Back to Fundamentals of Immunology: Innate Immunity and B-Cell Function

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Immunology: Innate Immunity and B-Cell Function by Rice University

Course 1 of a three course specialization called Fundamentals of Immunology. Each course in the specialization presents material that builds on the previous course's material. This is the first leg of a three-part journey through the defenses your body uses to keep you healthy. In this part we hope to give you the vocabulary and concepts you need to interact with the medical community and to provide them in a context that makes them memorable. Fundamentals of Immunology introduces students to the basic functions of the adaptive and innate immune systems. The early lectures survey cells, tissues and organs using metaphors, cartoons and models to improve understanding and retention. After describing the form, function, origin and varieties of antibodies, subsequent lectures provide details on the mechanism of the generation of variation. The course provides animations of gene rearrangement and class switching and descriptions of affinity maturation correlated with detailed physical models of antibody structure. The final lecture reviews these concepts in anatomical context. Testing employs multiple choice questions testing facts, concepts, and application of principles. Questions may refer to diagrams, drawing and photographs used in lecture and reproduced in the outline. What You’ll Learn: The difference between adaptive and innate immune systems, the characteristics of various pathogens that they protect you from and the overall strategies employed in this protection. The detailed structure of antibodies and related immunoglobulin receptors, the characteristics and function of the different antibody classes and the mechanism for producing both the recognition regions and stem regions.  Finally, how these structures are coded for in the DNA and expressed in the B cells....

AR
Aug 5, 2019

So far the lecturer has been very entertaining and interesting in her explanation of various concepts of immunology. I am excited to finish this course, which will be relevant to my future studies.

BR
Nov 21, 2020

Thank you very much Professor! I really enjoyed your lessons and passion for teaching. I am glad you are able to share your talent with the world via this medium. Looking forward to the next class!

101 - 125 of 280 Reviews for Fundamentals of Immunology: Innate Immunity and B-Cell Function

By Jatin P

Mar 24, 2020

I like a lot about immunology. I have learnt a lot from this which will help me in my professional field!!!!

By MOHAMED M P

Oct 1, 2020

This is a very nice course for beginners and for persons who are interested to know more about immunology

By Juan P

Jul 21, 2021

The coursera was wonderfull, the teacher is very didact and nice. Thanks Cousera and Tanks RIce Uniersity

By Rui H

Nov 16, 2019

It is a wonderful course that provides a good way for me to understand the basic concepts in Immunology.

By Inés K

Oct 6, 2020

Great course, maybe a little too detailed for my taste or needs, but very nicely presented. I loved it!

By Kaeli D

Jan 11, 2021

You’ll learn a lot so buckle up! She keeps it interesting though and explains things very concisely.

By Havian D

Aug 22, 2020

I really felt a lot of improvements and I hope I can improve my studies after joining this lecture

By MARIA D C C R

Jul 26, 2021

Es un gran curso, bastante completo y con todos los elementos para seguir estudiando y avanzando

By Gurumanickam

Jun 1, 2021

Wonderful course regarding B-Cell function. I gave me a larger perspective about human immunity

By Patricia C B

Aug 31, 2020

Excelent. Congratulations. I have learned a lot. Very organized lectures, tests and handout.

By Urmila H P

Aug 5, 2020

It was very helpful for me . I learnt about different immunological funtion for this course.

By Juliana T

Apr 11, 2021

Professor Alma is great! I really enjoyed her classes! I have learned more than I expected.

By Natalia V

Sep 28, 2020

All tthe materials that given is nice and good! I learned a lot from this course, thankyou.

By Ioannis P

Feb 18, 2021

Just an excellent fully detailed and something more than complete course about Immunology.

By Wuttipong P

Dec 7, 2020

Excellent class to learn about the immune function which can be used in academic research

By Ludis O

EXCELENTE Y FELICITACIONES, LA ORIENTADORA FUE VITAL EN EL PROCESO DE APRENDIZAJE

GRACIAS

By Lenize A C

May 6, 2020

Curso maravilhoso com materiais excelentes e uma professora super didática e carismática!

By Massiel R

Feb 9, 2021

Just amazing I loved the teacher and her creative ability to teach such a dense subject.

By Marina P

May 8, 2020

Great teacher and the structure of the course!! For the, the best out of three offered!

By abirami s

Apr 30, 2020

it is an elaborated , tailor made course for me to know what exactly immunology means

By Jay P

Jun 29, 2020

Dr. Novotny is a wonderful professor that I wish I had as a teacher in my university.

By CASTILLO V L

Nov 4, 2021

Amazingly good course, starting in the immunology world and this couldn't be better.

By Ayush J

Jan 22, 2021

Excellent and entertaining course with lots of knowledge in a well-structured manner

By Ibrahim K

Jun 5, 2020

Excellent course on Immunology. Everything is explained down to the molecular level.

By Sikandar K

Apr 12, 2020

It is so good providing us the basic knowledge about this. Boosting our confidence