

I especially enjoyed the aspect of lectures which focused on the skills that are essential for a historian- primary source documents and their analysis.

By chris w

Feb 13, 2016

This course was very educational. I thought the illustrations were helpful. My only negative comment was that the quiz questions were a little confusing at times and difficult to know what answer to choose. At times, multiple answers seemed correct based on the material presented in the lessons. I do plan to take Part 2.

By Linde

Feb 03, 2016

Very interesting!

By Minna M

Nov 19, 2016

The lectures were not too advanced to understand and held a very high standard. My only critique is that the language of the lecturers was sometimes difficult to understand, which at times caused me some confusion. I will recommend this course to others and I enjoyed taking it.

By David W

Jan 22, 2017

Impressive study....

By Mitali S

Jun 02, 2019

Very good , definitely recommended

By Michelle M

Jan 01, 2019

Fairly good course, but lacked in style, approach and content. Did not meet my expectations.

By Ms. S C

May 24, 2017

It could have been more informative than it was lot of this i already learned in a class i took in highschool

By Hunter D P

Feb 13, 2016

This is an amazing, interesting course! I never thought that learning about Hitler and the origins of the Holocaust would become an interest, but it's really great! And the teacher/professor explains it so well!