Back to HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers by Johns Hopkins University

Do you realize that the only functionality of a web application that the user directly interacts with is through the web page? Implement it poorly and, to the user, the server-side becomes irrelevant! Today’s user expects a lot out of the web page: it has to load fast, expose the desired service, and be comfortable to view on all devices: from a desktop computers to tablets and mobile phones. In this course, we will learn the basic tools that every web page coder needs to know. We will start from the ground up by learning how to implement modern web pages with HTML and CSS. We will then advance to learning how to code our pages such that its components rearrange and resize themselves automatically based on the size of the user’s screen. You’ll be able to code up a web page that will be just as useful on a mobile phone as on a desktop computer. No “pinch and zoom” required! Last but certainly not least, we will get a thorough introduction to the most ubiquitous, popular, and incredibly powerful language of the web: Javascript. Using Javascript, you will be able to build a fully functional web application that utilizes Ajax to expose server-side functionality and data to the end user....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

Actually the best online course i hv ever learnt,especially the professor yaakov is quiet outstanding.And a field trip in a online course sounds rare and good!!Thank You Coursera and yakkov for this!!

YV

Many thanks to the creators of this course! It was a very solid refresher for me, even though I have spent in web development a few years by now. I thoroughly enjoyed every lesson. Thank you, Yaakov!

3226 - 3250 of 3,814 Reviews for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

By Leonardo M

Jul 22, 2020

I think this course fulfills its purpose in providing a comprehensive introduction to the three basic web development components, and showing the ways they are implemented through a real project. The problem is that, from what I can tell, this course is almost 5 years old and there doesn't seem to be any kind of update or revision, many times I got errors or bugs in my test code while following the lectures, with no way of telling if I did something wrong or something changed in the implementation. Also, the coding assignments felt way too simple for the amount of content that was presented in each module, even without having a good grasp of the concepts it's easy to get a 100 since the comments basically hold your hand through the code.

In general, for someone like me who had basic knowledge of HTML and no prior experience with CSS and Javascript, I got what I expected and I feel much more confident in learning more about web development, but the course definitely shows its age, so there may be better options nowadays.

By Dominik M

Mar 17, 2016

This course was great in terms of material composition and the lecturer! I learned a lot and will definitely recommend it to others. I'm also taking the AngularJS course, because I really liked this one!

On the down side: in my opinion, the assignments (especially week 3 & 4) could be more challenging, as the course is targetted at web developers, so people familiar with coding. I found them quite easy. I understand that the last assignment was aimed mostly at forcing students to view all the lectures or get familiar with the provided code, but doing something bigger for the assignment (or at least without such obvious hints) would be a nice challenge and bring more value to the certificate, I think.

Splitting week 4 into two with separate assignments is also worth considering, as there was a lot of material covered in the last week, in my opinion (but I may be biased, as I went through the last week in a hurry, because I was late with my assignment).

By AKHILESH S

May 3, 2020

Cons: 'let' and 'const', which are important concepts of JavaScript haven't been discussed. Differennce between window and global isn't discussed but used interchangeably. Assignments of module 4 and 5 are most of the part easy, they could be made a bit harder. I felt that Ajax code could be made easier to understand. I gave extra 3x time just to understand the Ajax from other sources and then the ajax code present here.

Pros: Apart from all the cons mentioned above it is nevertheless a recommended front-end web development course for beginners. You will learn HTML, CSS, bootstrap, git(hub), JavaScript, ajax, http, a bit of jQuery, DOM, etc. Just an advice to the students: don't be afraid of using external resources to understand the concepts better, specially Ajax, document, window/global, Http requests, rest API and jQuery. w3schools and MDN are the go-to sites for this course.

By Jackson D

Jul 24, 2020

I have already undertaken a primer course like this through Coursera but found this one to go into more of the specific terminologies and concepts at a granular level. I thought overall the pacing was good and the application to a real world application in the form of a restaurant website was helpful in grounding the concepts. I have marked the course down a star because some of the information relating to Bootstrap is now very much out of date. There are a number of elements that no longer function the same as the Bootstrap framework has moved on quite a bit (4.5 at time of writing) and this course has not been updated to account for those changes. I found the odd piece of javascript didn't function quite as it should as well, also probably due to the age of this course. I found the Week 5 module quite difficult but would say I've learned a lot from this course.

By Khadidja A

Nov 28, 2020

This course is a very good introduction to web development, and for a good reason too. It covers a wide range of topics and concepts in a short time. I don't think it's suitable for a total beginner in programming.

