Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

MK
Mar 5, 2021

Great course. Im a chemical engineering, applying for master's in Chemical Biotechnology. This course really helped in understanding the basics of this amazing field. Thanks guys. Humans are awesome.

JC
Apr 28, 2020

Very informative and very well organised course and it really helped me provide a good insight into the world of Biotechnology, the applications in the health sector and its potential in the future.

51 - 75 of 523 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By Antonio J

Feb 18, 2021

Se trata de un curso muy interesante e instructivo enfocado a comprender algo más el rol que tiene la biotecnología a nivel industrial, papel que no se trata tanto en la universidad donde se da mayor importancia a la investigación. En conclusión gran curso que sirve como complemento o como iniciación a a la biotecnología.

By Ilya G

Jun 15, 2020

Good introduction in to the area. Gives even a non-specialist a good understanding of the current state, trends and developments in the field and related areas, as well as provides numerous sources for further reading. I enjoyed taking it, and hope that investing in this course will later pay off by advancing my career.

By Aman P

Dec 10, 2020

This is a very much informative and interesting course. I can’t express my feelings that How much I am excited to complete this fantastic course. A very much standing ovation to the course makers and professors. Thanking you all for the fantastic course which helps in boosting my knowledge in the area of Biotechnology.

By Bhaskar J N

Sep 4, 2020

An excellent introductory course for researchers of Industrial biotechnology. Every aspects of of advancements of industrial applications of biological systems were covered and well explained by experts of respective fields. I highly recommend this course for fellow researchers focused in bio-industrial sector.

By M. S

Aug 1, 2020

This was a very informative and insightful course about the numerous applications of Biotechnology in the industry, and also about the growing futuristic trends in the fields of biopharmaceuticals, bioenergy and biomaterials.

I sincerely thank the course instructors for putting up this wonderful course.

By Farah G

Dec 15, 2017

Even as a graduate student in MSC biotechnology, i found this course immensely helpful in not only acting as a refresher for all the basic stuff ,but also a good update on the new things going on in parts that are not in my immediate interest. Thanks to the awesome Manchester team for an amazing Mooc!

By Akhilesh G

Apr 9, 2019

Overall, a great brush-up course for a biotechnologist but is not at all recommadable to someone new to this field. Applicative part is imprevise and i learnt many new things about molecules i knew but did not acknowledge. I would refer this course to every biotechnology aspirant.

By Lahiru P H

Sep 26, 2021

The course was super awesome... Thank you for offering me a financial aid and for issuing the certificate without any discrimination.... Thanks a lot COURSERA and THE UNIVERSTY of MANCHESTER... I love its content and I'm sure that one won't regret to spare time on this !!!

By Aedrian A

Jan 18, 2021

This is an extremely interesting course and has widened my understanding of career & research options in biotechnology. Nevertheless, I think that at least a collegiate-level grasp of biology and chemistry is necessary to appreciate the material.

By Yatin T

Feb 7, 2021

It was a wonderful experience learning this course which such great experienced professors. This course helped us with great understanding of the role that pharmaceuticals play in day to day life. Would recommend many more to do this course.

By Claudia R

Dec 30, 2020

This course was wonderful, it make more interested about the biochemical engineering branch being a chemical engineering undergraduate student, I hope someday I could make a master about this topic in Manchester University. I really love it.

By Kamini T

May 6, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. This course is very interesting and very helpful for me. This course gives me alot of knowledge and interest in this course.I learn many things from this course and really i enjoyed this course...Great course.

By youssef b

Apr 7, 2021

c'est un cours très intéressant, il occupe tous ce qui est en relation avec les bioénergies , l'ingénierie eczématique, aussi les domaines de biopharmaceutique et le design des biomatériaux. excellent cours et je vous remercier infiniment

By A G

Jul 26, 2020

Great insight offered by University of Manchester into the field of Industrial Biotechnology. Being a Chemical Engineering student, I learnt a lot, especially the industrial aspects, and realized the tremendous potential in this subject.

By Arune V

Dec 31, 2019

Really enjoyed the insightful pieces of experience the professors give us about what they do within the field of Industrial Biotechnology along with their description of whatever concept they explain. Keep up the good work!

By Bensaadi H T E

Apr 11, 2020

It was really a nice course, I enjoyed every bit of it, the lectures had covered all the essential subjects of the Industrial Biotechnology, thanks for everyone who participated in the creation of this high quality course!

By Rodrigo T B

Aug 27, 2020

Great Course to keep the knowledge fresh and also to learn a lot about different ways in which you can innovate in Biotechnology. I struggled a little with week four, but anyways it was a great course I enjoyed it, Thanks

By Venkataraghavan R

Jul 30, 2020

The course from Manchester University, England, has provided the essential insights and scintillated on the cutting-edge technology in Industrial Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, and Biopharmaceutical Technology.

By Laura W

Feb 2, 2021

Very informative course which was very accessible to a Materials Scientist background. Thanks. Covered a range of case studies which gave a good flavour of the wide-reaching applications of industrial biotechnology.

By Waqar A

May 15, 2020

It was the most helpful course i found bundle of knowledge and information about working of enzymes action and activities in pharmaceutical making and different enzymes degradations in the future for Biotechnology.

By Vivek B

Oct 5, 2020

The course on Industrial Biotechnology was well structured. All the lectures were excellent and given deep insight in application and synthesis of enzymes, biomaterial, bioenergy and pharmaceuticals. Thank You.

By Maria B

Sep 18, 2018

Very good overview. One will find new and deepening knowledge no matter what background one comes from. I’m from an engineering school and this was both a good repetition in some areas and an eyeopener in other.

By GAUTAM P

Jul 23, 2021

This course was very helpful as it would definitely help me to further my career in Industrial Biotechnology.Thanks to all the lecturers who take their valuable time offering insights and ideas about the topic.

By BODGAMWALA H K

Sep 20, 2020

Well designed Course. It gives a brief knowledge on all the important topics of Industrial Biotechnology and explaination of each of the professor is amazing. I learned a lot from this short course. Thank you!!

By Olivia L

Aug 7, 2017

Great course delivered by experts in the field! I would thoroughly recommend this course to anyone interested in biotechnology. I have a degree in chemistry and I found this course to be very enjoyable!