Back to Severe to Profound Intellectual Disability: Circles of Care and Education

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Severe to Profound Intellectual Disability: Circles of Care and Education by University of Cape Town

This course is about caring for and educating children (and youth) with severe to profound intellectual disability. We use the idea of 'circles' to position the child at the center of the many levels of support needed. Around the child are circles of care and education - such as the parents, family, friends, caregivers, educators, health care workers and others such as neighbors, business owners and community members. Each one has an important role to play in the life of a person with an intellectual disability and can be seen as a caregiver and educator. Although this course is aimed particularly at caregivers who work at a special centre or in a private home, each person in the circle of care and education plays a valuable role and will find the course useful. During the course you can gain greater understanding about intellectual disability, levels of severity of intellectual disability and the history of intellectual disability. You will also start to understand how you can support children and youth with severe to profound intellectual disability so that they can reach their full potential and become participating members of society. We look at lifelong learning by exploring brain development, the learning process and how to maximise the opportunities for learning. With input from a range of experts, we consider how best learning can be facilitated. This includes looking at children’s learning support needs, how to go about planning activities for the learning programme as well as how to empower multiple people who work in a team to care and educate children with severe to profound intellectual disability. In the last week, we focus on rights, advocacy and relationships of care. Empowering and caring for caregivers themselves is a key focus of the course. For professional development purposes, you can purchase a Verified Certificate if you wish to show evidence of your achievements, but this is optional, and you can apply for Financial Aid if you are unable to pay the certificate fee....

JR
Jul 9, 2020

This course was interesting, engaging, and informative. As a pre-health student, I have learned a lot that will be helpful in my future pursuits.

CL
Apr 13, 2020

Interesting and thought-provoking content for those already knowledgeable of this field and for those less experienced in this area.

1 - 15 of 15 Reviews for Severe to Profound Intellectual Disability: Circles of Care and Education

By Geetika S

Jul 29, 2020

I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. It has truly enriched my knowledge in the space of intellectual disability.

By Alonso Z

May 3, 2020

I loved this course; it really helped me to better understand and helped those involved in the circles of care and education in the severe to profound intellectual disability population. It is important to educated our general public that this vulnerable population can also learned and expressed their feelings and it should be our duty to helped them reach their full potential and acceptance in our society.

By Vetrova M A

Apr 1, 2020

Тема выраженных интеллектуальных нарушений практически не затрагивается образовательными курсами. Найти информацию по работе с детьми с тяжелой и глубокой умственной отсталостью чрезвычайно сложно. Поэтому я была приятно удивлена, когда нашла эту программу. Она сделана очень качественно, хорошо подобраны обучающие и тестовые материалы, лекторов было приятно и интересно слушать.

By Chahat�Baweja

Jul 28, 2020

The course included the interaction with the caregivers of children with severe to profound intellectual disability which added a personal touch to the course. The structure of the course was also very nicely planned. The last week which focused on importance of self care for the caregivers was also great!

By Jessica H

Mar 31, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. It was well planned and conducted and has opened my mind to a new world of care. Lastly, it has tied in well with the sociology and psychology courses that I've completed and am completing at UCT.

By Jennifer R

Jul 9, 2020

By Rana M A

Jul 22, 2020

I really appreciate your great team work on this class, its so helpful for me as a Teacher and a researcher on intellectual disability.

By Chrisette L

Apr 14, 2020

By Jaipril L M

Apr 13, 2020

Thank you for this course! I have learned a lot of things thru the video and readings!

By Ramya B

The course was Excellent and the way it describe was so easy to understand

By Pol L

Nov 3, 2020

This course is very informative.

By Mariam B

Jun 19, 2020

very informative

By virginia i

Apr 28, 2020

It opens one's mind to the real world of education for children with intellectual disability and leads to the inclusive society for the people of determination.

By Sheena P

Jun 7, 2020

I really enjoyed participating in this course.

By Maxine B