Sometimes it felt overwhelming - trying to keep up with the instructor's pace. I couldn't finish the course in five weeks, by the way, although I studied every day. That's because I felt I didn't have the chance to practice coding enough, and I tried to practice on my own.

If I may suggest an addition to the course, it'll be some scattered tiny coding exercises in the quizzes maybe. I believe this will give learners more confidence and help them to test their knowledge and skill.

By Benico v d W

Dec 26, 2016

The HTML, CSS and javascript parts are VERY enjoyable. The videos are nice and short and Yaakov is an extremely good presenter with lots of enthusiasm. There are a lot of review questions which builds up confidence. I personally found the ajax part to be over my head - because we are jumping into the code without a basic conceptual understanding of what the structures in the axaj wants to achieve. Thank you however for the explanatory links to the w3school ajax pages. I thoroughly enjoyed the course - and appreciate the manner in which you are making the course materials available. I also learned to use git in the process and this has been extremely valuable.

By Daniel L

Feb 28, 2017

This is a very good introduction to HTML, CSS and at some extent to Javascript.

The first two topics were very well explained in details. The classes had a good pace and every topic was made very clear. The exercises at the end were a good challenge that matched the level of the course and gave us that extra incentive to push a little bit beyond.

The Javascript part was a little faster than the previous two topics (HTML and CSS). If only one thing should be corrected at this course I'd say that the same pace should be followed for Javascript.

I'd definitely recommend this course as a great introduction and one of the best courses I've taken at Coursera so far.

By Jeff W

Mar 4, 2016

The class is very well put together and the instructor does a great job explaining things. I enrolled in this class just to see how things worked on coursera and wanted to do that with a simple starter style course.

Personally I think that this course should have stayed away from ui-toolkits and js frameworks (maybe just using something like normalize.css or reset.css). Maybe going into more things like @imports and writing maintainable html. css, and javascript. Anyway, it is minor i guess because in the end you still had to do some overriding of styles so you did write some of your own css.

All-in-all it was a fun first course for me on coursera.

By Teimuraz J

Aug 2, 2020

Overall, it's a great course with a clear and right way of teaching where you can learn some programming basics and understanding how the web development works (example of creating a web site for a real customer). But unfortunately, the 4th and especially the 5th week (with AJAX) were explained superficially and too briefly (it was quite hard to follow at some moments). So, the course is a good starting point but don't expect to start Web Development career after it

And also be aware that there are some things missing which you're supposed to learn in other courses (AngularJS, Ruby on Rails for web applications and etc.).

By Quang U T

May 22, 2020

The course covered the HTML and CSS part quite well with the third week project tying up everything with BootStrap. The remaining weeks on JavaScript and Ajax leave much to be desired.

The content was skimmed through, and the final assignments were ridiculously easy and do not really force the students to explore and research more unlike the first three weeks. I took one star off because of that.

Overall, decent course with a very good lecturer who is thorough and detailed in his explanation. Some improvement on the JavaScript part would enhance this course further.

By Paul G

Oct 18, 2016

Overall very nice job! Rated a 4 because I feel the JavaScript was too rushed. I think the final usage of JavaScript should be reviewed with an eye toward a beginner programmer.

I liked the website development theme and interview with the restaurant owner, but that disappeared along the way. Maybe the final week, instead of making the special random, could be something the owner changes that the code has to change. Perhaps that change could involve a change to HTML, CSS and JavaScript, although that might be ambitious.

Again, nice job. Learned quite a bit.

By Xin

Dec 15, 2016

like everyone said this is awesome course. I just want to mention several things it can improved.

1. assignments are too easy such that you can not really learn much through finish it.

2. this course contains fair amount of content but don't go much detail into each topic especially the final week class video. it could have contain much more detail about how to implement the code and the mechanism behind it. Unfortunately that part is missing so you can only get a very sketchy whole pic and in the end what you learned from that part is just some funky words.

By Linus R

Apr 1, 2021

Very good and detailed explanations in the html css part. I liked the quizzes, videos and practical execises a lot. Javascript in Week 4 and 5 was a harder topic and the amoung of knowledge per time increased suddely a lot too. The quizzes were still managable, but not satisfing learning in second half. I will go back to those videos in time but i couldn´t keep up there. Trail and errored the last 2 weeks with lots of pain.

But all in all good first online learning expierience!

Wondering if the technologies are becomeing outdated somewhat.

By Lucas N R

Mar 17, 2016

First of all the instructor had a really well put together material and equipment (sound was clear, the slides made sense, there was live coding in some lectures).

