Back to HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers by Johns Hopkins University

Do you realize that the only functionality of a web application that the user directly interacts with is through the web page? Implement it poorly and, to the user, the server-side becomes irrelevant! Today’s user expects a lot out of the web page: it has to load fast, expose the desired service, and be comfortable to view on all devices: from a desktop computers to tablets and mobile phones. In this course, we will learn the basic tools that every web page coder needs to know. We will start from the ground up by learning how to implement modern web pages with HTML and CSS. We will then advance to learning how to code our pages such that its components rearrange and resize themselves automatically based on the size of the user’s screen. You’ll be able to code up a web page that will be just as useful on a mobile phone as on a desktop computer. No “pinch and zoom” required! Last but certainly not least, we will get a thorough introduction to the most ubiquitous, popular, and incredibly powerful language of the web: Javascript. Using Javascript, you will be able to build a fully functional web application that utilizes Ajax to expose server-side functionality and data to the end user....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

Actually the best online course i hv ever learnt,especially the professor yaakov is quiet outstanding.And a field trip in a online course sounds rare and good!!Thank You Coursera and yakkov for this!!

SW
Mar 14, 2016

This was a really great course, i learned so much, and it was really interesting and very well explained. I will be taking any more courses done by Yaakov! Really excellent course, thank you so much.

176 - 200 of 4,311 Reviews for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Apr 5, 2021

I can't work with it

By Qubit 1

Apr 26, 2021

Great Course

By 김재우

Apr 8, 2021

good

By Odvar D D

Feb 26, 2021

The HTML and CSS sections of this course are good—I was able to follow most of it and learn and retain the concepts. The JavaSCript portion, for me, is much harder to grasp. In my case, I need deeper and more detailed explanations for me to grasp it and understand—the discussion forums are not helpful because either the replies take long (if any) to be immediately helpful or the replies don't really answer the questions. I think for JavaScript, an in-person class would be better or access to a tutor would be best. I'm not able to complete this course because you have to complete all HTML, CSS, and JavaSCript sections. I'm not able to complete the Javascript section because I don't understand it. So I recommend taking each coding language as a separate course.

By Efuah C F

May 5, 2021

I really wanted to rate it 2.5 stars. I think the html and css sections were good. And overall the course gave you a good introduction to real life applications eg github, code editor, terminal etc. Many other courses don’t do this. That’s my main reason for my rating.

However, the course really fell short in the JavaScript section. It was very rushed and assumed you had some previous knowledge. As a somewhat beginner, I found myself having to go to YouTube and elsewhere to get the help I needed. The code was also pretty outdated in style. An updated course would be greatly appreciated!

By Bruno E a

Dec 30, 2020

The courses in this catalog need to be revamped as they're out of date. And some of the terms and methodologies used in some of the programming languages have become redundant.

By Александр В А

Jan 29, 2021

Материал устарел. Примеры приводятся не соответствующие правилам хорошего стиля кодирования. Потом переучивать замучаешься.

By Brandon L

May 30, 2021

Informational but not updated so you spend a great deal of time troubleshooting. Course should be updated or replaced.

By Zafar

Nov 23, 2020

course is well designed for gaining basic knowledge of web dev. i highly recommend this course to begiers .

By Nur B Y

Oct 28, 2020

Outdated videos + instructor gives only commands for mac, you have to find pc commends by yourself.

By Mohanad A

Nov 2, 2020

The course good teach you a lot of fundamentals and basics but it's also outdated

By Caleb O

Nov 30, 2020

The course is really nice. The only thing is that it ain't updated.

By luis m p

Oct 27, 2020

good content but outdated and confusing, not very good explanation

By Mayur S

Jan 11, 2021

Good but everything is just superficial knowledge.

By Gokulan.S.S g

Nov 30, 2020

good knowledge

By Shahzeb M

Oct 4, 2020

Hardly consider this a beginner course. I have some experience programming in other languages so it was not unbearable but there was not nearly enough practice problems or hands on activities to get you a strong understanding of front end development. The amount of time spent on the CSS lessons was too short and at times very confusing and hectic. The JavaScript even more so. There were times where the instructor said “I won’t go into this because it’s something you should understand already”. This was unhelpful as the course is marketed for beginners. I would expect a beginner course to teach everything we should know for the basics. The course just felt outdated and abandoned by the instructors or TA. If you want the certificate, go for it. If you want a real understanding of front end development and an instructor who will teach you the ins and outs of it for a beginner, I recommend looking elsewhere.

By Safei e A A A

Dec 23, 2019

The Course Material is outdated, HTML and CSS are fine, not the easiest tutorial but with a little extra effort, you will make your way through.

When it comes to bootstrap, it is outdated using version 3 while now it is on 4.x

The discussions and forms are helpful to help you get over some stuff.

Js content is old, it does not teach you the basics since it depends on the fact that you are already familiar with programming, yet it does not teach you the advanced Js or the most updated version ES6.

Week 5 about Ajax, Json and some Js code was a total mess, had to pause look for other resources to understand those topics then reverted back to the assignment right away.

There is some good effort made here, but there is always room for improvement.

I believe the assignments were not that challenging, and the quizzes were just repetitive and did not add much value

By Usama A

Aug 5, 2020

Aug 2020 review:

1- The course is outdated, the bootstrap version is old, the jquery files are old, if you have the new versions. you can't go on with the same codes in the lectures.

2- I thought coursera is an ad-free platform! the course of full of what I call "personal ads"!

3- some codes are written in the projects without being recorded in the videos! you just open the next video and :OMG where did it come from?

4- Part 5 was ambiguous for me, I needed external resources and youtube videos just to know what is going here.

5- The method of just "I've prepared some code" and commenting on it is really annoying.

6- The introduction to JavaScript week was good as an idea, but too much information in too little time.

Mar 9, 2021

There is not much content and even that is only explored shallowly. Additionally, the content is inflated. For instance, 30 minutes of the allocated time for assignments consists of laughable 1-2 multiple choice questions. The final test for each week is just a collection of previously answered multiple choice tests.

Also you have to endure a lot of shameless plugs and self-congratulation by the author, which is annoying.

I'll give two stars because you actually learn a tiny bit, even though it might not be a pleasant experience.

By Dane E

The course if outdated--you have to teach yourself a bunch of Bootstrap because the lectures are based on an earlier version. The Javascript section of the course doesn't give much hands-on experience with JS at all. I recommend just teaching yourself through the Duckett texts suggested in the course.

By jeimmy a

Oct 26, 2020

no esta actualizado para seguir los pasos adecuados y seguir avanzando en el aprendizaje pues ya lleva mucho rato desactualizado.. y por cosas que a uno como aprendiz no le aparece o no le sale igual uno se estanca y por mas que lo intente no logre pasar de mas de hasta donde yo logre avanzar

By Sara S

Sep 1, 2020

The course is very thorough, it is explained at a university level, but the content is outdated and many elements don't exist in css or javascript anymore which made me spend more time finding the new versions of the code than actually completing the course.

By Kshitiz A

Apr 9, 2021

This course teaches nothing, he just copy pastes the code. He doesn't explain why he does that.

He uses so many technical jargons but doesn't explain it in lay man terms.

Worst course I have taken so far. Not recommended at all.