Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

DP

Jan 03, 2017

Excellent! Really enjoyed and learnt a lot. I did not expect such a great content and professionalism in a free course. I am definitely purchasing for the title.\n\nThanks to all the team! Great job!

101 - 125 of 456 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Niloufar S

Sep 15, 2017

I recommend this MOOC to all fans of linguistics, learning languages, and people who are interested in deeper understanding of what is indeed "a Language"! Special thanks to prof. dr. Oostendorp for his clear and kind way of transferring his vast knowledge.

By Max W

Jun 20, 2019

An excellent well-rounded introduction to the field of linguistics. The students gets to learn about language in many facets, with a perfect mix of informational lectures, video discussions, and self-guided learning. Wonderful professor and great material!

By Fotios C

Sep 11, 2019

Fantastic insight into the world of linguistics! Very high quality course. Professor van Oostendorp creates an atmosphere that makes learning fun. If you have an interest in evolution of languages and in etymology, this is the course you should take!

By Jan D

Aug 14, 2017

I really liked the enthusiasm of the professor and Inge and Martin. The complementary interviews were also very interesting. As a post-journalism (and post-premaster) student, it was definitely beneficial for my sociolinguistic master program.

By Axel J B B

Jul 28, 2020

This has been one of my favorite MOOCs. It is a bit harder than the average MOOC, but it's really worth the effort. Brilliant insights, thought-provoking concepts and a very friendly dynamic makes this course worth every minute spent on it.

By Hasan A C

Jun 19, 2020

It extended my horizon and I gained so much insight into languages. I highly recommend you taking up this course. They also interview other linguists who are experts in their field every week. The professors' enthusiasm motivates you a lot.

By Yolanda L

May 23, 2016

Great course! The professor is enthusiastic and very clear in his presentation, and they present the material in digestible, clear language. The course also did a good job prioritizing what to include in a short amount of videos. Thank you!

By Dot

Apr 19, 2020

Very informative course and a perfect introduction to linguitics. A bit difficult at times (sociolinguistics is not my forte, I suppose), but again - why study something too easy? :) I'd love to see more content, perhaps another course?

By RaHel

Dec 19, 2019

Wonderfully made, gives you a strong basis on the subject, accessible to those with little to no background . The videos are interesting and clear, and examples are given from a variety of languages, and the course is very enjoyable.

By Cliona Y

Jun 09, 2020

Great use of interviews of professors around the world with different backgrounds and studies, it shows how linguistics is applied. Clear examples used by informants, although I wish there were subtitles available for those videos.

By Sunny S

Jul 09, 2016

A lot of materials are accessible in the course. It is obvious that professors have done a lot of preparation, so that the learning experience is really amazing. The course arises my interest for Linguistics. Highly recommended.

By Marty M M

Feb 24, 2019

The best part of this course was the introduction of many useful resources: World Atlas of Language Structures, Ethnologue, Babel Magazine, etc. The lecturer and his assisting students are entertaining and easy to understand.

By Peter B

Dec 25, 2018

A really excellent introduction to many aspects of linguistics (from the sound to the social level):

Kudos to the wonderful Marc van Oostendorp and his team!

But, beware dear reader: Some of the quizzes are really "tricky" :-)

By Claudia M

May 04, 2020

This is my very first course in coursera and on linguistics and it won't be my last. This was very informative, with relevant examples and well developed videos. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in linguistics.

By Min-An C

Apr 19, 2017

With interests in exploring knowledge about languages, this course is indeed fantastic introduction which not only tells about a systematic way to analyze languages, but also trigger my passion to know more and deeper!

By Josephine B M

Jul 04, 2018

Very enjoyable course, at a good level for beginners but with enough content to hook your interest. Only thing to note is that some weeks are quite a lot more work than others which can make it difficult to schedule.

By Mary B

Mar 20, 2020

Brilliant, fascinating course! The topics were really interesting and explained in a way that made them easy to understand without feeling condescending or over-simplified. I was sad when the course came to an end!

By Huang J

Aug 15, 2018

Before I start, I didn't expect the course to be as well structured and helpful as it turns out. It enables the learner to have a clear big picture of language studies landscape. Chapeau and thanks to its creators!

By sukran c

Dec 25, 2017

I am so exited about this course. I found very interesting and successfull. Simply I can not be able to stop watching videos and go over reading materials. I hope they keep open more courses related to this course.

By Tetiana M

Mar 22, 2017

This is an extremely interesting and informative course. For me it was really fascinating six weeks of educational process. I am very appreciated to the professor Marc van Oostendorp and his students for this MOOC.

By Touahri A

Apr 29, 2020

This course was wonderful. I gained a lot of knowledge about languages and different fields of linguistics. I really recommend this course for anyone interested in languages with no background or basic background.

By Heli K

Jun 29, 2019

Super well designed course with intriguing classes and reading materials. I highly recommend this course for everyone into linguistics. Thank you so much for this course!! Waiting for Miracles of Human Language 2!

By Érica C

May 14, 2018

I'm so happy I decided to enroll in this course. This was my very first introduction to Linguistics and it left me wanting to know more. Thank you to everyone who worked hard to make this course available for us.

By 张扬

Jun 12, 2018

The instructor is so kind...And the course is a little bit hard to finish, because they have a lot of reading text and prepare video(like statistics analysis), but I still love it, and I will finish it on time.

By THIYAGARAJ G

Aug 01, 2020

This has been a fantastic learning journey with professor Marc, Martin, Inge and fellow mates from forum. Extremely thankful to this course. Thank you and keep coming with similar courses for students like us.