Back to Fundamentals of Immunology: Innate Immunity and B-Cell Function

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Immunology: Innate Immunity and B-Cell Function by Rice University

Course 1 of a three course specialization called Fundamentals of Immunology. Each course in the specialization presents material that builds on the previous course's material. This is the first leg of a three-part journey through the defenses your body uses to keep you healthy. In this part we hope to give you the vocabulary and concepts you need to interact with the medical community and to provide them in a context that makes them memorable. Fundamentals of Immunology introduces students to the basic functions of the adaptive and innate immune systems. The early lectures survey cells, tissues and organs using metaphors, cartoons and models to improve understanding and retention. After describing the form, function, origin and varieties of antibodies, subsequent lectures provide details on the mechanism of the generation of variation. The course provides animations of gene rearrangement and class switching and descriptions of affinity maturation correlated with detailed physical models of antibody structure. The final lecture reviews these concepts in anatomical context. Testing employs multiple choice questions testing facts, concepts, and application of principles. Questions may refer to diagrams, drawing and photographs used in lecture and reproduced in the outline. What You’ll Learn: The difference between adaptive and innate immune systems, the characteristics of various pathogens that they protect you from and the overall strategies employed in this protection. The detailed structure of antibodies and related immunoglobulin receptors, the characteristics and function of the different antibody classes and the mechanism for producing both the recognition regions and stem regions.  Finally, how these structures are coded for in the DNA and expressed in the B cells....

AR
Aug 5, 2019

So far the lecturer has been very entertaining and interesting in her explanation of various concepts of immunology. I am excited to finish this course, which will be relevant to my future studies.

BR
Nov 21, 2020

Thank you very much Professor! I really enjoyed your lessons and passion for teaching. I am glad you are able to share your talent with the world via this medium. Looking forward to the next class!

51 - 75 of 280 Reviews for Fundamentals of Immunology: Innate Immunity and B-Cell Function

By Quek Y

Dec 14, 2020

Lecturer is adorable. great and engaging videos. lots to learn and digest. duration of videos quite manageable. ideally one should do this over a longer space of time instead of bliztzing through the lot.

By Enyerbert G

Sep 3, 2020

Excellent course, I will review all the videos, the information is very complete, excellent for med and biology students. I'm impressed with the facility that teacher can simplify the content.

By Vishal L

Aug 7, 2020

Actually I'm the person who hate immunology because of lot of complications and terminologies involved. But this course helped me to clear those concepts and learn immunology in a better way.

By MATILDE I

May 25, 2021

I'm attending the last year of my Master in Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry. Even if I'm not a med student I loved this course: it was clear and in some way funny. I highly recommend it.

By Sandy

Mar 31, 2020

Professor Novotny is one of the best teachers I have seen, she has such a good sense of humor and she makes learning fun and easy....and I love the owl T-Shirts she wears! 8-)

By Jessica A

Jan 28, 2021

I just love it, PhD. Alma Moon is just one of the best teachers I have seen, very clear explanations and analytical exams. Really really good course. Thank you so much for that.

By Luisa F D B

Jul 27, 2020

I really liked this course, I am a doctorate student with no medical or human biology background so this course was a really great start for me to introduce myself in immunology

By Lexi K

Nov 30, 2020

Dr. Novotny is an absolute master of creating cohesive, intuitively structured and enjoyable lectures. This course is a wonderful learning opportunity and I fully recommend!

By Dan A

Mar 14, 2021

I love this instructor! she explains things so well with touch of personality that, for me, made the information more fun to compartmentalize and absorb for the long term.

By Fariel S

Nov 14, 2020

great course. fantastic lecturer.. however, it would possibly have been more interesting if the correct answers were not shown after making a mistake in the first attempt

By Bright C J

Dec 10, 2020

This course is highly recommended as it opens the innate conceptualization of the fundamentals of Immunology. Excellent delivery from the Rice University management team,

By Muhammed S K M

Jun 9, 2020

The way of teaching and the way of conducting tests are excellent. I was not much interested in immunology until I start this course but now I started loving the subject.

By Irina S

Mar 29, 2020

This is an amazing course where all scientific materials presented in a very interesting, engaging and easily comprehensive way be the brilliant Professor A. M. Novotny

By harshal

Dec 12, 2019

This course is an amazing introduction to immunology. It really helps to understand the basic concepts and helps to alleviate the theories and understand them better.

By Jorge L D L C O

Dec 2, 2019

Excelente curso, Alma Moon es una profesora muy didáctica. El curso se aprovecha mejor si uno ya tiene algún acercamiento con la inmunología. Gracias Rice University.

By Lorenzo T I

Oct 4, 2020

This is a knowledge-packed course and the instructor is very lively and engaging in her teaching. I would definitely finish all the courses in this specialization.

By Haydee T G

Aug 11, 2020

Excelente curso, la expositora es muy didáctica ademas de simpática. Amplio muchisimo mi conocimiento en esta área que ha avanzado increíblemente. Un gran curso.

By Mahima D

Jul 28, 2020

A difficult course for non-biologists explained in a very simple manner. I really liked the energy which with the instructor takes these classes. Appreciate it!

By Jorge L L S

Jul 18, 2020

It was an amazing course, In med school we don't receive enough immunology classes and It's really important for understanding each disease and their treatment.

By Robert N

Sep 10, 2020

Really understandable up until week 5 and 6 where it gets complex. Although the lecturer does a great job of giving real-world euphemisms for complex topics

By Samantha L

Professor Novotny creatively engages students and makes learning interesting and understandable. I really enjoyed this course and would highly recommend it.

By Dr. J M

Jul 11, 2020

I was very happy and benefitted learning this online course. Hope this has improved my basic/fundamental in immunology and will help my research as well.

By Snega M D S

Jul 3, 2020

I really loved the course and it did meet my expectation. But if the content were organised it could have been great. My instructor was really amazing.

By Irune I P B

Muy bueno, realmente está bien explicado. Es una materia compleja pero no se nota por como se explica. Muy dinámico y didáctico. Totalmente recomendado

By Annu k P

Jul 20, 2020

Its was an amazing course as I ya microbiologist student it help me alot to understand about organ, immunity, ag-ab interaction.. Really enjoyed it..