Back to HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers by Johns Hopkins University

Do you realize that the only functionality of a web application that the user directly interacts with is through the web page? Implement it poorly and, to the user, the server-side becomes irrelevant! Today’s user expects a lot out of the web page: it has to load fast, expose the desired service, and be comfortable to view on all devices: from a desktop computers to tablets and mobile phones. In this course, we will learn the basic tools that every web page coder needs to know. We will start from the ground up by learning how to implement modern web pages with HTML and CSS. We will then advance to learning how to code our pages such that its components rearrange and resize themselves automatically based on the size of the user’s screen. You’ll be able to code up a web page that will be just as useful on a mobile phone as on a desktop computer. No “pinch and zoom” required! Last but certainly not least, we will get a thorough introduction to the most ubiquitous, popular, and incredibly powerful language of the web: Javascript. Using Javascript, you will be able to build a fully functional web application that utilizes Ajax to expose server-side functionality and data to the end user....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

Actually the best online course i hv ever learnt,especially the professor yaakov is quiet outstanding.And a field trip in a online course sounds rare and good!!Thank You Coursera and yakkov for this!!

SW
Mar 14, 2016

This was a really great course, i learned so much, and it was really interesting and very well explained. I will be taking any more courses done by Yaakov! Really excellent course, thank you so much.

51 - 75 of 4,409 Reviews for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

By Ang K J

Jan 4, 2021

Course goes too fast at the end, too much content too quickly

By Rachele G

Jan 24, 2021

I felt like the course is very outdated and not up to date.

By Vahid M

Apr 16, 2021

It's outdated and must update with new tutorials.

By Cristhyan D B I

Dec 24, 2020

The course starts well with html and css, but once it gets to javascript it goes downhill.

From that part it just shows all the code for a website and quickly explains what that code does but never bothers actually teaching these concepts, Also it's outdated.

By Jordan L

Mar 25, 2020

out of date. git hub is completely different than the video and it's complicated trying to correlate it

By Lisa M

Aug 13, 2020

not very good for beginners

By A R

Mar 7, 2016

I didnt like this course. I found it to be confusing. Compared to other CSS JS HTML Courses such as the one from Michigan or Hong Kong Universities which are quite clear and crispt and refreshing, this seems like a work in progress. Confusing, convoluted, odd.

HTML CSS JS Are Actually not very difficult.

This course makes u question your own name. Makes you think basic math is Calculus. It needs work. Lots and Lots of work. I cant recommend it to anyone who is serious about learning JS HTML or CSS. It accomplishes the exact opposite.

With regards to that Chinese Restaurant field trip. What the hell man? Is this a joke? Have the lady call 1800 Web . Com and have a cookie cutter just add water web site. This segment is silly.

The rest of the segments? Confusing.

By Steve R

Jul 10, 2021

This course is woefully out of date - 6 years old (2015). Some of the key software is very old (e.g., Bootstrap 3 has been superseded by BS4 and that will soon be replaced by BS5). Furthermore Google has made security updates which break browser functionality in coding assignments.

Coursera - you need to do a better job in ensuring courses offered are reasonably up to date.

By Marianne Z

Oct 29, 2020

Instructions are out of date and user has to toggle between FAQs, the course, and their own work, which becomes very confusing. Programs needed are not free (for example, sublime).

Also, the instructor is using a Mac and all examples shown are on a Mac, which makes it quite difficult for Windows users.

By XTian P

Feb 27, 2021

Out of date. Couldn't even get pass the environment setup without spending time to research the differences of the examples using github and how github works now.

By Olivier T

Nov 17, 2020

I can NOT un-enroll!!!! Why? Bad web site... Please fix it!

By Benico v d W

Dec 26, 2016

The HTML, CSS and javascript parts are VERY enjoyable. The videos are nice and short and Yaakov is an extremely good presenter with lots of enthusiasm. There are a lot of review questions which builds up confidence. I personally found the ajax part to be over my head - because we are jumping into the code without a basic conceptual understanding of what the structures in the axaj wants to achieve. Thank you however for the explanatory links to the w3school ajax pages. I thoroughly enjoyed the course - and appreciate the manner in which you are making the course materials available. I also learned to use git in the process and this has been extremely valuable.

By Marcos I

Jan 31, 2021

Excelent course! The instructor is amazing and funny, I really enjoy every class, specially the tour to the restaurant, the only coin I found is a little old (on the css part we work with Bootsrap 3 and currently exist Bo5) but the classes are practice, easy to follow and useful. I really recoment this course for people who want to start in the web development and doesnt know how!

By Vladimir P

Feb 22, 2021

Some concepts for Javascript were a bit confusing and required me to find outside resources for explanations, otherwise a clear course.