The assignments where challenging enough in weeks 1, 2, and 3.

For the 4th week however, I found the assignment a little difficult due to lack of explanation caused, in my opinion, by the fact that the we only had one week to introduce JavaScript and ajax.

Overall I definitely recommend this course to someone trying to enter the web development scene

By RIFQIANDI C P

Aug 25, 2020

I could understand what's going on from week 1 - 4 moduls, but having a lot of hard times for the 5 & 6 moduls. I'm not sure why, maybe it's simply because they were hard to study.. it felt like everything went so fast there, there were some stuff that I couldn't understand, but was explained pretty quick. Or it's probably also because english isn't my language? So, I can't really blame.

Overall, I enjoyed the course a lot!

I was really happy, especially to understand Git's, CSS, & bootstrap's basic.

By Megha G

Oct 12, 2016

This was a great course and gave me a very good starting point for HTML, CSS and JS. The only negative I found was that the JS module seemed a bit rushed and the assignments at the end of last two modules didn't really test my understanding of JS concepts very well. They were too simple because the starter code had a lot of things already written out. Making them more barebones and having the student fill out most of the details would be a more hands-on and useful activity in my opinion.

By Andrew C

May 11, 2016

A good course for beginners, consisting mainly of following along as the instructor demonstrates code. The assignments are short and largely restricted to modifying supplied code. This is a necessary restriction of the peer-review grading process: the problem must be highly constrained in order for an untrained person to quickly grade it. You could certainly learn a lot by completing extra examples from a book or other resources, but this is not required to pass the course.

By Jean L N

Oct 5, 2016

A good course! I really had fun with this course. Mr. Chaikin is an excellent speaker and his course is clear, well organized and the videos are of excellent quality. This course could be further extended because the field is very wide. The only downside of this course is that I asked a single question to Mr. Chaikin and this is one of those Mentor who sent me wandering perhaps because he did not know the answer...

I look forward to another course of Mr. Chaikin !

By Mona G

Jun 3, 2020

The course content was truly amazing! I enjoyed it a lot. There were many new concepts that I learned, which I think are very necessary to strengthen the basics. Altogether, I would like to thank the professor and his team for such a wonderful course. I would just like to point out that if there could be a conversation possible between the peers who grade the assignment and the peers who are graded, it will be more beneficial. Thanks a lot once again!

By Santiago M G

Jun 10, 2020

The fundamentals seen on this course are fantastic, and Mr. Chaikin is a great instructor. However, I feel like some of the modules are a little outdated (not so bad for Week 3, but Week 5 can be improved) and the last week feels a little rushed. Despite all that, I absolutely recommend this course if you wanna learn the core elements the right way, and if you are open to look things up and learn on your own, as things have changed a little.

By Vivek P

Mar 25, 2020

Course was very good and content was to the point. Only thing that lacked in this whole coursera was its upload time. Course was outdated, hence problems were faced during course, still, whats the point to reach destination without any hurdles and challenges. After all, a great learning experience and I am looking forward to enroll in more specialization courses offered by coursera.

-Sincerely Thank you to Yaakov Sir, and Coursera platform

By Shrinath B

Jul 30, 2016

The HTML/CSS part of this lecture are really amazing (5 star I would say). I felt that the JS parts were a bit rushed through and probably needed a separate course. I am also working on the side (as a backend engineer) and got the chance to apply whatever I learnt and not rely on our front-end engineer so it was great. Thanks for the course leader and the course providers for my first step towards becoming a full-stack engineer!

By Ivanna A C

Jun 28, 2020

I recommend this course for people who want to start their studies as web developers. HTML and CSS are very comprehensive courses and JavaScript is a little bit harder if you're a beginner in this.

The teacher has a really good explanations and he stimulates all the time to keep going.

The meeting between the teacher and the client to implement a web page for a restaurant is very interesting and makes more real the job.

By Nick F

Jun 28, 2016

Great course, covers a lot of areas. Things do get quite advances, particlarly later on in the Javascript modules so you might have to watch it a few times. Yakoov does a great deal of explanation in order for you to understanding, but somethings might not sink in straight away. The assignments are a great way to troubleshoot issues and their is great support on the discussions fourm. Would recommend. Thank you!

By Ethan M

Apr 30, 2021

I like the course, even though in order to do certain assignments, it seems like you have to pay, for example if you want the module quizzes to be finished, you would have to unlock it, I mean it should be free since I enrolled, it shouldn't be where you have to purchase the course to unlock quizzes which are required to finish this class. Unenrolled, may join back if I can and probably purchase the course.