Back to HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers by Johns Hopkins University

Do you realize that the only functionality of a web application that the user directly interacts with is through the web page? Implement it poorly and, to the user, the server-side becomes irrelevant! Today’s user expects a lot out of the web page: it has to load fast, expose the desired service, and be comfortable to view on all devices: from a desktop computers to tablets and mobile phones. In this course, we will learn the basic tools that every web page coder needs to know. We will start from the ground up by learning how to implement modern web pages with HTML and CSS. We will then advance to learning how to code our pages such that its components rearrange and resize themselves automatically based on the size of the user’s screen. You’ll be able to code up a web page that will be just as useful on a mobile phone as on a desktop computer. No “pinch and zoom” required! Last but certainly not least, we will get a thorough introduction to the most ubiquitous, popular, and incredibly powerful language of the web: Javascript. Using Javascript, you will be able to build a fully functional web application that utilizes Ajax to expose server-side functionality and data to the end user....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

Actually the best online course i hv ever learnt,especially the professor yaakov is quiet outstanding.And a field trip in a online course sounds rare and good!!Thank You Coursera and yakkov for this!!

AT
Jul 17, 2021

This was a really great course, i learned so much, and it was really interesting and very well explained.And the field trip was good .Thank you Coursera and Yaakov Chaikin for this wonderful course !

3826 - 3850 of 4,482 Reviews for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Apr 6, 2019

NICE

By Mike

Mar 26, 2019

Good

By Sweta S

Jan 24, 2018

Good

By Noah K

Dec 27, 2017

good

Jul 5, 2017

Good

By C F T m a

May 22, 2017

good

By katia m

Nov 18, 2021

Aug 18, 2021

B

By Daniel S

Oct 31, 2021

HTML & CSS were very well taught. But JS -- especially week 5 - not very well taught - confusing. Yaakov said in the video that you need basic programming knowledge before learning JS, although I was under the impression that this was a beginners course. I even had a little JS background before this course but understanding AJAX/Week5 would be easier if it was less rushed. For JS especially, I also think that assignments & practice quizzes could've been more frequent. I wish JS was taught better. The course is also outdated. I was so confused with Github, and I think I finally understood it better in week 5, haha, just by luck/repetition. Regardless, I did learn more about HTML/CSS and JS. So taking this course was helpful. Thanks for a relatively good course!

By Linus R

Apr 1, 2021

Very good and detailed explanations in the html css part. I liked the quizzes, videos and practical execises a lot. Javascript in Week 4 and 5 was a harder topic and the amoung of knowledge per time increased suddely a lot too. The quizzes were still managable, but not satisfing learning in second half. I will go back to those videos in time but i couldn´t keep up there. Trail and errored the last 2 weeks with lots of pain.

But all in all good first online learning expierience!

Wondering if the technologies are becomeing outdated somewhat.

By Chelsea P

Aug 10, 2021

This is a great course overall! The first four modules were well-laid out and explained. My only reason for giving it four stars instead of five is because I thought the last module was way too hard to follow. I got to the final assignment and didn't have the slightest clue on how to even begin even though I watched all the lectures. I think Yaakov tried to cover too much in the final module. Besides that, I learned a lot and feel so much more confident in my web development skills.

By Andrew C

May 11, 2016

A good course for beginners, consisting mainly of following along as the instructor demonstrates code. The assignments are short and largely restricted to modifying supplied code. This is a necessary restriction of the peer-review grading process: the problem must be highly constrained in order for an untrained person to quickly grade it. You could certainly learn a lot by completing extra examples from a book or other resources, but this is not required to pass the course.

By Polina P

Oct 1, 2021

The course was great as for a person with some (not much) coding background.

I learned a lot about HTML and CSS, Twitter Bootstrap, and how to use GitHub (not without some extra googling though).

But, the only tough part was JavaScript week 5. This topic went by way faster than HTML and CSS parts, and was hard to follow. Hence, four stars.

Otherwise, it is a highly informative course, interesting, and entertaining.

I would recommend it to people who already know some JavaScript.

By Jean L N

Oct 5, 2016

A good course! I really had fun with this course. Mr. Chaikin is an excellent speaker and his course is clear, well organized and the videos are of excellent quality. This course could be further extended because the field is very wide. The only downside of this course is that I asked a single question to Mr. Chaikin and this is one of those Mentor who sent me wandering perhaps because he did not know the answer...

I look forward to another course of Mr. Chaikin !

By Mona G

Jun 3, 2020

The course content was truly amazing! I enjoyed it a lot. There were many new concepts that I learned, which I think are very necessary to strengthen the basics. Altogether, I would like to thank the professor and his team for such a wonderful course. I would just like to point out that if there could be a conversation possible between the peers who grade the assignment and the peers who are graded, it will be more beneficial. Thanks a lot once again!

By Augusto d S L

Dec 19, 2021

T​he course is excellent as well as the instructor! The course's structure helps you learn a concept from a beginner to a more advanced level smoothly. The pace of the course is good and the course activities and assignments are very instructive and allow you to sediment the concepts learned. My only remark is that the course's content, although very pertinent, is starting to get a little bit outdated. But overall, I very much recommend this course!

By Santiago M G

Jun 10, 2020

The fundamentals seen on this course are fantastic, and Mr. Chaikin is a great instructor. However, I feel like some of the modules are a little outdated (not so bad for Week 3, but Week 5 can be improved) and the last week feels a little rushed. Despite all that, I absolutely recommend this course if you wanna learn the core elements the right way, and if you are open to look things up and learn on your own, as things have changed a little.

By Vivek P

Mar 25, 2020

Course was very good and content was to the point. Only thing that lacked in this whole coursera was its upload time. Course was outdated, hence problems were faced during course, still, whats the point to reach destination without any hurdles and challenges. After all, a great learning experience and I am looking forward to enroll in more specialization courses offered by coursera.

-Sincerely Thank you to Yaakov Sir, and Coursera platform

By Anthony P

Jan 15, 2022

Great course! Instructor Chaikin is an excellent teacher who clearly understands the material.

Giving 4 stars because the material is partially outdated. For example, some of the referenced Bootstrap CSS classes are out of date and have been deprecated in newer versions of Bootstrap.

However, this class is a great introduction to web dev and I'm glad to have gone through it. Will take again if JHU and Prof Chaikin come out with an update.

By Shrinath B

Jul 30, 2016

The HTML/CSS part of this lecture are really amazing (5 star I would say). I felt that the JS parts were a bit rushed through and probably needed a separate course. I am also working on the side (as a backend engineer) and got the chance to apply whatever I learnt and not rely on our front-end engineer so it was great. Thanks for the course leader and the course providers for my first step towards becoming a full-stack engineer!