Back to Art & Ideas: Teaching with Themes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Art & Ideas: Teaching with Themes by The Museum of Modern Art

This course is designed to help build critical skills that support theme-based teaching practices and build confidence in incorporating modern and contemporary art into interdisciplinary lesson plans. By addressing themes and questions that arise in relation to modern and contemporary art, the course will help you to think creatively about links to your curriculum and the ways that you can tap into students’ knowledge and life experience. In this course, you will explore four themes that educators at The Museum of Modern Art use frequently in their teaching: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Through videos, slideshows, and a variety of resources, readings, and activities, you will explore the content and context of works of art in MoMA’s collection. Learners will… - Explore works of modern and contemporary art through a variety of themes that relate to classroom content and student experience. - Hear directly from artists about their ideas and processes. - Learn about the ways that a thematic approach supports interdisciplinary teaching and learning. - Gain exposure to a range of digital resources available for teaching with themes and incorporating content around works of art into your classroom....

CS

Mar 26, 2020

Thank You So Much MoMa and Cousera !! I'm super in love with this courses, it really help me a lot and teach me a lot ..And I will continue to choose any others course in MoMa,in Cousera ! Thank You

CA

Feb 14, 2017

This course was a wonderful and thorough introduction to Modern Art. So insightful and informative! I'd recommend it to anyone! It has definitely enhanced my lesson planning and teaching style.

1 - 25 of 62 Reviews for Art & Ideas: Teaching with Themes

By Estefanía M

Feb 12, 2020

Art & Ideas: Teaching with Themes has definately fulfilled my expectations. It has helped me to bring together both of my favourite disciplines ART and TEACHING. I have really enjoyed the Video and lecturing material, but the best has been the small projects and final written piece that we have to present because it really summarises your knowledge and brings together both ART and TEACHING SKILLS.

I have also found a great insight in revising and reading other colleagues' work, they are all so unic and different and somehow they all show our own individual interests. So that was eye opening. I revised a Chinese colleague and the work he was discussing on his final work really made a big impact on me, since I am very fond of caligraphy and watercolours.

Personally, I have learnt critical, very creative and definately great interdisciplinary approach to teaching, which I think is the way forward in teaching. I am very surprised and happy of having done this course. Thank you.

By Robert P

Apr 23, 2020

From start to finish this was an exceptional course, the resources and reading were wonderful, resources that I will continue to refer back to and read over, as and when required - both for teaching and for bettering my understanding of the Art. The mix of videos, interactive tasks (message board), and final project were very well balanced and gave the course a well rounded feel overall. The level of challenge for each task was also very well judged, to encourage independent thinking and not total reliance on the given resources.

By AJAYKUMAR K N

Apr 10, 2018

With no background in Art, I found this course extremely useful. The course is well designed and rigorous. Very good reading material and good ideas to take to a classroom.

By Nassy P B L

Feb 11, 2019

Este curso aporto una visión diferente de ver y como yo puedo aportar en el mundo de la enseñanza del arte, me pareció excelente, muy recomendado.

By Anna S

Sep 25, 2018

It's a very great course. I found it very usefull to introduce art in classroom by theme.

By Maria G A

Aug 19, 2018

This course gave me inspiration to use art in the classroom, even though I am not an art teacher. Even more, it makes me think about how to connect art with the curriculum I have to teach in Social studies and foreign languages and motives me to cooperate with other colleagues, who teach others subjects at school, to find some common topics to teach by using art.

The videos and literature selected by the instructors are easy to understand and provide with many different ways to work with this theme.

The instructors and curators from MoMa are experienced and passionate teachers!

By Raheem M

May 12, 2020

I used to pride myself in my ability to create and express my creativity. Somewhere along the way, I think I lost touch with some of that, thinking the art world and the “real” world were separate things. They are not, and I certainly don’t need a specific environment to thrive creatively. This course has reminded me that the creative mind that I possess is what makes me truly me and gives me the opportunity to contribute, anywhere. After having completed this course, I have more fuel that will continue to drive me to keep creating, think critically and finding ways to be innovative in whatever role I take on. I encourage other young and more seasoned minds, alike to continue to find ways to create and try out new things, because the world is here for us to explore and its good to never stop learning.

By Lauren C

This course was structured in a way I could digest and apply information each week. I loved the access to a variety of learning tools such as video and readings as well as the forums to interact with other participants all over the world. It has changed how I approach my planning and use a variety of resources with my students to introduce a theme.

By Salvador F A

Mar 25, 2020

I think that this course is suitable for anybody who works as a teacher or in the education field. Anyway, It can be interesting for anybody else who loves contemporary art to achieve another view of art. In my case, I've enjoyed and learned a lot of new things to apply personally to my pupils. A pleasure.

By Vijal S

An amazing course for budding and experienced teachers. It gives you a complete insight about the various artists, their artworks and also how to incorporate the theme in classroom situations. Definitely a course every teacher must do!! Thank you to the MoMa team for conceptualizing this amazing course!

By Maria A C N T

May 22, 2020

It was a very interesting course, the knowledge aquired is a very important information for my professional life. I would like to have a deeper education in this focus of arts education, it would be great to have a master or a certification in this theme.

By Carlotta P

Apr 25, 2020

It is a really well structured course: a lot of material available, clear, fluid and dense explanations.

This is a path that leads you to deep reflections, on different themes and encourages you to pursue critical thinking.

Good "art" to all!!

By Chrystal S

Mar 26, 2020

By Cerise A

Feb 14, 2017

By Donatella V

May 08, 2020

It has been beautiful following this course and analyzing all the interesting topics! It did really inspire me and provided me with the stimuli that I was looking for! Thank you MoMA

By RJ

Apr 20, 2020

I enjoyed this course! The tools I'm taking with me are amazing and I can't wait to put them into practice. The instructor videos were wonderful!

By Shereen Q

Feb 12, 2018

It was a great professional development course for out arts department. The best thing is being able to complete it at our own time.

By paula d

Oct 02, 2019

It was great to be walked through different theme ideas as well as be prompted to think how I could use themes in my art teaching.

By Rishab M

Absolutely wonderful course, got to learn new things that i can implement in my virtual classroom...thanks to Coursera

By Richard P

Dec 20, 2016

Useful and engaging ideas. Videos and links are very useful and can be directly used or adapted for the classroom.

By Mario S

May 02, 2020

This Course improve my skills as a teacher, giving me more tools, like the different themes to incluye un class.

By Anna K

Mar 14, 2018

Thank you very much, this course offers lots of different ideas and ways how to present art to various groups.

By Cecilia E

May 26, 2019

Very professional, practical , analytical and fun!!

The course helped me explore into my deeper inner.

Thanks!!

By Joe L

May 09, 2020

Such a fun class with great ideas for getting young learners excited about modern art.

By Lorena M

Thank you Moma for this excellent course, it give us good tools to work with pupils.