Back to HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers by Johns Hopkins University

Do you realize that the only functionality of a web application that the user directly interacts with is through the web page? Implement it poorly and, to the user, the server-side becomes irrelevant! Today’s user expects a lot out of the web page: it has to load fast, expose the desired service, and be comfortable to view on all devices: from a desktop computers to tablets and mobile phones. In this course, we will learn the basic tools that every web page coder needs to know. We will start from the ground up by learning how to implement modern web pages with HTML and CSS. We will then advance to learning how to code our pages such that its components rearrange and resize themselves automatically based on the size of the user’s screen. You’ll be able to code up a web page that will be just as useful on a mobile phone as on a desktop computer. No “pinch and zoom” required! Last but certainly not least, we will get a thorough introduction to the most ubiquitous, popular, and incredibly powerful language of the web: Javascript. Using Javascript, you will be able to build a fully functional web application that utilizes Ajax to expose server-side functionality and data to the end user....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

Actually the best online course i hv ever learnt,especially the professor yaakov is quiet outstanding.And a field trip in a online course sounds rare and good!!Thank You Coursera and yakkov for this!!

YV

Many thanks to the creators of this course! It was a very solid refresher for me, even though I have spent in web development a few years by now. I thoroughly enjoyed every lesson. Thank you, Yaakov!

151 - 175 of 4,388 Reviews for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

By Paul G

Oct 18, 2016

Overall very nice job! Rated a 4 because I feel the JavaScript was too rushed. I think the final usage of JavaScript should be reviewed with an eye toward a beginner programmer.

I liked the website development theme and interview with the restaurant owner, but that disappeared along the way. Maybe the final week, instead of making the special random, could be something the owner changes that the code has to change. Perhaps that change could involve a change to HTML, CSS and JavaScript, although that might be ambitious.

Again, nice job. Learned quite a bit.

By Xin

Dec 15, 2016

like everyone said this is awesome course. I just want to mention several things it can improved.

1. assignments are too easy such that you can not really learn much through finish it.

2. this course contains fair amount of content but don't go much detail into each topic especially the final week class video. it could have contain much more detail about how to implement the code and the mechanism behind it. Unfortunately that part is missing so you can only get a very sketchy whole pic and in the end what you learned from that part is just some funky words.

By Tyler N

May 9, 2021

This was a great introductory course, especially if you have previous experience with programming, it's set up to let you go at a much faster pace. I do think week 5 could be reworked. It was a step up in scale, and the last assignment was a bit overwhelming. You are presented with a lot more pre written code across several files, which wasn't seen in previous 4 weeks. You end up having to teach yourself, which kinda defeats the point of paying for this course. But otherwise, I'd recommend to anyone looking to get their feet wet in front end development.

By Lucas N R

Mar 17, 2016

First of all the instructor had a really well put together material and equipment (sound was clear, the slides made sense, there was live coding in some lectures).

The assignments where challenging enough in weeks 1, 2, and 3.

For the 4th week however, I found the assignment a little difficult due to lack of explanation caused, in my opinion, by the fact that the we only had one week to introduce JavaScript and ajax.

Overall I definitely recommend this course to someone trying to enter the web development scene

By RIFQIANDI C P

Aug 25, 2020

I could understand what's going on from week 1 - 4 moduls, but having a lot of hard times for the 5 & 6 moduls. I'm not sure why, maybe it's simply because they were hard to study.. it felt like everything went so fast there, there were some stuff that I couldn't understand, but was explained pretty quick. Or it's probably also because english isn't my language? So, I can't really blame.

Overall, I enjoyed the course a lot!

I was really happy, especially to understand Git's, CSS, & bootstrap's basic.

By Megha G

Oct 12, 2016

This was a great course and gave me a very good starting point for HTML, CSS and JS. The only negative I found was that the JS module seemed a bit rushed and the assignments at the end of last two modules didn't really test my understanding of JS concepts very well. They were too simple because the starter code had a lot of things already written out. Making them more barebones and having the student fill out most of the details would be a more hands-on and useful activity in my opinion.

