Back to HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers by Johns Hopkins University

Do you realize that the only functionality of a web application that the user directly interacts with is through the web page? Implement it poorly and, to the user, the server-side becomes irrelevant! Today’s user expects a lot out of the web page: it has to load fast, expose the desired service, and be comfortable to view on all devices: from a desktop computers to tablets and mobile phones. In this course, we will learn the basic tools that every web page coder needs to know. We will start from the ground up by learning how to implement modern web pages with HTML and CSS. We will then advance to learning how to code our pages such that its components rearrange and resize themselves automatically based on the size of the user’s screen. You’ll be able to code up a web page that will be just as useful on a mobile phone as on a desktop computer. No “pinch and zoom” required! Last but certainly not least, we will get a thorough introduction to the most ubiquitous, popular, and incredibly powerful language of the web: Javascript. Using Javascript, you will be able to build a fully functional web application that utilizes Ajax to expose server-side functionality and data to the end user....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

Actually the best online course i hv ever learnt,especially the professor yaakov is quiet outstanding.And a field trip in a online course sounds rare and good!!Thank You Coursera and yakkov for this!!

AT
Jul 17, 2021

This was a really great course, i learned so much, and it was really interesting and very well explained.And the field trip was good .Thank you Coursera and Yaakov Chaikin for this wonderful course !

51 - 75 of 4,052 Reviews for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

By Marcos I

Jan 31, 2021

Excelent course! The instructor is amazing and funny, I really enjoy every class, specially the tour to the restaurant, the only coin I found is a little old (on the css part we work with Bootsrap 3 and currently exist Bo5) but the classes are practice, easy to follow and useful. I really recoment this course for people who want to start in the web development and doesnt know how!

By Vladimir P

Feb 22, 2021

Some concepts for Javascript were a bit confusing and required me to find outside resources for explanations, otherwise a clear course.

I did not like that the final 2 JS projects weren't to do with creating pages, but editing created code.

By Kurtis G

Jun 24, 2020

HTML and CSS modules were great for a beginner like myself. JavaScript (+AJAX) was a little rushed however and I could have benefited from a slightly slower progression and a few more, more involved assignments covering JavaScript & AJAX topics/concepts in smaller chunks . From what I've heard, the JavaScript portion is a little out of date in some aspects as well.

The course nudges you towards Yaakov's Coursera Specialization on Angular JS. I feel it should at least briefly acknowledge that currently React is a more common JavaScript framework, and new learners may be better off directing their attention to learning it instead of Angular JS.

All-in-all, still a good course. Yaakov is a fun and likable instructor. I feel that I now have a good grasp of HTML and CSS but will be seeking further understanding on the basics of JavaScript as well as some more advanced CSS.

By Gianluca G

Oct 26, 2016

Lessons on html and css are very good, better than other coursera classes, so I suggest you to give a look at those. In general, the teacher is very good, even though I found the javascript part less deepen. A week, and partially the last week, are dedicated to the construction of a restaturant site. Unfortunately, the student role is pretty passive: you'll just look the teacher at work, you'll not build a site in this course. I skipped much of those lessons. But the most disappointing point is for me the excessive simplicity of the assignments. The assignments are the primary reason why I decided to take a MOOC instaed of simply reading a book. I expected much (interesting) assignments and much more practice...

By Nguyen T L

Feb 17, 2021

Course was great. But these are its flaws: not really fit for beginners; too fast-paced and leave out the important parts for students to figure out themselves; module 5 was exceptionally difficult, one could not simply understand what's going on unless they have some previous knowledge on the subject; github deployment was made unnecessarily complicated as the professor's instruction on environment setting was too outdated (over 5 years ago). Having said that, if you already have experience on Javascript, module 4 and 5 would help you a lot to revise and strengthen what you know. Greatly recommended. Big thanks to Yaakov Chaikin for this great course.

By Adomas G

Nov 9, 2020

Too fast, too difficult! Not enough practice.

Its good for HTML and CSS because I was already familiar with those. JS first part of lectures also very informative and usefull because i was familiar with it already.

However; when it came to teaching things I didn't already know, like Ajax or bootstrap, the course suddenly became way too difficult. Too fast, too convoluded, very excelent explanations, bet way too many of them at the same time.

Would only recoment for those already familiar with html, css bootstrap, js, ajax. Or if you're familiar with html / css / js then take a look at weeks 1/2/4 respectively.

By Carolyn C

Jan 18, 2021

The course was overall packed with a lot of good information, but was rushed, covered a lot of topics but didn’t seem thorough with most of them. There were some expectations that you were supposed to know some coding basics, especially in regards to JavaScript prior to this course, when it was advertised as something you can start with as a complete beginner. The assignments were alright, though it didn’t seem enough to make me feel like I retained the information. There should have been more practice assignments similar to the practice quizzes throughout the course.

By Neha S

Dec 30, 2020

I enjoyed learning in this course, Mr. Yaakov has presented concepts in clear.. I however am giving an ok rating, because of the fact that the PPT should be updated as per new versions of applications used in this course. For me it was Week 4 & Week 5 that should have been the most learning, but in Week 5 the concept's where not much explained and just some concepts where brushed thru to complete assignment.

