Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

JC

Apr 29, 2020

Very informative and very well organised course and it really helped me provide a good insight into the world of Biotechnology, the applications in the health sector and its potential in the future.

JQ

Aug 07, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and although I am not a chemist nor a research biotech guy, I am a dentist that enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about industrial biotechnology. Thanks so much!

26 - 50 of 200 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By Anas m S S i

Apr 30, 2020

the first week was so of point but the other weeks are grate

and the other star for not having a certificate :(

By BEATRIZ L P

Apr 06, 2020

Great course, however you must offer a certificate

By shreemaya r

Dec 15, 2019

This was a very interesting course. It showcased a variety of techniques that are currently being applied in the field of biotechnology. This course provided a wide variety of industrial applications of biotechnology being applied in various sectors.

By Deepak Y

Apr 12, 2020

Helpfull

By Wael G E

Jan 28, 2020

a very nice course for a beginner like me to start understanding the wonderful world of biotechnology in industry. I would like to improve in this course is to offer a certificate of achievement.

By Shivani N L

Apr 15, 2020

It could've been more interactive and the notes in the ppt's more short and sweet .

By Sebastian S

Apr 01, 2020

Usable as a very general overview, detailed insight lacking.

By Wong K H

May 16, 2018

Highly useful. But I wish there was an explanation for terms

By Vedika N

Feb 02, 2020

i really like the course and it was quite informative

By Sonali k

May 16, 2020

This course was very helpful and provide lot of information

By Patricia M N

May 05, 2020

Thanks to all professors of the Industrial Biotechnology course. The course syllabus was very well designed with every topic being taught in depth; which allowed me to learn a lot and enjoy each topic. My only complaint is that given the advanced level of the course there was not certificate available. I would like that in the future the University of Manchester offers in Coursera a specialization degree in Industrial Biotechnology and later a master and doctorate degree in the same field.

Besides, I would like that, given the depth experience of University of Manchester in this field, also offer courses in Molecular Tools for microorganism identification in soils and water and Microbial inoculant formulation for environmental and agriculture uses.

Thanks again for this wonderful course,

Patricia Martinez

Best Regards,

Patricia Martinez

Mostrar mensaje original

By Manish K

May 01, 2020

This is one of the best courses available on Coursera for the Biotech enthusiasts. Each module/chapter is designed in a way that covers a lot of important topics. The lectures are recorded by highly experienced industry experts cum professors. I have learned a great deal out of it. If given a chance (many variables) I would personally like to attend a masters or doctoral program in this university.

I am a bit disappointed by the fact that the course doesn't offer a certificate. But I would still give it a 5 star for the excellent course structure and contents.

By Farah G

Dec 15, 2017

Even as a graduate student in MSC biotechnology, i found this course immensely helpful in not only acting as a refresher for all the basic stuff ,but also a good update on the new things going on in parts that are not in my immediate interest. Thanks to the awesome Manchester team for an amazing Mooc!

By Akhilesh G

Apr 09, 2019

Overall, a great brush-up course for a biotechnologist but is not at all recommadable to someone new to this field. Applicative part is imprevise and i learnt many new things about molecules i knew but did not acknowledge. I would refer this course to every biotechnology aspirant.

By Kamini T

May 06, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. This course is very interesting and very helpful for me. This course gives me alot of knowledge and interest in this course.I learn many things from this course and really i enjoyed this course...Great course.

By Arune V

Jan 01, 2020

Really enjoyed the insightful pieces of experience the professors give us about what they do within the field of Industrial Biotechnology along with their description of whatever concept they explain. Keep up the good work!

By Bensaadi H T

Apr 11, 2020

It was really a nice course, I enjoyed every bit of it, the lectures had covered all the essential subjects of the Industrial Biotechnology, thanks for everyone who participated in the creation of this high quality course!

By Waqar A

May 15, 2020

It was the most helpful course i found bundle of knowledge and information about working of enzymes action and activities in pharmaceutical making and different enzymes degradations in the future for Biotechnology.

By Maria B

Sep 18, 2018

Very good overview. One will find new and deepening knowledge no matter what background one comes from. I’m from an engineering school and this was both a good repetition in some areas and an eyeopener in other.

By Olivia L

Aug 07, 2017

Great course delivered by experts in the field! I would thoroughly recommend this course to anyone interested in biotechnology. I have a degree in chemistry and I found this course to be very enjoyable!

By George N E

Nov 19, 2017

An eye-opener indeed. Particularly on the trends and prospects in the application of bio-molecular techniques in the industries and the in silico design and modification of enzymes ; fascinating indeed.

By Megan B

May 12, 2020

Really educational course. Good case studies. Good Introduction to the industrial biology world. Nice mix of instructors with different specialties. I feel like I've learned a lot!

By Vandita V

May 09, 2020

Very informative course. Starts with the basics and gradually introduces and builds upon the concepts. The questions in the assessment are also very well made.

By Shivani d

May 06, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and although . I am a student that enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about industrial biotechnology ...Thanku so much

By Patel A R

Best course that provides the structure and applications with various day to day life examples, techiques of the Industrial biotechnology.