Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

Mar 22, 2019

I've taken a number of online courses on linguistics now, and this one was by and far the best. The material covered is indepth and engaging, and the professor's enthusiam makes the videos a delight.

26 - 50 of 311 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Spyros V

Feb 20, 2019

I learned a lot of things, but most importantly I have a conceptual understanding of the different components that create the structure of language. The student will listen to a lot of different languages, will be introduced to various branches of linguistics and will create a solid base on which they can further study the interesting topic of human language. The educator was great and the students (Martin and Inge) are relatable, polite and smiling. Great course.

By Marty M M

Feb 24, 2019

The best part of this course was the introduction of many useful resources: World Atlas of Language Structures, Ethnologue, Babel Magazine, etc. The lecturer and his assisting students are entertaining and easy to understand.

By John C

Mar 28, 2019

I found this course extremely challenging. Which I love. I now have a whole know respect for the learners of languages, and the people who study linguistics. I am glad I took part in this program.

By elhoucine m

Apr 10, 2019

IT is an amazing course

By Sara C

Mar 13, 2019

Very good and complete. I wish there was more!

By Peter B

Dec 25, 2018

A really excellent introduction to many aspects of linguistics (from the sound to the social level):

Kudos to the wonderful Marc van Oostendorp and his team!

But, beware dear reader: Some of the quizzes are really "tricky" :-)

By Nasser H

Jan 20, 2019

Excellent course

By yan l

Feb 13, 2019

Interesting and engaging. Like the professor a lot, so engaging.

By Evan S

Mar 11, 2019

This was an exciting course that uses real people to demonstrate linguistic concepts. It was a great idea to have speakers of less internationally familiar languages such as Gungbe and Berber to demonstrate how it is possible to understand the basics of a language's structure (despite having no prior knowledge of that particular language).The video discussions and interviews were a nice way to break up lectures and provide real-life context to the course.

By Alexander S

Jul 12, 2018

A great introductory course!Of special value for me were the language informants. Through them understanding the diversity of languages was a lot more interesting and practical.

By Kate

Sep 07, 2018

This course is so fun and informative, and I was actually sad when it ended. Oostendorp is a fantastic professor and I highly recommend his course.

By jamie b

Sep 10, 2018

This is course for those who love language and also for those who want to explore the miracle of language . Pro. Ostendrop and his team breaks down the syllabus into a bit size and in very friendly manner . Its like we're sitting in a live class room. In the middle of the module there are interviews from experts such as Noam Chomsky, we all know he's a mammoth figure in linguistic realm. Thanks Coursera and thanks all the teams who are involved in creating this course.

By Bhaskar P

Sep 22, 2018

Dr. Van Oostendorp and Leiden University have created a course of outstanding quality. It far exceeded my expectations and has provided an excellent introduction to the subject of Linguistics.

By Ameer A

Sep 29, 2018

This course is really useful and it helped me increase my information about linguistics!

i would really thank the professor Marc Van Oostendrop for his kindness and for his simple style to facilitate the materials of this course. I wish I get other free courses as this great one!

Best regards to all who participated in this course!

See you in new other courses from Coursera!

Ameer Alziyara

By Akhilesh S

Aug 09, 2018

This is a wonderful and fun course. A must for anyone interested to know about the study of linguistics.

By Huang J

Aug 15, 2018

Before I start, I didn't expect the course to be as well structured and helpful as it turns out. It enables the learner to have a clear big picture of language studies landscape. Chapeau and thanks to its creators!

By Tejo D K

Sep 01, 2018

This is one of the best courses I have done in my life. I always used to wonder about human languages and how they evolved, and this course answered a lot of my questions and now I am even more interested in the subject as I know the technicalities of linguistics. My special thanks to Professor Marc van Oostendorp who was just amazing and made the topics very interesting and creative. The main reason I completed the course though it has some difficult topics was because of his wonderful teaching and ability to grab my attention. My thanks to Inge and Martin for their discussions and their very thoughtful questions. I will wait for other courses from Leiden University, Thank you for making me more knowledgeable.

By Isaac M Á

Oct 17, 2018

Very nice course.

By Charles M

Oct 09, 2018

really worthy

By Laurie K

Nov 02, 2018

Very interesting course, well-made videos, interesting interviews and reading materials. Would definitely recommend this course to people who want to know more about different aspects of language.

By Gotamist

Nov 01, 2018

Prof. van Oostendorp is an excellent and motivational teacher. I feel like a got a real introduction to the field of linguistics!

By Roberta R

Nov 04, 2018

The lectures are extremely easy to follow even for somebody who has never heard of linguistics before. The required readings and suggested bibliography were extremely interesting and will give me something to work on even now that I have completed the course. Thanks for creating this great course!

By Timothy H

Nov 04, 2018

This is a challenging course, but if you are truly interested in linguistics this is an excellent choice. Certainly the best one available in a MOOC. Thank you for the effort.

By Doron V

Jun 16, 2016

Excellent and most enjoyable course!

The videos of the professor and his students are clear and fluent and even the quiz are not too hard.

And the best part are the informants in various languages one does not encounter every day.

The course is mostly recommended to all.

By Alan D D S