I would surely recommend this course to newbie web developers, as this covers the basics of HTML and CSS very well. Ajax and Javascript not so much good.

By Ashley N

Jul 11, 2019

The course was okay but I didn't like that the only time we did any coding was at the end of each week. It made it hard to really learn/retain the content we were being shown during the week/module, and also made it overall less engaging/fun. I would have much preferred small assignments instead of practice quizzes, and to have also completed the class with a final project I could show others. I also found the instructions confusion at several points in later modules.

By SHREYANSH K

Jun 6, 2020

this is a good course but in last you know that last week is rough in this course and the site used is made very earlier which creates many problems cause today's the version is very different and i would recommend to take a course which is released in 2019 or later cause this is very old one 2016 so you can think how much problems i have faced to do this. please upgrade the course as soon as possible

By yasin y

Feb 26, 2021

Instructor explains well, course is well structured, contents can be followed easily but outdated content such as Github etc. If you're a beginner to HTML, CSS, and Java Script, this isn't for you. You should learn beginner videos (Html, Css and Javascript) before starting this course.

By Svetlana Z

Jan 25, 2021

Surely not for beginners, such as I am. And in the beginning of 4th week the lecturer says that if you are new to JavaScript, you should go and learn the basics BY YOURSELF. I don't think it's appropriate to do so. So now I'm stuck...

By GABRIELE S

Jan 31, 2021

In the last two weeks many topics have been taken for granted, and others dealt with very quickly without in-depth analysis, all in all a decent course.

By Diego G M

Jan 29, 2021

Teaches you the basics on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. However, many parts of the course are outdated. I only recommend the first two parts of the course.

By Ang K J

Jan 4, 2021

Course goes too fast at the end, too much content too quickly

By Rachele G

Jan 24, 2021

I felt like the course is very outdated and not up to date.

By Vahid M

Apr 16, 2021

It's outdated and must update with new tutorials.

By Lydia K

Jul 3, 2020

The HTML and CSS sections were good, especially for beginners. I took other HTML/CSS courses before and struggled with some specific concepts that this course was able to explain in a way I could understand. However, the Javascript section was very poorly taught. I can say that I have no idea about Javascript even after barely passing Weeks 4 and 5.

I think the way it was presented didn't really teach you how to do things or help you understand concepts, but rather, "This is what we need to do for this specific project, just memorize what I'm doing without any explanations for why I am doing what I am doing," in addition to the fact that you only get one coding activity per week - the final assignments. I think that the course really needs to have a system where students regularly are practicing their code they are learning, not just learn ~20 lessons and have a big assignment at the end. Maybe some students can learn through rote memorization, but I feel many students, including myself, would struggle because we aren't being taught the actual concepts.

I would honestly say that maybe after some self-study on HTML/CSS and even JS would be a better foundation, and then maybe take this course once you know the fundamentals, because if you are anything like me, you'll just need to go back to self-study for JS to understand the basics after taking this course.

By Nikolai H

May 23, 2021

5 years out of date; you are directed to the FAQ to solve some issues related to this, but a big chunk of this course is based on Bootstrap 1, when the version number is now Bootstrap 5, and many of the things he teaches have changed completely. You'll have unlearn some of your notes from that segment.

You are not told until Week 4 that you are expected to have basic programming experience to understand the Javascript portion, and that you will struggle if you don't. He suggests finding a basic programming tutorial somewhere, but gives no specific resources. The basics I was able to find online did not help me with what he was teaching, and it was extremely frustrating. I was barely able to finish the course. In a course that is otherwise for absolute beginners, that prerequisite should have been stated up front.

Even if it was up to date, I would hesitate to rate this course well. I learned a fair amount in the HTML & CSS segments, and it was useful to see his process for building an actual website, but there were many convoluted explanations even then. And frankly I'm really annoyed that I was only told I need a programming background after already investing 3+ weeks in this course - past the refund threshold, for those paying for certificates. I would have chosen a different course if I'd known.

By Anik R

May 3, 2020

I would be very very happy if i could give 5 star to this course beacuse the instructor is awesome and he explained things beautifully but THE COURSE IS PRETTY OUTDATED.

I am struggling from the beginning this course as the course is recorded in 2015 or 2016 now github changes a lot,somehow I figured out Github but the main problem is Bootstrap.Oh man thats really frushtating week 3.They used bootstrap version 1 but in 2020 bootstrap 4.3.1 is running . In 2020 these are not Acceptable

By Sahil J

Aug 9, 2020

Its very confusing when you dont have same options and things dont happen the same way

By zeenat p

Jan 7, 2021

Some issue in completion of this course.....can u plz hlp me??

By Jayden O

Feb 11, 2021

jumps really fast with out much explanation

By Aldo R A A

Jul 8, 2020

Very outdated

By Bogdan C

Apr 10, 2020

Obsolete. You are required to install a program called Node, in the video there are n steps, in reality, there are n+x steps. When he checks the version he has 4.something, I have 12.something. Not to mention that the program comes with all sort of other things that are installed (that are not in the video) - that I have no idea what they are. The GitHub current layout does not match the video, and at some point, you are required to press a button that no longer exists. Bottom line, the course is obsolete and don't trust that the things the software was supposed to do 5 years ago still does today.