Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

Mar 22, 2019

I've taken a number of online courses on linguistics now, and this one was by and far the best. The material covered is indepth and engaging, and the professor's enthusiam makes the videos a delight.

101 - 125 of 320 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Huang W

Jun 25, 2017

I have learned a lot from it.

By Richard H

Jun 10, 2016

Loved the course.

By Marc V

May 21, 2016

Indeed a great choice to improving our knowledge !

By Chantao P

May 09, 2016

so instructive, so attractive.

I'm very interested in Language and Society, I expect to acquire more knowledge on human language. Thanks!

By Randolph W

Aug 28, 2016

I shall say it's a perfect introduction course for one who's interested in linguistic : )))

By Andrew C

Mar 09, 2017

A very enjoyable, engaging course which touches on the fundamentals of Linguistics. I found the professor, as well as the assistants delightful, and the language informants were also very exciting to have. It was challenging at a few points despite my background and interest in Linguistics, however, it was well worth the effort.

I sincerely hope I can take more courses from Leiden, or perhaps study there one day. This course reaffirmed my interest in Leiden from 10 years ago.

By Jessica R

Sep 09, 2017

Professor Marc van Oostendorp is a wonderful teacher. You can see he loves his subject and finds joy in it, and he enjoys transmitting his knowledge to others. It was a good rhythm to have the in and out flow of Martin and Inge as well. I really enjoyed this course.

By Christopher L

Dec 30, 2016

It is very nice to see an introductory course in linguistics, especially for it being free and available online. I would not have had an opportunity like that anywhere here locally, which makes this course special to me. The instructor and his pupils were paramount to the learning experience, and with the addition of interviews and recommended readings, this course excels in tactically defining and showing what linguists do and what they study. I want to thank Leiden University and Marc van Oostendorp for providing such a professionally delivered MOOC.

By Géraldine G

Jul 28, 2017

Excellent

By Robert T

May 26, 2017

Amazing and sometimes challenging class.

By Jee Y K

Jan 29, 2017

fascinating

By sukran c

Dec 25, 2017

I am so exited about this course. I found very interesting and successfull. Simply I can not be able to stop watching videos and go over reading materials. I hope they keep open more courses related to this course.

By Thembi F

Mar 29, 2018

Fascinating topic with well-curated materials.

By James A

Nov 10, 2016

A really fun survey of linguistics!

By Hanna P

Aug 08, 2016

without any doubt the best course among those I have studied or tried out on and beyond coursera. a huge thanks to the whole team behind it!

By Fernanda M P

Jan 27, 2018

The course was excellent. I could review some of the main concepts of Linguistic through very well designed lessons and fruitful material.

By Natalie R

Jan 25, 2017

I love how clear everything is presented. Just beautiful.

By Sarka B

Dec 03, 2016

Perfectly prepared course with a capable linguist and his skilled students. We can acquire a nice overview about linguistics.

By Laura C

Sep 06, 2017

This was my first course on Coursera! Really enjoyable and challenging as well. It reactivated my thirst for knowledge and made me feel like taking more courses. Many thanks to the professors and the students who participated in the videos and helped putting together such a wonderful series of lessons.

By Stephanie J P

Mar 01, 2017

Amazing course! By far the best online course I've ever taken.

By Darsving O E M

Nov 08, 2016

This course is really great and very enriching, specially when you want to have a general view about Linguistics, and at the same time, you get the tools to make a simple but precise analysis of languages.

By Hernán S

Nov 01, 2016

This course was excellent! because this made me an overview of linguistic science, their internal fields, and their main topics of study.

By 张扬

Jun 12, 2018

The instructor is so kind...And the course is a little bit hard to finish, because they have a lot of reading text and prepare video(like statistics analysis), but I still love it, and I will finish it on time.

By Ivan T

Feb 19, 2017

Outstanding course... absolutely fantastic!

By Diana S

Feb 28, 2017

Exceeded all my expectations! This is a wonderful MOOC for anyone interested in Linguistics.