By Ethan M

Apr 30, 2021

I like the course, even though in order to do certain assignments, it seems like you have to pay, for example if you want the module quizzes to be finished, you would have to unlock it, I mean it should be free since I enrolled, it shouldn't be where you have to purchase the course to unlock quizzes which are required to finish this class. Unenrolled, may join back if I can and probably purchase the course.

By Shannon P

May 26, 2021

Great course -- the professor really takes the time to explain the concepts behind the code. The only issue is that the course material is outdated, so some of the details for uploading materials and using Bootstrap are not really possible the way that they're described in the course. An updated course with Bootstrap4 and current GitHub Pages would be much appreciated for future students!

By Ramya P

May 13, 2021

I found the course very useful in learning HTML and CSS. However I found the AJAX and Javascript part difficult, if there are any guidelines for ex for parameter passing between HTMl, Javascripts, it would be helpful. Though it covered many things, the Week 5 was harder one. May be more short examples would be added to work out for week 5.

By Ayush P

Apr 24, 2021

HTML, CSS taught by the teacher are great. I found little difficulty understanding the bootstrap, which is week 3. Week 4 and 5, where Java script is being taught, is amazing. U will also learn basics about HTTP, ajax, JSON. Well, I would also say that I did find little difficulty understanding jQuery.

By Siobhan B

Mar 30, 2021

I found sometimes the professor spoke a little too quickly, and some of the instructions in the assignments were a little challenging to locate and read, but I learned a lot from this course and look forward to taking another one to better improve my skills.

By Oscar R C G

Apr 1, 2021

Muy buen curso, a veces las conferencias están algo cargadas de información, así que es buena idea verlas unas cuantas veces si es necesario, una buena manera de llevar bien el curso es poniendo atención a cada palabra que dice, y no pasar nada por menos.

By Saish g

Apr 15, 2021

it is a very helpful course with hands-on experience of the content involved ,the content is on point and easy to understand,although some further explanation and walk-through instructions on assignments would be appreciated

By Denis C

May 9, 2021

Отличный курс. Ставлю 4 только по тому что некоторая информация уже устарела, например Bootstrap рассматривается 3-й версии, а уже вышла пятая. Но в целом курс очень интересный и полезный!

By Abhinav K M

Mar 26, 2021

This was a marvelous course as it helped me to grasp the basic fundamentals of HTML and CSS and gave me confidence to work on my own restaurant website project. Thank you, Yaakov sir

By sagar r c

Apr 12, 2021

The way of teaching and assignments is good but better to give project as a steps of assignments so that we will get overview/confident about build a project.

By Reda C

Apr 27, 2021

It is pretty good course not gonna lie but why i gave it 4 stars because some stuff its really outdated and we hope its gonna be update about it

By Nikita S

Apr 28, 2021

The last part was a way more difficult to understand then the rest of the course. But it was still a good experice and i have learnt alot!

By Rajkumar M

May 10, 2021

Absolutely wonderful course to get start with Front End technologies.

I feel AJAX and DOM part was bit fast and could have bit better.

By Omar A

May 9, 2021

كوررس ممتاز كمقدمة في هذا المجال ولكن اعتقد لو لم يتم ادخال json و ajax افضل لان الشرح لم يكن كافي لفهمها بالنسبة لي

By Luvkumar S

Apr 14, 2021

A great course which covers basics for the beginners and help shape their path towards web development.

By Sachin M

Apr 14, 2021

I love this course and I am stil learning but there is no option for seeing updated faq instruction

By Krishna G T

Apr 7, 2021

I loved the course. Although I think the curriculum should be updated to the 2021 standards.

By CAIQUE G R S

Apr 26, 2021

Um dos melhors que ja participei, porem. Deixa muito a desejar na parte de json e ajax

By alex t

Apr 20, 2021

5th week has to much theory and not enough practice.