I did not like that the final 2 JS projects weren't to do with creating pages, but editing created code.

By Odvar D D

Feb 26, 2021

The HTML and CSS sections of this course are good—I was able to follow most of it and learn and retain the concepts. The JavaSCript portion, for me, is much harder to grasp. In my case, I need deeper and more detailed explanations for me to grasp it and understand—the discussion forums are not helpful because either the replies take long (if any) to be immediately helpful or the replies don't really answer the questions. I think for JavaScript, an in-person class would be better or access to a tutor would be best. I'm not able to complete this course because you have to complete all HTML, CSS, and JavaSCript sections. I'm not able to complete the Javascript section because I don't understand it. So I recommend taking each coding language as a separate course.

By Gianluca G

Oct 26, 2016

Lessons on html and css are very good, better than other coursera classes, so I suggest you to give a look at those. In general, the teacher is very good, even though I found the javascript part less deepen. A week, and partially the last week, are dedicated to the construction of a restaturant site. Unfortunately, the student role is pretty passive: you'll just look the teacher at work, you'll not build a site in this course. I skipped much of those lessons. But the most disappointing point is for me the excessive simplicity of the assignments. The assignments are the primary reason why I decided to take a MOOC instaed of simply reading a book. I expected much (interesting) assignments and much more practice...

By Adomas G

Nov 9, 2020

Too fast, too difficult! Not enough practice.

Its good for HTML and CSS because I was already familiar with those. JS first part of lectures also very informative and usefull because i was familiar with it already.

However; when it came to teaching things I didn't already know, like Ajax or bootstrap, the course suddenly became way too difficult. Too fast, too convoluded, very excelent explanations, bet way too many of them at the same time.

Would only recoment for those already familiar with html, css bootstrap, js, ajax. Or if you're familiar with html / css / js then take a look at weeks 1/2/4 respectively.

By Efuah C F

May 5, 2021

I really wanted to rate it 2.5 stars. I think the html and css sections were good. And overall the course gave you a good introduction to real life applications eg github, code editor, terminal etc. Many other courses don’t do this. That’s my main reason for my rating.

However, the course really fell short in the JavaScript section. It was very rushed and assumed you had some previous knowledge. As a somewhat beginner, I found myself having to go to YouTube and elsewhere to get the help I needed. The code was also pretty outdated in style. An updated course would be greatly appreciated!

By Carolyn C

Jan 18, 2021

The course was overall packed with a lot of good information, but was rushed, covered a lot of topics but didn’t seem thorough with most of them. There were some expectations that you were supposed to know some coding basics, especially in regards to JavaScript prior to this course, when it was advertised as something you can start with as a complete beginner. The assignments were alright, though it didn’t seem enough to make me feel like I retained the information. There should have been more practice assignments similar to the practice quizzes throughout the course.

By Neha S

Dec 30, 2020

I enjoyed learning in this course, Mr. Yaakov has presented concepts in clear.. I however am giving an ok rating, because of the fact that the PPT should be updated as per new versions of applications used in this course. For me it was Week 4 & Week 5 that should have been the most learning, but in Week 5 the concept's where not much explained and just some concepts where brushed thru to complete assignment.

I would surely recommend this course to newbie web developers, as this covers the basics of HTML and CSS very well. Ajax and Javascript not so much good.

By Ashley N

Jul 11, 2019

The course was okay but I didn't like that the only time we did any coding was at the end of each week. It made it hard to really learn/retain the content we were being shown during the week/module, and also made it overall less engaging/fun. I would have much preferred small assignments instead of practice quizzes, and to have also completed the class with a final project I could show others. I also found the instructions confusion at several points in later modules.

By SHREYANSH K

Jun 6, 2020

this is a good course but in last you know that last week is rough in this course and the site used is made very earlier which creates many problems cause today's the version is very different and i would recommend to take a course which is released in 2019 or later cause this is very old one 2016 so you can think how much problems i have faced to do this. please upgrade the course as soon as possible

By yasin y

Feb 26, 2021

Instructor explains well, course is well structured, contents can be followed easily but outdated content such as Github etc. If you're a beginner to HTML, CSS, and Java Script, this isn't for you. You should learn beginner videos (Html, Css and Javascript) before starting this course.

By Svetlana Z

Jan 25, 2021

Surely not for beginners, such as I am. And in the beginning of 4th week the lecturer says that if you are new to JavaScript, you should go and learn the basics BY YOURSELF. I don't think it's appropriate to do so. So now I'm stuck...

By GABRIELE S

Jan 31, 2021

In the last two weeks many topics have been taken for granted, and others dealt with very quickly without in-depth analysis, all in all a decent course.